Prayer

meadish_sweetball

:o

What is prayer? Does it exist as part of recommended practice in Buddhism? Is it mentioned in the scriptures, and if so, what do they say about it?

There is a concept in the Thai languages which is often translated as 'prayer' but I do not know how it differs from my understanding of 'prayer'?

For me, according to my limited understanding, prayer is when you attempt to communicate with a higher being which you believe has supernatural powers. It is part of recommended practice for Christians, because they believe it can help direct their God to aid whatever cause it is you are praying for.

However, it seems that for Christians, on a more advanced level, prayer is an wordless, intense feeling of being at one with God. At least I hear this is what some Saints have described.

It seems to me that Thais pray, at least as I understand it, when they are at the temple: i.e. they will attempt to communicate with Buddha in order to ask for favours for themselves or on somebody else's behalf. Some people have told me that Buddhists do not pray, so I am confused.

(I just read an article claiming Harvard has conducted research into whether prayer has any effect on the health/recovery process of people undergoing surgery. It was found that complications occurred in 59% of the group that was being prayed for, whereas it only occurred in 52% of the group that was not being prayed for - mentioned in http://www.educatedguesswork.org/movablety...ise_interc.html )

Peace be upon you.

Good questions...

Every step is a prayer.

The difference I see is that most Christians believe in the human will and the intellect and the power to individually and collectively push things through to completion. They have a very strong sense of right and wrong and entitlement.

Many buddhist are far more deity oriented and worship and adore various deities (Buddha, Kwan Yim, the King, Brahman statues, etc.) who they believe can help them through often mysterious spiritual means. They are more karmically oriented and less attached to changing what is happening at all costs. So prayer and acknowledgement of the divine seem a bit more evident in Thai society than in the West.

Buddhists "chant" not pray. Chanting is a recommended practice in Buddhism. I think the difference is there is not god or "buddha" they chant to; they are just doing it to pay respect to the Buddha by praising him and reciting his various sermons (even though the chants are in another language most cannot understand). There are some "blessing" chants but they are done by the monks to the lay people.

Maybe someone is "praying" to the Buddha but its strictly not Buddhism, more likely something other belief being confused or mixed with Buddhism. The buddhas last words was "strive on (by yourself) with diligence."

Grover, your reply is similar to what I have heard... the problem is it does not ring true with my personal experience of what the vast majority of people do in the temple - unless you disqualify these people as not being Buddhists.

I have seen chanting performed by monks and occasionally by older men with an honorary function in the village - but most villagers you never hear chanting - they just wai while the monks are chanting.

The most common way of paying respect to a Buddha image seems to be to prostrate oneself three times in front of it and then sit in front of it with hands together in a wai, and once whatever they are doing is finished, they again prostrate themselves three times, and be on their way.

While you also see people meditating in the temples at times, this does not seem to be what most people are doing. I guess I should ask more people what is actually going on inside their minds when in this wai posture in front of a Buddha image in the temple. Perhaps they are chanting internally.

Here is a simple translation of the most common buddhist prayer you are likely to hear in Thailand:

NAMO TASSA BHAGAVATO ARAHATO SAMMASAMBUDDHASSA

Honour To Him The Blessed One

The Worthy One

The Fully Enlightened One

------

Don't take people who tell you Thais don't pray very seriously. You will also hear that most Thais don't believe in God (Phra Jao), but if you ask them yourself, you will find they believe in Phra Jao Yu Hua completely and worship him and love him.

You will also hear that most Thais don't believe in God (Phra Jao), but if you ask them yourself, you will find they believe in Phra Jao Yu Hua completely and worship him and love him.

I'm not entirely sure if you are trying to prove the point that I am comparing apples and oranges when trying to compare Buddhist and Christian concepts, or if you have misinterpreted who Phra Jao Yu Hua actually refers to?

Grover, your reply is similar to what I have heard... the problem is it does not ring true with my personal experience of what the vast majority of people do in the temple - unless you disqualify these people as not being Buddhists.

I have seen chanting performed by monks and occasionally by older men with an honorary function in the village - but most villagers you never hear chanting - they just wai while the monks are chanting.

