Why why why?

Turned up for my visa extension at my agent with 965,000 baht in the bank, plus the bank letter. It's only come down to that balance recently, mostly at the 1.3 million baht mark for the last ten months.

Agent looks the bank book over. There's a gap between May and August with no transactions, no deposits or withdrawals. Agent informs me I need a bank statement as well, because the three month seasoning period is not evident.

Why isn't it evident? If there are no transactions, that means the balance has not changed. There's no debit or credit card attached to the savings account.

Why isn't the bank letter sufficient? Is this just another example of institutional stupidity?

Immigration wants to see the bank book updated 3 months before you apply for the extension and at least on the day you apply.

The bank letter only proves the amount in your account on the date it is written..

Your bank can provide you with a statement. If you have online banking you should be able to print a statement for the last 6 months.

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Immigration wants to see the bank book updated 3 months before you apply for the extension and at least on the day you apply.

The bank letter only proves the amount in your account on the date it is written..

Your bank can provide you with a statement. If you have online banking you should be able to print a statement for the last 6 months.

So if my extension is due on November 3, I should update my balance on August 3?

Your post doesn't answer the question of why, but that's OK. Because they can is probably the answer.

Hello,

It is certain that we must follow the Thai laws. But you have to try to adapt.
What is good for one employee is not good for another.
In case, I replenish my account 3 1/2 months before the extension and make sure to have a minimum of 900 000 Bht, every month until my visit to immigration.
Always in case, I request the extension a few days before the deadline.
For my last extension, at the time of writing the letter by the bank, as there was no movement for 2 days, the employee asked me to pay 100 b so they could appear on the statement at the date of the letter.
I specify that I go to the bank, the day before the OA.
This is HUA HIN.

post 2, hello,

In general, the Thai laws are, say, vague, fuzzy.
But for the deposit, it's 3 months before.
So for you, November 6, I would say on August 1 instead.
Why wait for the last moment?
You will be stressed if your bank, abroad, decides to go on strike.
In mine, we are always on strike, so we know how to juggle.

47 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Agent informs me I need a bank statement as well,

I guess everyone is having a different experience here in Thailand, but I have always needed both statements and updated passbooks.

Statements for a standard savings account must be stamped and dated by the bank. 

A letter for fixed accounts because there are no monthly statements for fixed accounts.

And all passbooks updated at the same time. Fixed savings will only show quarterly activity.  This is Bangkok Bank, your mileage may vary.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

I guess everyone is having a different experience here in Thailand, but I have always needed both statements and updated passbooks.

Statements for a standard savings account must be stamped and dated by the bank. 

A letter for fixed accounts because there are no monthly statements for fixed accounts.

And all passbooks updated at the same time. Fixed savings will only show quarterly activity.  This is Bangkok Bank, your mileage may vary.

I do a family visa but proof of funds are the same as you stated in CM. Bank boo, bank statement, and letter from bank stating bank account status and verification its real. This year, they wanted every page in my bank book copied and every single page in my passport for the eons. It's funny that CM immigration is not going Green, but just the opposite. 400k baht or 800k baht is all in the planning needed to stay here.

Edited by holy cow cm
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, holy cow cm said:

I do a family visa but proof of funds are the same as you stated in CM. Bank boo, bank statement, and letter from bank stating bank account status and verification its real. This year, they wanted every page in my bank book copied and every single page in my passport for the eons. It's funny that CM immigration is not going Green, but just the opposite. 400k baht or 800k baht is all in the planning needed to stay here.

Tell me about it. I get writer's cramp signing all the pages.

Last time I went to Jomtien Imm I had come to get an extension based on retirement. Unfortunately I dipped below the 800k limit and had to wait 4 more days. They told me that the bank letter was only good for 3 days and that I would have to get a new one. What a bunch of BS.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, pieeyed said:

Last time I went to Jomtien Imm I had come to get an extension based on retirement. Unfortunately I dipped below the 800k limit and had to wait 4 more days. They told me that the bank letter was only good for 3 days and that I would have to get a new one. What a bunch of BS.

Bank letter is good for 7 days in CM. Perhaps they deducted the 4 extra days from that.

The gods of standardisation don't come to Thailand.

• Like 1