Welcome to the world: Thailand ready to stage historic MotoGP

webfact

Welcome to the world: Thailand ready to stage historic MotoGP

By Lerpong Amsa-ngiam 
The Nation

fa6cd10a4b24e6c4bc3f0eca68e9745c.jpeg

Minister of Tourism and Sports Weerasak Kowsurat, left, with Tanaisiri Chanvitayarom, managing director, Buriram United International Circuit, right, discuss the state of preparations for Thailand’s first MotoGP. Photo by Wanchai Kraisornkhajit

Minister of Tourism and Sports, Weerasak Kowsurat is upbeat about the state of preparations for Thailand’s first ever MotoGP event next month.

The inaugural event, at the Chang International Circuit between October 5-7, will be the first in a three-year deal between the Sports Authority of Thailand and Dorna Sports, at an annual cost of Bt100 million.

SAT, on behalf of Ministry of Tourism and Sports, and in collaboration with Buriram Provincial Government Office and main sponsor PTT, yesterday held its final pre-race media conference and announced their readiness to stage the historic event.

“This is a monumental leap forward for Thailand and demonstrates our capacity to host a world-class sporting event which will be broadcast to more than 800 million viewers worldwide,” Weerasak said.

b65e20fcba940116ab1fe5e9e3b5fb55.jpeg

“Thailand is now fully prepared to accommodate hundreds of thousands of racers, motorsport fans, and local and foreign visitors flocking to Thailand and Buriram province,” added the minister, who predicted that the Grand Prix would generate Bt1 billion revenue to the Kingdom and attract more than 100,000 people to Buriram.

In terms of the venue, Tanaisiri Chanvitayarom, managing director of the Buriram United International Circuit, said the track and its facilities had been renovated to ensure a successful organisation.

“We are currently working very hard to ensure everything is in top condition and we will definitely be ready to welcome everyone by race week. We have been expanding our stands so spectators can catch the action from every vantage point,” he said.

Parking areas have been expanded around Buriram’s Muang district to maximise convenience for visitors. There are free shuttle buses to the circuit, while 26 parking areas for cars and motorcycle inside and outside the circuit’s compound will be able to accommodate more than 10,000 vehicles.

Tanaisiri also added that the media centre had been modified to facilitate journalists from around the world while additional media pavilions had been created to provide support for Thai journalists.

Apart from the race, there will also be other activities and entertainment, including a Muay Thai Expo and bouts featuring legendary Muay Thai boxers such as Samart Payakaroon and Somluck Kamsing on October 5.

On the evening of Saturday, October 6, motorsport fans can switch gears and enjoy performances at a Chang Music Connection concert, which will feature top Thai acts such as Waan Thanakrit, Atom Chanakant and Getsunova.

The grand weekend will end with a bang as girl group BNK48 will perform a mini-concert on Sunday, October 7.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/sports/30355114

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-09-25
  • Like 1

They're expecting 100,000 people to turn up, yet providing parking for only 10,000 cars....!

So I'd expect a few to arrive on motorcycles, but I can't see most of the cars containing close to 10 people...

It'll be chaos (like T/L usually is of course) .  

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, mike324 said:

They would get so much more visitors and attendees if the track was somewhere between Bangkok and Pattaya. But this is all politics, which s why the track was built in buriram.

Don't worry if it makes a healthy profit it will end up elsewhere, maybe in Phuket.

How often will this "track" be used this year after this one gala affair?  Or is it to be only a one occasion ripoff?  Just curious.

Incidentally, the so-called planned "activities, and entertainment"  do not seem particularly interesting, unusual or different from other events Thais put on but then maybe the only attendees will be Thais.  How many non-Thai visitors will know or be interested in listening to local groups singing in Thai or very poor English and watch a "Muay Thai Expo and bouts featuring legendary Muay Thai boxers such as Samart Payakaroon and Somluck Kamsing" who are probably not known outside of Thailand.