The most common way of paying respect to a Buddha image seems to be to prostrate oneself three times in front of it and then sit in front of it with hands together in a wai, and once whatever they are doing is finished, they again prostrate themselves three times, and be on their way.

While you also see people meditating in the temples at times, this does not seem to be what most people are doing. I guess I should ask more people what is actually going on inside their minds when in this wai posture in front of a Buddha image in the temple. Perhaps they are chanting internally.

As far as I know, there is no praying in Buddhism, but there is chanting and shows of devotion. Thais do pray at temple however, and my girlfriend does every night befor she goes to sleep. I've asked her and others to whom they are praying, and all I ever get back is "spirits". I assume it's a combination of Buddhism, animism, brahmanism, and ancestor worship that has rooted itself in the Thai culture. Generally she prays to be a better person and keep the precepts, but she tells me other :o people pray for good fortune.

You will also hear that most Thais don't believe in God (Phra Jao), but if you ask them yourself, you will find they believe in Phra Jao Yu Hua completely and worship him and love him.

I'm not entirely sure if you are trying to prove the point that I am comparing apples and oranges when trying to compare Buddhist and Christian concepts, or if you have misinterpreted who Phra Jao Yu Hua actually refers to?

I think you are very much comparing apples and apples, perhaps slightly different varieties. Comparative religion is a marvellous endeavor. Islam, Buddhism, Christianity and Hinduism all include a rich tradition of prayer as do many other spiritual practices throughout the ages. If one googles Buddhist prayers you can find a delicious assortment of Mahayana and Theravadan prayers!

Phra Jao Yu Hua refers to the great caretaker of the Thai people - Bhumibhol, who brings joy to all!

It's not that they are not Buddhists but they have mixed some other external belief with Buddhism (its all Buddhism to them). To put it another way, praying is not Dhamma (teachings of the Buddha), but if they do it, it doesn't disqualify them from being Buddhist. At least thats my impression.

Lay people can chant too, but since most people find it a mind-numbing activity you won't see it often. But lay people can definitly do some chants - but many are exclusively for the monks

its just about showing your respect and awe for the Buddhas high spiritual state and compassion, teaching ability, etc. It is not prayer.

While you also see people meditating in the temples at times, this does not seem to be what most people are doing.

yeh most are sleeping in the sitting position

I guess I should ask more people what is actually going on inside their minds when in this wai posture in front of a Buddha image in the temple. Perhaps they are chanting internally.

i've seen that too, I think they are professing their respect etc, but perhaps some are "praying" eg asking to win the lotto etc.

The buddha emphasised karma, that is taking responsibility for the intention behind your action rather than placing faith in something or someone to answer your prayers.

Friday night I was on a train from Chiang Mai to Bangkok when it derailed around 1am near Sila-At. As the car I was sleeping in left the track and began shaking violently, throwing several people from their berths onto the railcar floor, several of the Thai passengers got on their knees, closed their eyes, wai-ed skyward and began 'chanting'. Probably the most compelling evidence I've yet seen supporting the argument that Thai Buddhists do 'pray' in the general Western sense of the word.

Fortunately none of the cars overturned and other than a few bruises, no one was hurt as far as I could tell. Almost immediately after the Thais made their efforts, the car stopped shaking :o .

Off topic: Hmm, something tells me it is time to change those trains soon... I do like them out of nostalgia, but 2 out of the last 3 times I have taken the train, something has gone awry. The first time a fire, the second time a fuel tank packing blew up...

I am glad to hear you were all ok though. Did you also fall out of bed? If so, hope you were lucky enough to have a lower bunk?

/Off topic

So we can establish many Thais are at least doing something that seems similar to prayer, even if it is not necessarily identical. This is not recommended practice according to the scriptures then, I take it?

