Is the new law on rentals being observed? In my experience, 100% NO.

As of May, rentees who have 5 or more units are not allowed to charge more for electric than the actual billed amount (Is that 5 BHT per (electrical) unit?).

I did find a rental company of condos that stated they only charge the actual charge (more on them later).

But otherwise I'm being quoted 8/9/10/12 per unit.

Places are openly advertising such.

For water 1 place (a dump) said zero but otherwise I'm quoted flat rates or various unit rates.

The condo rental company is taking 2 months rent for a deposit (rather than the 1 allowed) plus 1 month for security (damage) if I understood correctly.

I didn't query the other rentals on that aspect.

Has anyone reported such? What result if so?

I know TIT and all that but one really can't say the new law is worthless unless one tries to have it enforced.

Edited by JimmyJ

Does the new law apply to Hotels/Guesthouses/Inns/Residences etc. which rent monthly and demand rent and security deposits?

"The new laws apply all residential property, including houses, condominium units and apartments.

According to Thailandproperty.news, the new laws represent major changes to Thailand’s property sector.

But it’s not all good news.

The new laws only apply to landlords who own five or more properties."

If so, would "five or more properties"= five or more rental units at the same property?

My guess is that most “Condo Agents” or rental offices at a specific condo are representing a pool of individual condo owners who Individually own a few units (less than 5)... Therefore these units are not covered by the law.

But if I were in the market to rent I would hold firm on the electric rate no matter the case.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, ChakaKhan said:

So if Im following this right--If there are more than 5 rooms for rent in my building the power rate is supposed to be 5bt?  And they are only to be charging one months deposit as i paid double that for deposit and paying 8-unit-power..

It depends on who owns the rooms in your building?... Is it one owner or are the units in your building owned by a number of individual owners and managed by a building manager?

• Thanks 1

Seems this law is to protect tenants against professional greedy unfair landlords with a whole building with individual rooms for rent and or just many rooms for rent to stop overcharging them their tenants for electricity water and not returning deposits for rooms with nothing more inside then a bed..

an individual with a condo or a house can agree whatever is agreed up on in the drafted rent agreement between the tenant and landlord..

3 month deposit or 1 month or whatever.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Whether something is illegal or not has absolutely no relevance in Thailand.

As I stated in the OP, there is no way to know in the case of these new laws if the agency responsible for enforcing them is serious or not without making complaints.

On 9/25/2018 at 11:54 AM, sfokevin said:

It depends on who owns the rooms in your building?... Is it one owner or are the units in your building owned by a number of individual owners and managed by a building manager?

It is a apartment complex with ONE owner...they do a few rooms daily as well..

I have been apt hunting and was talking to a building owner and she kinda comfirmed the 5 bt law.and said she was concerned about her common area billing...I did also notice Baan Thai on Nimman charges 5 bt power BUT also charges a "common fee" I think to pad the extra power costs..kinda like HOA fees.....

My place has about 17 rooms--few monthly and more daily but not sure of the balance..of course also due to they can get more cash of a daily rate...but would sure be nice to pay 5 bt and ONE months deposit....

On 9/25/2018 at 9:52 PM, theguyfromanotherforum said:

Those "serviced" apartments where you could literally rent by a month were always a good deal for a reason. If they start charging government rates, expect the prices to go up. It's that simple. 

If so, fine.

Then there will be a uniform increase for all.

Currently some suffer 

to save money, and those who want to be comfortable and not awash in sweat are gouged and forced to be the tenants who increase the profits of greedy landlords.

Edited by JimmyJ

22 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

If so, fine.

Then there will be a uniform increase for all.

Currently some suffer 

to save money, and those who want to be comfortable and not awash in sweat are gouged and forced to be the tenants who increase the profits of greedy landlords.

That would be me....

On 9/26/2018 at 5:40 PM, Wake Up said:

I guess I am missing something. Every condo I have rented in Bangkok I paid the utility bill directly to the utility company with no mark up. For water I did pay the jurisdic office which may have a higher fee for water. 

My experience is the same as yours and the water fee has always been 5 baht per unit paid to the management office. I don’t know if this is high or not for water but I know it is so cheap I have never bothered to check.

• Like 1

I think you will have a problem with older condo buildings and the older buildings named “Mansions”... these older buildings have one main meter with PEA/MEA and then the building maintains private meters (which can be purchased at HomePro) on each unit to apportion the cost - With a markup.

Edited by sfokevin
  • Like 1

We live in a nice little low-rise apt of three apt blocks. Electric and water were decreased but a b300 general services was tagged in monthly. We save about B150 from prior with a combined utility bill 1200-1750 depending. Now maxes about 15-1600. Nice place but office staff lazy af. Of course 300 is not in contract but we've been m2m for years.

When asked about the 300 said is was for grounds and lift. I asked then why higher floors were more expensive, the electric was included in the rent. She shrugged.

It's still good value but we are looking for a condo to buy when the market softens further.

We live in a nice little low-rise apt of three apt blocks. Electric and water were decreased but a b300 general services was tagged in monthly. We save about B150 from prior with a combined utility bill 1200-1750 depending. Now maxes about 15-1600. Nice place but office staff lazy af. Of course 300 is not in contract but we've been m2m for years.

When asked about the 300 said is was for grounds and lift. I asked then why higher floors were more expensive, the electric was included in the rent. She shrugged.

It's still good value but we are looking for a condo to buy when the market softens further.
What market is softening? BKK keeps jumping in multiples including the finished Q condo adjoining Nana bts in a red light DISTRICT For 1 to 5 million... USA DOLLARS!!

I still have friends waiting for the baht to crash and the bubble to burst from 15 years ago when I bought in lower Sukhumvit... Needles to say they are still renting

Don't listen to the nonsense spewed here by folks without 2 satang to rub together

Just some friendly advice.. BKK market will govern to a certain degree where the market is heading