First Thailand MotoGP earns huge profit and widespread praise

webfact

Beyond our wildest expectations

By Lerpong Amsa-ngiam 
The Nation

24740ac9d03a8300aed8a7d205f7ccac.jpeg

Deputy Prime Minister Prawit Wongsuwan, centre, with Minister of Tourism and Sports Weerasak Kowsurat, left, and Newin Chidchob, right, on their visit to the Buriram circuit.

First Thailand MotoGP earns huge profit and widespread praise 

b084a037953c946c08869a4bc8c47614.jpeg

Buriram - Minister of Tourism and Sports Weerasak Kowsurat said the inaugural Thailand MotoGP was successful beyond expectations after it was attended by an estimated 220,000 fans and generated revenue of Bt3 billion.

The attendance is the highest for any of the 15 MotoGP races so far this year.

The three-day-event, which concluded with another victory for four-time world champion Marc Marquez, turned incredible profits for the Kingdom in the first year of its three-year deal.

“The government pays only Bt100 million for licence fee but around Bt3 billion income has been generated in Buriram and nearby provinces only according to my research team,” said the minister during his visit to the Chang International Circuit. “This is an incredible profit. The government had expected around Bt2 billion revenues would be raised during the event.”

The minister also revealed that the organisation of the event had been praised in several aspects by Carmelo Ezpeleta, CEO of MotoGP licence holder Dorna Sports, even though the Kingdom was hosting it for the first time.

“He was also impressed by several aspects, including staging concerts at the venue to keep the fans there and minimise congestion after the race. We have set an example for other countries,” added Weerasak.

ee98454fe7a37a448b1eb3dd513427ae.jpeg

The minister also said racers had been impressed by the Thai hospitality and were keen to spend a few more days to visit other parts of the country.

“It’s a good opportunity that they help promote our country to their fans around the world,” said the minister.

Good responses and reactions from fans, according to the minister, may lead to interest in a bid to host a  Formula One GP but this was played down by Newin Chidchob, the ex-politician who is the owner of the Chang International Circuit, who said the organisation cost of around Bt1.5 million was too high.

The Baron of Buriram was pleased with the successful organisation of the home MotoGP and gave credit to people in the province for their contribution and hospitality.

“When I needed volunteers, they did not hesitate to provide help. They brought their own E Tan (a small Isaan truck for agriculturists) for [use as a] shuttle bus service and worked all day,” said Nawin.

Asked what needed to be improved for the 2019 race, Nawin said the seating capacity should be increased  from 60,000 and accommodation capacity in the province needed to be doubled from 5,000 to 10,000.

Thailand has signed a three-year-deal with Dorna to stage MotoGP from 2018-20 but with the success of its inaugural race, it is possible that contract could be extended.

“I’m certain after three years, fans and the Thai people will have an answer whether or not we should continue,” Newin said.

c6326342ee48190d328c8bdf3d1369c6.jpeg

9a713cc431a6a524245ee4b3dc21c8f0.jpeg

beaff96dcffea7c8aff762c5252aa14f.jpeg

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/sports/30356067

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-10-09

It was a great 3 days. Well organised. Police and army helpful and polite. All beers at the event 40 Baht a can, and affordable food. Shortage of programmes was a pain. Couldn't get one on every day.

A typical Thai problem was that in the stands, the stands (I was in the Ducati one), the nice empty stairs were colonised by wannabe hisos who sat on them, laid out their food and stared daggers at anyone who actually wanted to use the stairs for their intended purpose. Most of us just shouted excuse me, or ko tort and pushed our way through. They need security to stop this next year.

Minor complaint though. Well done, Buriram! 

Meanwhile, hospitals throughout the country are plagued by an influx of foreigners with internal injuries, as all the sad, miserable individuals who wished the event would fail are burning up inside at the news of its success. 

What was Prawits choice of timepiece for the event ?? Asking for a friend of a friend !!

I'm sure Dutch , Italian and Spanish GP would have had higher numbers , although maybe not as there were quite a few there on Friday whereas in Europe people mostly go Saturday and Sunday .

Accommodation I would say is the number one thing that needs to be improved and no cancelling by hotels once a customer has booked so they can charge more to someone else.

New Mercs all round for the gang I would say after this !!

7 hours ago, webfact said:

may lead to interest in a bid to host a  Formula One GP but this was played down by Newin Chidchob, the ex-politician who is the owner of the Chang International Circuit, who said the organisation cost of around Bt1.5 million was too high.

I believe, 1,5 Billion Baht more likely  ????

22 minutes ago, Henryford said:

Only problem is the lack of accommodation around Buriram. Where did the 220,000 stay?

First it is 220.000 in 3 days, with as said in TV 100.000 on the event day.

Second - if you wanted to come over night you had to sleep in one of the small 24 hour open resorts who are everywhere in countryside around Buriram, surely also full or and had to stay in Surin 70 km? - full too I think and in Korat 100 km away.