The Buddha did not teach prayer in the sense that there was someone to pray to....and the core of his teaching on attaining nibhanna say that you must rely on your own efforts in following the path and it does not mention anything like prayer at all. I find most discussions of prayer unsatisfying because there are so many different ideas about what it is and how its done that for me it always ends up like a mish mash....for those who like the mish mash, here is a link to another thread with more opinions:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...rayer&st=15

Chownah

Edited by chownah

google search for "buddhist prayers" shows 28,900 results

google search for "buddhist chanting" shows 28,500 results

Interesting many fundamentalist Christian websites seem to co-opt the word "prayers" for themselves and seem to devalue the buddhist activity as mere "chanting". Personally, chanting, praying, what's the difference? I am not a Christian but I don't seem to remember stories of Christ teaching people to pray, either. Human beings have engaged in the act of prayer long before Hindu, Buddhist, Christianity and Islam popped onto the scene. It's just one of the activities that humans do, like drinking water or making love. It feels good and it works!

Friday night I was on a train from Chiang Mai to Bangkok when it derailed around 1am near Sila-At. As the car I was sleeping in left the track and began shaking violently, throwing several people from their berths onto the railcar floor, several of the Thai passengers got on their knees, closed their eyes, wai-ed skyward and began 'chanting'. Probably the most compelling evidence I've yet seen supporting the argument that Thai Buddhists do 'pray' in the general Western sense of the word.

Fortunately none of the cars overturned and other than a few bruises, no one was hurt as far as I could tell. Almost immediately after the Thais made their efforts, the car stopped shaking :o .

Yes, but who or what were they praying to? Happy to hear no one was injured.

Your not sugesting that the power of prayer saved the day here are you?

Interesting many fundamentalist Christian websites seem to co-opt the word "prayers" for themselves and seem to devalue the buddhist activity as mere "chanting". Personally, chanting, praying, what's the difference? I am not a Christian but I don't seem to remember stories of Christ teaching people to pray, either. Human beings have engaged in the act of prayer long before Hindu, Buddhist, Christianity and Islam popped onto the scene. It's just one of the activities that humans do, like drinking water or making love. It feels good and it works!

There is a big difference between chanting and praying....I suggest some study if you want to learn the difference.

Seems like Jesus did teach how to pray....he taught the Lords Prayer, "Our Father, Who art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name, Thy kingdom come, thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven.............". Remember that one?...I think Jesus taught this when asked about the proper way to pray.

Chownah

Edited by chownah

As the car I was sleeping in left the track and began shaking violently, throwing several people from their berths onto the railcar floor, several of the Thai passengers got on their knees, closed their eyes, wai-ed skyward and began 'chanting'.

Hope everyone was ok, but thats a funny story.

Its amazing that they were so well composed during the violent shaking & what could of been their imminent death, rather than being out of control, holding of for dear life, screaming etc.

There is a big difference between chanting and praying....I suggest some study if you want to learn the difference.

Seems like Jesus did teach how to pray....he taught the Lords Prayer, "Our Father, Who art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name, Thy kingdom come, thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven.............". Remember that one?...I think Jesus taught this when asked about the proper way to pray.

Chownah

If my learned elder could educate me I would be most appreciative. Why does the Dalai Lama, Ajahn Chah, Luang Por Jumnien, Thich Naht Hahn and other buddhist teachers speak of the role of buddhist prayer and chanting whilst some Christians believe that buddhists can only chant and not really "pray"? Seems like arrogance on the part of some Christians to me. What is your favorite buddhist prayer?

Chownah

If my learned elder could educate me I would be most appreciative. Why does the Dalai Lama, Ajahn Chah, Luang Por Jumnien, Thich Naht Hahn and other buddhist teachers speak of the role of buddhist prayer and chanting whilst some Christians believe that buddhists can only chant and not really "pray"? Seems like arrogance on the part of some Christians to me. What is your favorite buddhist prayer?

OK...since you asked I will act as your teacher. Your first assignment is to find as many definitions of "prayer" and "chanting" (and their other forms like "pray" and "chant") as you can and compile them into a list and turn that in as your first assignment. Note: All assignments must be delivered at TV either in the body of a post or as an attached file. After you turn in your first assignment I will announce your second assignment which will be related to the results of your first assignment, i.e. the list of definitions.

I don't know why the famous people you mention talked about praying and chanting but I do think that since they mentioned prayer AND chanting that this is strong evidence that they consider these two things to be different activities.

