Malaysians complain about slow border crossing as immigration comes under "Big Joke" pressure

webfact

Malaysians complain about slow border crossing as immigration comes under "Big Joke" pressure

7pm.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

Thai Rath reported that Malaysians crossing into Thailand for the Vegetarian festivals in Hat Yai and Phuket faced long delays at the weekend. 

Online posts complained of long queues for foot passengers and cars at Sadao. 

Immigration said they were doing the best they could - taking 45 seconds per individual and 2-3 minutes for a car. 

Some 12,500 people crossed on Friday and there were 13,000 on Saturday. 

It was necessary to keep out people who have been blacklisted, said the local immigration chief. 

Immigration in the area is under extra scrutiny after the transfer of the Satun chief and five high ranking officers to clerical duties. 

Thai Rath reported that immigration checkpoints were wondering: Who's next for the chop?

Maj-Gen Surachate "Big Joke" Hakparn took over at immigration two weeks ago and his influence is already being felt in a series of measures designed to root out corruption and improve service. 

Source: Thai Rath

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-10-15

4 minutes ago, webfact said:

Malaysians crossing into Thailand for the Vegetarian festivals

5 minutes ago, webfact said:

Thai Rath reported that immigration checkpoints were wondering: Who's next for the chop?

No one - not until the end of the vegetarian festival anyway.

Via my own stupidity, I was at the Sadao checkpoint/immigration last Friday afternoon at (1630);. The Malaysian immigration was a breeze, no congestion, wife and I were through in under a minute or so, no delay. However, at the 'duty free/customs' section between immigration points, the traffic was reduced to one lane (trucks inc.). Then slowly on to Thai immigration, there it was an absolute disaster.  Well over an hour just to reach a booth to be processed. Many, many people wandering aimlessly trying to work out the process, where to go, what lane, which queues...................  What a mess!

they should try lining up at their very own foreigners' immigration counter at KL. i spent 2 hours to get my entry stamp plus another 30 mins looking for my luggage that, due to the very long wait at the immigration, was already jammed with luggages from other flights. 

23 hours ago, GBW said:

Many, many people wandering aimlessly trying to work out the process, where to go, what lane, which queues...................  What a mess!

I've not been through Sadao since earlier in the year, have they finished the 'redesign', or was the mess in part because it's still under construction? 

2 hours ago, Stocky said:

I've not been through Sadao since earlier in the year, have they finished the 'redesign', or was the mess in part because it's still under construction? 

The redesign seems to be almost done, although it is hard to tell.... It seems to me that they are trying to construct an extra left lane or 2, so as vehicular traffic can access the new 4 or 5 or.. 'drive through' booths.

The existing car park, well, its a mess of pedestrians, abandoned cars, and vehicles queued to muscle for position to access the booths.  There were NO officials even attempting to sort the mayhem. 

I hope this clears it up for you, as I am still trying to work it out.                                                      Regards GBW

Last time I went through my taxi driver was able to use the booth, I had to go join the queues in the new big immigration 'barn' like building, which was a complete pain and took about 30 minutes. That was on a normal sort of week day, I'd hate to try a holiday weekend!

Anyone ever go to Su-Ngai Kolok? It aint the vegetarian food the Malay's are coming for in Thailand.  Hat Yai? Satun?

Border crossing wait time!  I can just hear the complaints now...

haha

Archived