Thailand Series - 8 Rounds In 10 Days

Jim's_a_Thai_Fox

Hi,

a friend from the UK came over for a short golfing break and so I decided to spend 10 days with him playing golf over LOS - it's a tough life.

I do tend to waffle, so be warned...

1st round was night golf at the Windmill. We were going to go to Pinehurst, north bangkok, but after reading the posts here, we tried this one instead. Very nice course and the lights are pretty good. 900bhat a round, 200 for the caddies, Nick Faldo course, quite playable.

As a side note, we were reliably informed by a Thai golfer who joined us for the back 9 that most of the caddies at Pinehurst are up for a bit of action after the game. They enjoy dancing away the hours at the expense of some rich golfer... just thought i should share the knowledge with you good people. Pinehurst is about 5 km north of Don Muang airport on the Vipawadi Rangsit road (apologies for spelling).

Back to the game... we ended up getting quite drunk by the 17th and I ended up losing 2&1. My mate's off about 8 hcp and i'm off about 40 (basically, I am quite literally 'handicapped' when it comes to golf) so I had 2 shots on the 6 hardest and 1 on the other 12...

2nd round was out at Gassan Khuntarn in Lamphun province. Monday afternoon, burning sun, lots of water and moon crater bunkers. Splendid course, great service and a 30% discount if paying with visa. A bit pricey for weekday at about 1400 bhat, but well worth it as I won that round 3&2.

Next day, we played The Royal Chiang Mai - lamphun course out near San Kamphaeng. My mate's favourite course. Less water, but narrow fairways. Not too pricey at about 1200bhat green fee. I mullered a lovely 4 iron over water to the back of the green on the 18th to level the match, coming down from dormie 2, I was well chuffed. that shot won me 'shot of the series' and a slippery nipple (a shot, not an appendage to a female's mammary gland) at a later date.

The next day we had a bit of a rest and played 9 holes at the Gymkana course in central Chiang mai. Very pleasant and great value at only 300 bhat for 9 holes. Course was in decent nick too. I managed to get a draw there, so after 4 matches, we're tied at 1 victory a piece and 2 draws.

We left CM and went to The Royal Chiang Mai club on the road to Phrao. Excellent course and great value at just under a 1000b green fee. My ripped my heart out by sinking a 15 footer on the 18th to win by one hole!

Off to Chiang Rai and a day at Santi Buri. I felt awful the night before and was doubtful that I could even play. Worse still, as loser of the match, I had to pay for the 'winner's dinner' and was too sick to eat - but had to watch my buddy eat a large steak!

After 6 'immodium' and tons of water, we decided to play it safe and get a buggy. 700bhat for that. about 1200 bhat green fee - well worth it - the best course i've ever played. It's spectacular, with lovely housing dotted around, and a nice and mature course with no on-site cement mixers etc. to be found. Not too much water, but enough to help you concentrate. fantastic.

The medication and the previous night's restaurant ordeal spurred me on to great things, for I won 2&1.

Series tied 2-2, with 2 draws.

I left my buddy in Chiang Rai and I played a round at Mae Mot course at the Lignite Mine in Lampang with an old teacher friend. Weekend green fee was 800 bhat. fantastic. we had to play in a six, never great but not a big deal. the course was rammed - give me relaxing weekday golf anytime!

I lost 7&5... it was an unofficial match and so it didn't count. but my inability to play dismayed me so much that I went out and bought some Callaway X-18 irons! I said goodbye to my trusty Slazengers that had seen me plateau over the last 14 years that i'd had them...

My confidence was shattered. I couldn't hit a thing off the tees, my approaches all shanked and my putting was skewed...not the best. I drove down on the Sunday with my GF and then met my friend at Suvarnabhumi on Monday night. We headed out to Khao yai for the final two rounds.

First up was Forest Hills, now known as Sir James. It's near Muak Lek/Pak Chong off highway 2. Mid week price of just 800 baht and great value. We had our first male caddie of the series, but he turned out to be by far the best we'd had - gave my friend good distances and accurate green readings. Gutted. I lost 6&5 - even with my new X-18s... my confidence, although having been bolstered with 2 days off and lots of pep talk, seemed to have taken a new battering.

Down to the last round and i had to win to level the series.

We played at kirimaya course in Khao Yai. It's Niclaus designed. Said to be designed so that each hole is secluded and you get the feeling you are alone on the course. It turned out that we were alone - and not surprising too at 2500bhat a mid week round! luckily, my mate already agreed to call this one 'his treat' for me having driven up north and back. However, I didn't like the 1000bhat you had to pay for caddies and a buggy - no option but to pay that, no walking.

The course was the toughest of the lot, which in the end worked OK for me as i had adapted a 'safety first' approach. My confidence was gone and i was taking 5 irons off tees on par fives. It seemed to work as I was 1 up with two to play. However I lost the 17th to set up a nerve racking 18th...

The 18th was a par 4, hcp 2. I had 2 shots on him. He got a 5, meaning i needed a 7 to win the round and level the series. to cut a long story short (a bit late for that I realize), I had a 5 footer, downhill to get my 7. my caddie said 'trong bai, trong bai'... his caddie said 'inside left'.... argh! I hit it straight and it trickled past the right edge. Round halved, my mate won 3-2 with 3 draws.

Anyway, 9 lovely courses around Thailand and lots of fun. I hope that you stayed awake to reach the end of my gripping story. In reverse order then, my favourite courses were...

9. Gymkana, Chiang Mai. Only a 9 holer, but nice all the same.

8. Mae Mot, Lampang. Great value, but not as well kept as the others.

7. Windmill course. Night golf and beers = good fun, hazy memories of the course.

6. The Royal Chiang Mai. Good value, not too difficult, a little out of the way.

5. Sir James/Forest Hills, Saraburi. Super value, nice and hilly, a bit of construction going on though.

4. Chiang Mai-Lamphun. Nice and mature course, challenging.

3. Gassan Khuntarn, Lamphun Province. A lot of water, challenging holes, nice scenary.

2. Kirimaya, Khao Yai. Stunning holes if you can afford it.

1. Santi Buri, Chiang Rai. All round magnificent course (maybe like it because I won), can't recommend it highly enough.

I've been to the driving range and I'm still crap with my new irons! It's obviously my swing... ######. I wonder how many lessons I could have got for the price of those clubs?

Cheers

James