It is easy to understand why Christians might deny a Buddhists "prayers" as being authentic.....this will become clear as your study of these two words progresses. I'll give you a hint: It has to do with different defintions of these two words.

Chownah

Chownah

OK...since you asked I will act as your teacher. Your first assignment is to find as many definitions of "prayer" and "chanting" (and their other forms like "pray" and "chant") as you can and compile them into a list and turn that in as your first assignment. Note: All assignments must be delivered at TV either in the body of a post or as an attached file. After you turn in your first assignment I will announce your second assignment which will be related to the results of your first assignment, i.e. the list of definitions.

I don't know why the famous people you mention talked about praying and chanting but I do think that since they mentioned prayer AND chanting that this is strong evidence that they consider these two things to be different activities.

It is easy to understand why Christians might deny a Buddhists "prayers" as being authentic.....this will become clear as your study of these two words progresses. I'll give you a hint: It has to do with different defintions of these two words.

Chownah

They say when the student is ready, the teacher will appear. Alas, this student is oh so lazy and needlessly attached to the sensual pleasures of very early retirement. At the present, I'm immersed in several books by authors mentioned above who seem to use the words prayer and chanting rather interchangeably. If you could give a brief etymological instruction I will pass it on via e-mail to His Holiness and the others.

Thanks to the internet here's a bit from the Dalai Lama's favorite prayers:

Take for instance, refuge prayers. Devout Buddhists recite some form of these every morning and evening. We each have our own favorite set of verses. But for long I myself did not know that each stanza, each line, and sometimes even each word is targeted at a very specific, precisely defined spiritual function. And as a whole, the prayer is laid out line by line, so as to evoke a series of mutually interdependent mental responses all aimed toward a carefully targeted end result. It is really so much more than just inspiring poetry.

When recited with correct motivation and a level of understanding, the mind is led according to the author’s own innermost thought. Starting out at one value or spiritual concept on the first verse, the focus of one’s attention is passed along via each sucessive phrase to higher and more rewarding frameworks. Imagine the flow of kinetic energy passed along a line of falling dominoes. It works like that. By attending carefully to the meaning of each, we are channeled along a carefully charted course of concepts and values.

I first heard the following refuge verses on the bright sunny morning of Saturday, April 27th, 1994. It was when H.H. the XIV-th Dalai Lama was about to give the White Tara transmission from his teaching platform erected upon the stage of a tremendous auditorium at the University of Michigan. This was an event I’d waited twenty years for. And I did not at all mind being seated far over to the left and up in second balcony. I sat there entranced. His interpretor was explaining the preparatory rites: refuge verses and the seven limbed prayer. Our hosts, the Sangha of Jewel Heart which practices under the guidance of Kyabje Gelek Rinpoche, had passed out programs which contained different verses. And there was some small confusion. But His Holiness still felt it better at the time to give the following version rather than that which had been distributed. I didn’t fully appreciate its especial meaning at the time, but my studies since have provided some little illumination. It has brought me to a much enhanced appreciation. Here is the prayer.

With the wish to free all beings

I will always go for refuge

To the Buddha, Dharma and Sangha

Until the attainment of full Enlightenment

Enthused by Compassion and Wisdom

Today in the Buddha's presence

I generate the Mind of Enlightenment

For the benefit of all sentient beings

For as long as space endures

And as long as sentient beings remain

May I too abide

To dispell the

Uh oh, I cut off the best part! What a powerful lesson in the buddhist concept of impermanence!

I normally think of prayer as being a petition or entreaty to a higher power, but according to the dictionary it can also be praise or thanks to an object of worship. I read somewhere that in traditional Theravada, Buddha images are believed to have a "protective power," and I guess animism has slipped in so that people pray to them or wear them as amulets.

There seems to be a fair bit of praise of the Buddha and the Dhamma in Buddhist chants, but I think that's a skillful activity in fostering confidence in the teachings. Likewise wishes/intentions such as, "May all sentient beings be free from harm," etc. Some may call this a prayer but I think it cuts right to the core of Buddhist teachings to move our focus from self to others. i.e. it is mental cultivation.

