Punched in the Face: Plunge in Chinese Tourists Rattles Thailand

webfact

Punched in the Face: Plunge in Chinese Tourists Rattles Thailand

By Randy Thanthong-Knight

>> Boat tragedy, assault on tourist are hurting Thailand’s image

>> Tourism is critical as it accounts for about fifth of economy

Chinese tourist arrivals in Thailand are tumbling, dragging down overall visitor growth in the Southeast Asian nation and dimming the outlook for an economy that relies on spending by holidaymakers.

Travelers from China slid 12 percent in August, the biggest drop in more than a year, keeping the overall pace of visitor growth near a 16-month low. Thai officials are rattled as Chinese visitors are the top source of foreign receipts in an industry that makes up about a fifth of the economy.

The trigger for the drop was a tour boat accident off Phuket in July that killed dozens of Chinese holidaymakers, sparking safety concerns. Thailand’s image in China has also been hurt by a dengue outbreak, the strength of the baht and, most recently, a viral video of an airport guard apparently punching a Chinese tourist.

Full story: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-10-02/punched-in-the-face-plunge-in-chinese-tourists-rattles-thailand

-- Bloomberg 2018-10-03

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mercman24 said:

the Russian city called JOMTIEN has been devoid of Russians for  months HOORAY !! and at last the Chinese can see further than their noses, better and more welcoming places  (and cheaper) than Thailand to visit and spend their hard earned money, ( well they must spend it somewhere, but i have never seen them spending it) they arrive here get herded around like cattle, only go into Chinese owned establishments, i am baffled. as to where they do spend their money

At the 7/11?

actions have consequences...Thailands '' Professionals'',Methed up tour bus operators belligernat boat operators ,raged out taxi operators , out of control security guards etc etc, must be trained better and paid a fair wage...Toursits need to be treated professionaly and with respect ,regardless......

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Maybe the government could offer to 'buy a tank for tourism'

"tank for tourism" the new TAT slogan although "w*nk for tourism " might be more Thai appropriate?

6 minutes ago, nausea said:

I wonder how many Chinese come back, as many Westerners do year after year; or is it a been there, done that, got the T-shirt, sort of deal for them. Someone should be keeping figures on return visits, cos it really is an important part of the long term equation.

According to  my Wife ( fountain of all knowledge) many are buying condos as its cheaper than Chinese major  cities, so maybe they are coming back or renting them out.

• Like 1

Just now, kannot said:

According to  my Wife ( fountain of all knowledge) many are buying condos as its cheaper than Chinese major  cities, so maybe they are coming back or renting them out.

<sarcasm mode>

Are they using the Chinese equivalent of Airbnb - is it approved for use in Thailand?

I do hope they're paying withholding tax on the rental income. Yes, I'm sure they are.

</sarcasm mode>

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, pattayadgw said:

A stat was published yesterday saying the average Chinese tourist spends 6000 bt a day when in Thailand... where 6k a day is spent is a complete mystery to me.  Obviously another one of those famous stats pulled from thin air.... ????

pulled from thin air - a.k.a. TAT

19 minutes ago, mercman24 said:

ridiculous statement trying to blame one person  for drop in Chinese tourism, typical Thai not facing up to their problems, this incident only happened a few days ago, one does not book a holiday and go 3 days later, the writing has been on the wall for some time,  wow one man can bring a country down, just because of a slap,, he he

To be fair, the article does state that the decline was triggered by the Phuket boat disaster.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Oziex1 said:

What is the truth of the economic damage caused by less Chinese visitors. If it is true that most are package tourists, their holidays paid for back home with little money spent in Thailand, are we hearing the bleating cries of distress from a few Thai elites who profit from the so called zero baht tourists. 

they're probably most concerned about chinese visitors who flock to king power. as for the temple-pissing kind, they'd be happy to clobber them on the spot. 

• Thanks 1