Minor accident - and now?

Yesterday I had a minor accident with another motorcycle.

We both made a U-turn in the same place in the same direction. I was on the inside and he accelerated without looking what was in front of his bike. This is how his bike made contact with my bike. He scratched his fairing against my front axel. My bike had no damage and his bike has now a scratch.

He thought it is my fault that he scratched his bike against mine and I am sure it's his fault. He didn't look where he was going.

First I ignored him but then he said something about the police so I drove with him to the next police box which was nearby.

He explained to the police officer what happened and I explained it as well. My Thai is not perfect but as far as I understood it the police officer explained to him that it was his fault.

The officer did not ask for any documents from me or him and he didn't write anything down.

I made a few pictures of the damage on his and my bike (on my bike no damage but his paint is visible on my front axel). And he made a few pictures.

After a while I asked the police officer if all was done and he agreed and I drove away.

Normally I would think that's it. But I imagine that the other driver is not happy about this and maybe he will contact his insurance company and maybe they will contact my insurance company and maybe they will contact me. The guy has a picture of my number plate.

I don't think much can happen but I wonder if it makes sense that I contact my insurance first and let them know that some guy thinks I should pay for the scratch on his bike.

I don't think they should pay but maybe they appreciate that I contact them first before someone else reports this.

What do you think?

What is the normal and/or recommended procedure for this?

I have pictures of his bike and my bike and I have the name of the police officer (picture of his name plate).

Don't think much will happen. I'd do nothing and if something more happens, tell them what happened and that the police agreed it was his fault and you can give them the name of the officer if they want to hear it themselves.

Just hope the guy doesn't hold a grudge against you and decides to do something stupid if he sees you again.

Also time to think about a helmet/dash cam.

I have "my" little story to share. It was on a Sunday morning in the Maejo area of Chiang Mai on road 1001 leading to Prao. After the village of Mae Faek, there is a road section of about 4 km, absolutely straight. We were 4 cars behind an elderly man driving maybe 28 km/h with his 35+ year old Toyota Corolla. After the only opposite car passed, I was expecting that number 2 would overtake, then number 3, then me, and then the last one. Knowing that some Thais are mentally not the fastest, I gave the two cars ahead of me about 30 seconds to overtake, but as nothing happened, I decided to overtake them all, and gave signals that I would come out. When I almost had passed number 2, he changed lane, obviously without looking at all to any side or mirror, and hit my left rear side. I told my Thai wife I want the police to come, but she said such things are handled by insurance only. By coincidence, we both had the same insurance, and their representative came over about 45 minutes later. He listened to what happened and said that his insurance would cover our damage, but not the damage of the other driver. His wife got furious and insisted we go and see the Mae Faek police station, which we did. After sitting there for about 3 hours, and a police officer writing down the story on 3 pages of a large book by hand, we both got fined THB 400. I complained and pointed out it was the other driver's fault, but the explanation was that our two cars touched each other, and that's why we both had to pay a fine. It turned out that the other driver's wife was the daughter of the meanwhile retired former head of that police station, and she knew he was there taking care of the garden. Well, we got our car repaired for free, the THB 400 did cost me a smile, and the other woman caused a THB 400 fine for her husband which could have been avoided had she not insisted to see the police. And their car was so old that it was not worth to start repairing.....

8 minutes ago, vsigrist said:

I have "my" little story to share. It was on a Sunday morning in the Maejo area of Chiang Mai on road 1001 leading to Prao. After the village of Mae Faek, there is a road section of about 4 km, absolutely straight. We were 4 cars behind an elderly man driving maybe 28 km/h with his 35+ year old Toyota Corolla. After the only opposite car passed, I was expecting that number 2 would overtake, then number 3, then me, and then the last one. Knowing that some Thais are mentally not the fastest, I gave the two cars ahead of me about 30 seconds to overtake, but as nothing happened, I decided to overtake them all, and gave signals that I would come out. When I almost had passed number 2, he changed lane, obviously without looking at all to any side or mirror, and hit my left rear side. I told my Thai wife I want the police to come, but she said such things are handled by insurance only. By coincidence, we both had the same insurance, and their representative came over about 45 minutes later. He listened to what happened and said that his insurance would cover our damage, but not the damage of the other driver. His wife got furious and insisted we go and see the Mae Faek police station, which we did. After sitting there for about 3 hours, and a police officer writing down the story on 3 pages of a large book by hand, we both got fined THB 400. I complained and pointed out it was the other driver's fault, but the explanation was that our two cars touched each other, and that's why we both had to pay a fine. It turned out that the other driver's wife was the daughter of the meanwhile retired former head of that police station, and she knew he was there taking care of the garden. Well, we got our car repaired for free, the THB 400 did cost me a smile, and the other woman caused a THB 400 fine for her husband which could have been avoided had she not insisted to see the police. And their car was so old that it was not worth to start repairing.....

....and the point of this boring story is???

4 hours ago, Shoeless Joe said:

....and the point of this boring story is???

Don't try overtake 3 cars at one time when an old man driving a Toyota Corolla is doing at 28KPh at the head of the queue.  ????

I didn't find the story boring.

On ‎10‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 3:05 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

Yesterday I had a minor accident with another motorcycle.

We both made a U-turn in the same place in the same direction. I was on the inside and he accelerated without looking what was in front of his bike. This is how his bike made contact with my bike. He scratched his fairing against my front axel. My bike had no damage and his bike has now a scratch.

He thought it is my fault that he scratched his bike against mine and I am sure it's his fault. He didn't look where he was going.

First I ignored him but then he said something about the police so I drove with him to the next police box which was nearby.

He explained to the police officer what happened and I explained it as well. My Thai is not perfect but as far as I understood it the police officer explained to him that it was his fault.

The officer did not ask for any documents from me or him and he didn't write anything down.

I made a few pictures of the damage on his and my bike (on my bike no damage but his paint is visible on my front axel). And he made a few pictures.

After a while I asked the police officer if all was done and he agreed and I drove away.

Normally I would think that's it. But I imagine that the other driver is not happy about this and maybe he will contact his insurance company and maybe they will contact my insurance company and maybe they will contact me. The guy has a picture of my number plate.

I don't think much can happen but I wonder if it makes sense that I contact my insurance first and let them know that some guy thinks I should pay for the scratch on his bike.

I don't think they should pay but maybe they appreciate that I contact them first before someone else reports this.

What do you think?

What is the normal and/or recommended procedure for this?

I have pictures of his bike and my bike and I have the name of the police officer (picture of his name plate).

Call you insurer to tell them just what happened for their records and that you do not want to make a claim.  Then anything else is up to him, there is no need for you to do anything.

On 10/3/2018 at 12:40 PM, Lacessit said:

The guy is looking for some empathy - something you've accused me of lacking on another thread.

I think you'll find that it was the OP's original thread where empathy was welcomed. The other story is just that, a story.

And yes, you have no empathy. None. Nada. Nish.

Joe

If people blow the horn on risky maneuvers or close passing /overtaking  a bit more there will be far less accidents....  Yes,  yes I know,  you like it quiet and some people get pissed on even a short horn sound ,  but if it saves an accident or injury or life even, why not,  I do it...., I don't care  !

Archived