In one of his books, Thich Nhat Hanh says that if he was on a plane that was about to crash he would recite the Three Refuges. That also seems to be more mental cultivation than prayer.

Chownah

Chownah

They say when the student is ready, the teacher will appear. Alas, this student is oh so lazy and needlessly attached to the sensual pleasures of very early retirement. At the present, I'm immersed in several books by authors mentioned above who seem to use the words prayer and chanting rather interchangeably. If you could give a brief etymological instruction I will pass it on via e-mail to His Holiness and the others.

If the Dalai Lama or any of the others ask me for instruction I would consider it.

Chownah

My answer is 'Why does it bother you, one way or another?'

What other do or don't do is of what importance to you?

The answers are all within you, all you need do is practice.

If others pray, or if you wish to pray, do as you see best. The reason most do not pray is that 'nobody is home to answer'. You can accept or reject the concept of animism and include it, or not, in your definition of buddhism.

Remember, just practice. Is it of concern to you what others do? Why?

just practice and expect no results.

So as not to offend anyone "Tibetan prayer flags" will now be referred to as "Tibetan chanting flags".

No just kidding. Here is some information from the Buddha Dharma Education Association website - www.buddhanet.net:

As Buddhism is a religion without a God, it might be asked who do Buddhist pray to? Or do they pray at all? The answer is that most Buddhist pray, but they are praying to the Buddha within themselves. They believe that the enlightened nature of the Buddha is their own real nature which they have not yet been able to reach. So when they pray, it is to that deepest part of themselves. In all Buddhist countries the temples are always open, and many people go in during the day. They bring flowers for the Buddha statue or light a candle to show their love and respect. Usually they bow to show gratitude for the Buddha's teachings. Sometime they offer rice or light an incense stick. These are ways of honouring the Buddha.

Edited by mdeland

This gives Ajahn Munindo's view on prayer;

http://www.ratanagiri.org.uk/Book/book4/12.htm

I think it's getting down to semantics. One mans prayer is another mans meditation/thoughts. Take a metta meditation for example. When you first start practicing it ,there are "checklists" you use to spread metta to a wider and wider circle of beings. Is that thought? Prayer? or simply the practice of the meditation? When we make a statement of positive wishes "may all beings be free from harm". Is that prayer? I wouldn't call it that, but others might.

Yes, the debate is really boiling down to whether the prayers are believed to be communicating to a diety or not, isn't it? I do not think all Christians ascribe to such a limited use of the word "prayer" though.

I've found it interesting over the years to hear my mother try to explain her Christian Scientist beliefs to me. It seems like she, once in a while, has the intention to directly ask God for some attention to be sent to some ill friend or other object of prayer. But in many cases our discussions of metaphysical issues have brought her to explain "prayers" as reciting a set of verses etc. for their effects on her mind and body. I do not know how specific this is to her particular belief system, having been raised Christian Scientist but separating from that church as she raised her own kids, but it sounds a lot like other forms of meditation and chanting practices to me...

When I was a little boy, I was taught some standard bedtime prayers for family and friends etc. Even now, I might have a conditioned response of thinking verbally, "Oh God, please let..." in looming emergency, e.g. when I have time to gather my thoughts but am too remote to really have direct power over the situation. But I am firmly agnostic at this point, and aside from the ingrained phrasing, I am not really trying to communicate anything to the diety I do not believe in---it is just some verbal form of situational analysis.

I wonder whether I would have such mental behaviors (maybe addressed to myself or some other more animist audience), had I never been taught prayers! I find it intriguing, because in general my thought processes are very non-verbal and I have to intentionally "shift gears" to engage verbally in work or in social contexts. Conversely, in emergencies where I am directly immersed, I will lapse immediately into non-verbal analysis and planning with no time to stop and verbalise anything.

But hey, sometimes when I bump an object off balance in passing, I will stop and, in that powerless moment before it settles or tumbles, do a jig to try to coax it back into place. I do not believe in my telekinetic powers, but there is a certain satisfaction in exercising hope!