Thailand MotoGP - it's the season to be wary, says Marquez 

webfact

It's the season to be wary, says Marquez 

By Lerpong Amsa-ngiam 
The Nation

2e312bc3275c9c14710c0deaeeca3524.jpeg

Marc Marquez plays with a traditional Thai puppet named Hanuman from Ramayana epic poem at Wat Ratchanatdaram temple in Bangkok. Photo by Tanachai Pramarnpanich

In-form world champ says ‘anything can happen’ if it rains.

da9664602a9c3431d36db71def3f7b2e.jpeg

Four-time world champion Marc Marquez of Spain is full of confidence ahead of the inaugural PTT Thailand MotoGP in Buriram this weekend.

The 25-year-old Repsol Honda rider will have his work cut out – the race will also feature his two Italian arch-rivals: Andrea Dovizioso of Ducati and seven-time world champion Valentino Rossi of Yamaha.

With six circuit wins over the season, including the last stop in Spain at the Motorland Aragon 11 days ago, Marquez sits atop the Championship standing with 246 points, 72 ahead of Dovizioso with Rossi third on 159.

An impressive result at the Chang International Circuit would enhance the Spaniard’s hopes of achieving his stated goal of claiming his fifth world title.

“I’m coming here in a very good position for the Championship. I just won the last race at the Motorland Aragon. So my confidence is quite high,” said Marquez as he posed patiently for photographers and TV crews at the Wat Ratchanatdaram temple in Bangkok.

5325ac82b09a14a659249f11599b05f2.jpeg

The venue is familiar territory for Marquez, who came over for February’s Winter Test , allowing him and his team to get to know the circuit and the immediate environment.

“The tests here were good, we were really fast. But now it’s rainy season, everything can happen. We will wait to see the situation and I will try to do my best,” added the man from the town of Cervera in the Catalonia region.  

“When I saw the circuit for the first time, I thought it would be an easy track – but it was quite tricky because the first part was a long straight. 

“My favourite was the last part with the really fast chicane. The last corner was too tricky to be very precise but it was nice to ride because of the nice surface,” added the man dubbed “the Ant from Cervera”, who arrived in Thailand on Tuesday night.

“We will try to fight for the victory on Sunday but I also need to think about the championship situation. 

“We need to finish all the races, so I can’t take risks but will try to take control and take points for the championship.”

The 41-time-MotoGP expects to receive plenty of support from Thai fans and a huge turnout at the Chang International Circuit over the next few days.

“ During the [Winter] Test , there were so many people in the grandstand, which was very nice,” he added, “so I’m looking forward to see a lot of people on the race weekend too.”

Marquez and fellow Honda rider Nakarin Athiratphuwapat, who will be competing in the Moto3 race, also took part on Wednesday in a video shoot which will be used to promote the tournament. 

The Spaniard was riding his RC213V and a local tuk-tuk (three-wheeled taxi) on Rattanakosin Island.

Apart from the race, there will also be other activities and entertainment this weekend, including a Muay Thai Expo and bouts on Friday, a Chang Music Connection concert on Saturday and a live performance by the famous girl group BNK48 on Sunday.

dd59a23c2649f8fd024b5617c337561c.jpeg

5065ffd29eb43f9dd5d458d07bf8d29a.jpeg

f2e3ac7e1a46b850e4116051212318d2.jpeg

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

This is a really big deal for Thailand. A Moto GP event here is huge. Hope it goes smoothly. Good on Buriram. Between this and their football team, quite an impressive city for sports.  

I agree. 

This is a world class even and I hope it exceeds all expectations for Buriram and for Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

This is a really big deal for Thailand. A Moto GP event here is huge. Hope it goes smoothly. Good on Buriram. Between this and their football team, quite an impressive city for sports.  

But not accommodation, haven't been able to get any within 100k of track for months.

My mate was supposed to come over but cancelled due to the lack of accommodation.

Have put him in touch with a lady from Buriram and he's coming over to see her soon, so hopefully accommodation sorted for next year!

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, BKKMG said:

he quantity of accomodation is quite poor in the Buriram area. Some people had booked almost a year in advance but had their bookings cancelled once the locals became aware of the event

Exactly. Thailand is treating it as an event to showcase Thailand to the Thais. The international community hasn't been made to feel welcome. Thai Rak Thai.

They've definitely missed a big opportunity to showcase Thailand to the world.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

No need to go and watch the race, you can just watch the teen bike races organized on Facebook or sit at a bar and watch the food delivery guys race on the road running lights to get to there customers wark speed. Plenty of them could develop into fine motorbike racers I am sure. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Gandtee said:

It will definitely be a bit warmer than at Silverstone recently. Bloody wet windy and freezing cold. Then it was abandoned!41086306_532109693905921_4520224664089264128_n.jpg.f1e33fb374ade74f167a20a0fae2c978.jpg

Yes that was a raw deal .. A lot of the blame for that fiasco is laid on the track's drainage of water after it was recently resurfaced .. Silverstone have to submit a report to Dorna about the whole affair shortly .. 

