Do you think a "Holiday Club" would work?

Philip550

Maybe this has been done before but I'd like to start a Holiday Club for lack of a better term. I've been to Thailand many times but mostly with travel buddies.  Since 2001, these have been the best days of my life.  I'm 67 now and both of my good friends I have been to LOS with a bunch of times have passed away.  I've always considered myself pretty easy to get along with, I can share an interesting story or two, have a few beers and play in the bars.  However, the 4 times I have been there alone, it's not been easy to find a few farangs to really hang out with. Seems like most are with their own "clicks" which is understandable.   So I usually just hang with a lady for a while then on to the next.  But when with travel companions,  I really enjoyed waking up, going for breakfast, telling bulls**t stories from the night before, playing pool, the beach or whatever, then hitting the bars together in the evening.  It sure would be nice if there was a place here or somewhere, that one could put in their vacation schedule and maybe some personal info about age, what they like to do, country of origin and then set a real date to meet up.  If for some reason there is not much friend chemistry then, oh well, go your separate ways.  I would imagine some already do this on this TV forum but I'm talking about a bit more formal process.  What do you more informed guys think?  Thanks Phil

• Like 1

Interesting thoughts. I have thought about similar situations myself, but not from the angle of the "passing in and out tourist"..but from the angle of a person residing in this lovely land.

I had a very normal "social" life before I had to give up the booze 18 yrs ago for medical reasons.

When I was frequenting the bars (all over Europe) I never had a problem meeting would be friends. Too much so really. On one occasion in Torremolinos, I got on so well with one partiçular from Scotland that he and myself spent our whole 3 week holiday in a bar fratinising with all who drank there ( including the owner) while our wives spent the whole holiday alone on the beach.

Now, life has completely changed and I just isolate myself more and more. Not easy being a non-drinker living amoung people who live to drink (slight Irishman's exageration).

So the one great (my view only) idea I came up with was ...to rent a Hotel conference hall once or twice a week, or as many as you like, and hold a "Dance" with music from the 60s..70's and 80's. I bet the lovely Thai ladies wouldn't be long about getting into the "Swing" of things..(not a bad place to pick up a Farang or two either).

That's my tupponce worth anyway.

OP ..keep up the good work and don't give up on the idea....Good Luck.

• Like 2

There are often facebook groups in expat areas, pattaya 24/7 etc, that have a social aspect to them. Bars and restaurants do promotions in the groups, people arrange social events. people promote there interest groups such as local fishing club etc.

18 hours ago, DJ54 said:

I traveled like a mad man on business for 20+ years. Now The closest English speaking person is 20 km away in a small town.

i like it! Peaceful!

So not a very sociable person then?