I believe nearly all available rooms in Buriram city around circuit had been mostly occupied from the Moto 2 - 3 and Moto GP Teams themselves ????

40 minutes ago, ronaldo0 said:

What was Prawits choice of timepiece for the event ?? Asking for a friend of a friend !!

I'm sure Dutch , Italian and Spanish GP would have had higher numbers , although maybe not as there were quite a few there on Friday whereas in Europe people mostly go Saturday and Sunday .

Accommodation I would say is the number one thing that needs to be improved and no cancelling by hotels once a customer has booked so they can charge more to someone else.

New Mercs all round for the gang I would say after this !!

No guessing - here you go, Austria Germany and then last race in Spain are the Winners 2016 and surely similar 2017 and 2018 

CxzKUELXUAAmJIl.jpg:large

I don't mention the cheers for newin and the jeering for mr toad.it was to hot for a few of us so we sat within walking distance at a air con restaurant and watched it on the box.ive been to many moto gp at donnington and WSB at brands hatch and the crowds were much much bigger.cooked up attendance numbers if you ask me.unlike Thailand where a lot of people have to travel long distance the majority uk fans can make it home in a few hours or less.bloody good race and I won a 1,000b so free drink n food for me.

great event. was there and i am so happy that this most of this money went to helpful and great Buriram residents and localities there.

Isaan needs more development and very pleased for this very successful organization. so Isaan gets more money!

Nicely done! Kudos for everyone involved on this!

39 minutes ago, Henryford said:

Only problem is the lack of accommodation around Buriram. Where did the 220,000 stay?

I stayed in Nakhon Ratchasima a pleasant 2 hour train ride away which cost an amazing 24 baht. Free shuttle buses from the train station to the circuit and back was a welcome bonus.

All in all a great weekend and I will go back next year.

6 minutes ago, Galactus said:

great event. was there and i am so happy that this most of this money went to helpful and great Buriram residents and localities there.

Isaan needs more development and very pleased for this very successful organization. so Isaan gets more money!

Nicely done! Kudos for everyone involved on this!

I like the sound of that Kudos, sounds like a Greek  drink.., will go next year thanks for the posts all.Was put off by lack of Hotels, tried but full.

31 minutes ago, ALFREDO said:

No guessing - here you go, Austria Germany and then last race in Spain are the Winners 2016 and surely similar 2017 and 2018 

CxzKUELXUAAmJIl.jpg:large

The numbers for Qatar are shocking !! Assume they have improved over the last few years ?

Some of the worst football teams in the world get better attendance than Qatar ????

Happily surprised after a great 3 days!  Very well organized event.

Will be extended past 2020 almost for sure.

Hats off to the organisation, security and volunteers, also the police for streamlining the traffic.

Thailand MotoGP was successful beyond expectations,  true statement

Awesome! And well deserved praise.......  I’m going to try and attend 

next year..... 

Great to hear positive feedback....

MG may still need to get the Rag - No Rag button installed Incase of nay sayers that wake up cranky 

2 hours ago, happy chappie said:

I don't mention the cheers for newin and the jeering for mr toad.it was to hot for a few of us so we sat within walking distance at a air con restaurant and watched it on the box.ive been to many moto gp at donnington and WSB at brands hatch and the crowds were much much bigger.cooked up attendance numbers if you ask me.unlike Thailand where a lot of people have to travel long distance the majority uk fans can make it home in a few hours or less.bloody good race and I won a 1,000b so free drink n food for me.

2 hours ago, happy chappie said:

Nah, there was definitely a huge crowd there on Sunday mate, every grandstand chock a block, 100,000 people easy ????

21 hours ago, happy chappie said:

Lol ???? I can only say my experience visiting Motorbike events regularly since nearly 45 years = Austrian Salzburgring Motorbike World Championship to Malaysia Sepang

The journey or roadtrip to get there to the event and the weather - hot humidity im Malaysia and Thailand and the Sound and Noise, ????

smell (much more with 2 strokes before) the crowd cheering is a big part enjoyable part of all the fascination.

I have to safe money so I did not go - but was in February at the Tests in Buriram.

Nothing beats LIVE IS LIVE for me! ????????????

21 hours ago, ronaldo0 said:

The numbers for Qatar are shocking !! Assume they have improved over the last few years ?

Some of the worst football teams in the world get better attendance than Qatar ????

I doubt the numbers improved ???? it is a special night race and the Qataries have the money to do all ???? they have FIFA World Cup soon ☺

Will be smallest attandance since ever? ????

A small downturn is that in Malaysia the Government backed the Moto Gp event what I hear and at least when I was there last 2015, still, the Friday Training was a free admittance for everybody without any cost. ☺

And a Moto Gp Ticket in Malaysia was always astounding cheap and now a Grand Stand costs now about 2.000 Baht the Thai Buriram Ticket 3.000 or 4.000 Baht. ????

Archived