Spidey why so negative. How do you know Buriram is not making the international community.??? Are YOU from the international community ?????

Why not wait until next week to make judgement  ???? 

So hasty to pass judgement on Thailand !!!!

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Spidey said:

My friend, who certainly is a member of the international community. He follows WSB and Moto GP to a number of venues around the world. He couldn't book a hotel which he tried as soon as the race dates were officially announced and ticket bookings were opened. Would have spent 2 weeks in Thailand visiting Buriram, Khon Kaen, Pattaya and Hua Hin.

As said by other posters in this thread, foreigners who booked their hotels a year in advance had their bookings cancelled at a later date to accommodate Thais.

Why wait until next week? Do you think that hotels will become available today? Do you think that my friend will be able to book a hotel. buy tickets for the race and book a flight today? It's already too late to make amends, it's a done deal.

Hasty to pass judgment on Thailand? I've lived here for several years, have a Thai wife and son, and have tried to find accommodation near Buriram for several months. Hardly hasty.

I'm sorry if this upsets a blinkered Thai apologist. Time to take the blinkers off and see the real Thailand around you.

A quite excellent appraisal Spidey ..

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Not just sports; it's also good for electioneering and vote buying. Just ask the PM he will confirm.

Burirum PM.jpg

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Cadbury said:

Not just sports; it's also good for electioneering and vote buying. Just ask the PM he will confirm.

Burirum PM.jpg

Which is why they want to see Thais at the venue, not foreigners.

Wouldn't be surprised if the little muppet doesn't show his face on Sunday, could possibly even start the race.

Edited by Spidey
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Wouldn't be surprised if the little muppet doesn't show his face on Sunday, could possibly even start the race.

Would also be no surprise if he does the presentation at the end of the race .. It's an absolute gold plated photo opportunity that will go around the globe .. Putin did such at the recent Russian F1 Grand Prix .. 

• Like 2

Just now, Justgrazing said:

Would also be no surprise if he does the presentation at the end of the race .. It's an absolute gold plated photo opportunity that will go around the globe .. Putin did such at the recent Russian F1 Grand Prix .. 

Highly likely. In fact, I'd put good money on it.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, webfact said:

the race will also feature his two Italian arch-rivals: Andrea Dovizioso of Ducati and seven-time world champion Valentino Rossi of Yamaha.

He might also wanna include Lorenzo in that especially after his first lap manoeuvre at the last G P forcing Jorge out onto the dirty edge of the track resulting in Lorenzo getting spectacularly spat off when the Ducati high sided as he tried to feed the power in .. 

IMG_20181004_133537.jpg

3 hours ago, Spidey said:

You bet. He will make a tumultuous entry with his conga line of flunkies and steal the stage from whomever happens to be standing on it; even if it happens to be the GP winner. Shades of the cave rescue. 

According to the MOTO GP sites, the even is fully sold out.

And Agoda has 98% of rooms sold out...which probably means 100%.

So, it appears to be well supported. If the weather and TV coverage and race itself go well, this will be a great even for Thailand.

I don't think they really care about the foreigners that want tickets and accommodation, and I don't blame them. This is for Thai's...

Screen Shot 2561-10-05 at 5.21.58 PM.png

On ‎10‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 10:20 PM, moose7117 said:

Well obviously didn't try that hard, i had no problem booking three rooms and my friends all got rooms.

and yes they are honouring the bookings that we made .

negative people should just shut up !

Well said.  I am seriously interested in knowing what online booking sites and hotels have cancelled bookings in order to give them to a Thai, so that I may boycott said sites and hotels.  Two days ago, one guy on the Isaan thread said he read about it happening, but when I asked him where he read it he clammed up and I didn't get any reply.  If anyone has any links to this happening, or emails showing the cancellation of a confirmed booking, (with the hotel name edited out on the public post) then please post them, and I'll request the details in a PM.  Until then, I call the faecal matter of a male bovine animal on the whole claim.

I was in Surin last night and Buri Ram today and didn't hear any whinging about accommodation, ticketing or the facilities, just many, many, happy people having a damned good time.  I also wonder if there are any big bikes left in Bangkok this weekend, as they all appear to be here.

• Thanks 2

I If anyone had watched or listened to the foreign media on tv the Gt event was well received and organized.

If people really wanted to come to Buriram there were accommodations on Airbnb, tents available on the track grounds, and houses and shop houses for rent within 2 miles of the track.

Why make judgement before the event even starts. At least wait until the event is over to say if it was good or bad

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1