'nuf sed

Edited by wotsdermatter

There is no way they will get 100,000 people. I think Assen is the only circuit that gets that many. Still, I am sure they will doctor the attendance figures !  The traffic will be chaotic.  Pity all the big truck drivers bringing the equipment and bikes from BKK. Its a long slow journey.

1 hour ago, steve73 said:

They're expecting 100,000 people to turn up, yet providing parking for only 10,000 cars....!

So I'd expect a few to arrive on motorcycles, but I can't see most of the cars containing close to 10 people...

It'll be chaos (like T/L usually is of course) .  

I've been to dozens of moto gp and world super bike.brands hatch being one of the biggest meetings in the world during the days of carl foggerty.im going buriram for this moto gp and if a 100,000 people turn up there it will be hell.ive booked my room about 9 months ago but I'm thinking of taking some mama noodles and water because I can see some serious queues.

2 hours ago, boonrawdcnx said:

Yes and hotel rooms seem to be a real challenge - there aren’t so many I hear.
Probably sleeping in tents is the solution.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I tried several months ago to book 2 hotel rooms within 100 km of the track. Nothing available. One room was for a friend who was coming to Thailand for the event. He's not coming now (would have spent 2 weeks here).

So much for boosting tourism!

11 minutes ago, wotsdermatter said:

How often will this "track" be used after this one event?  Or is it to be only a one event ripoff?  Just curious.

'nuf sed

It also stages the World Superbikes another prestigious international event as well as Asian superbike events, as for the 4 wheelers not sure, no doubt also big events. 

• Like 1

The outlawed politican Khun Chit-chob  hails from Bring-me-rum province.  

He started up his own fa-lung soccer team + stadium out there.  I suppose he will be involved in this event .

I went to a F1 race once . The cars just go round and round and round again.  Nothing happens.

F##king  boring. Much rather watch female beach volleyball with isaan girls in Foooket.

8 hours ago, webfact said:

“This is a monumental leap forward for Thailand and demonstrates our capacity to host a world-class sporting event which will be broadcast to more than 800 million viewers worldwide,” Weerasak said.

Id  wait until after youve  done it before  announcing  it.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, wotsdermatter said:

How often will this "track" be used this year after this one gala affair?  Or is it to be only a one occasion ripoff?  Just curious.

Incidentally, the so-called planned "activities, and entertainment"  do not seem particularly interesting, unusual or different from other events Thais put on but then maybe the only attendees will be Thais.  How many non-Thai visitors will know or be interested in listening to local groups singing in Thai or very poor English and watch a "Muay Thai Expo and bouts featuring legendary Muay Thai boxers such as Samart Payakaroon and Somluck Kamsing" who are probably not known outside of Thailand.

'nuf sed

the track is used all the time. this is the start of the MotoGP races in Thailand. Scheduled every year. the facilities are huge. 

Edited by NCC1701A
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, wotsdermatter said:

'nuf sed

So they should import an English band to cater to the crowd who will be predominately Thai? And maybe a game of cricket?

I think you may be overestimating your own importance.

Give me Morlam sing and the sexy dancing girls that go with it over some frumpy English singer any day. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Dave67 said:

100,000 people in for shock when they get to Buriram only 1 7/11 there

Upcountry i can't even order a hotdog in the 711 because they have no idea what i mean......

Will be fun to hear what the European racers eat in Buriram.....i bet they bring cans of beans with them.

1 minute ago, Thian said:

Upcountry i can't even order a hotdog in the 711 because they have no idea what i mean......

Will be fun to hear what the European racers eat in Buriram.....i bet they bring cans of beans with them.

They have their own arrangements that travel with them

26 minutes ago, Pete1980 said:

So they should import an English band to cater to the crowd who will be predominately Thai? And maybe a game of cricket?

I think you may be overestimating your own importance.

Give me Morlam sing and the sexy dancing girls that go with it over some frumpy English singer any day. 

You'll miss them mate..

• Sad 1