Getting Frisked.

NoshowJones

Why did I have to go through customs, getting my bags searched and getting frisked when I  changed flights at Amsterdam Airport

when flying from Bangkok to Glasgow, yet on the return flight I did not have to go through customs at all?

Hmmm, Asian country and Amsterdam............I wonder.

Would not worry about it, I got search once by two policeman in London when coming out of a phone box.

They asked why I was in the box. To make a call to the wife I said. 

Why not use youe mobile they said, dont have one i replied.

Show me what's in your bag they said, OK I said if you tell me why.

we think you are putting up prostitute calling cards.

Had to laugh.

Showed them my bag , book and a sandwhich.

They appologised and started writing out a search ticket.

Told them not to worry about it, I saw the funny side and they were only doing their job afterall.

UK is in the European Union Customs Union (until Brexit :biggrin:).

You are coming from Thailand and so entering the customs border to the EU.

Nothing unusual. And Amsterdam is known for it's rigid customs checks (one reason to avoid them).

On the way back: arriving at Amsterdam from UK of course no customs check.

Leaving Amsterdam for Bangkok: by theory they could check but checks are really rare (looking for undeclared cash or the like).

Consider yourself lucky. I have been invited into small rooms twice by customs entering a Mid East country. First time the only thing in the room was an electric drill plugged into the wall. Second time once in the room he felt my pockets and looked down the front of my trousers!

I got harassed by 2 Indian Customs guys at Heathrow in the early 90's for more than an hour over the contents of a box I had brought from Australia, it was packed by and belonged to my sister and sh had forgotten to take it back with her after her wedding.

I wasn't entirely sure what was in it but my mum had said it was some brides maid clothes, these 2 morons harassed the hell out of me about what was in it, I just kept telling them to open it and see because I wasn't overly sure.

When I said i believed it was the brides maids clothes from her wedding and that they had made the dresses themselves I got grilled about where the material was from and how much it cost, I was going right off at the <deleted> by the end and they never did open the box.

After they gave up on that they started on my new Pentax SLR I had bought to take with me and whether I intended to take it home or leave it in England, I just kept telling them it had cost me 2 weeks pay and there was no way I wasn't taking it home with me, eventually they let me leave, I just kept thinking welcome to modern Pomgolia. ????

last time coming back from USA the TSA guys gave me "enhanced search", which included swabbing my hands. They said they found explosive residue. I have not fired a gun in at least 50 years.... whatever, have at it... couldn't stop them anyway. Described in detail what they were going to do before proceeding, including close handling of my "junk" (by a man, I'm male). At least no KY check

If it happens again perhaps I can say "I'm gay, could you have a woman check me out?"  (I'm not gay, BTW). I wonder what they would do?

Have transited Amsterdam hundreds of time over 40 years. Only time I have been frisked was in transit from a Carribean Island to Manchester. Started to ask me a few questions but as soon as my wife and at the time young daughter came up the walkway,  he just wished me good day and a safe journey.  Clearly trying to avoid AMS being used as a drug transit route.  Was perfectly polite,  spoke to me in English,  until he heard me speak to my wife and daughter in German,  and then switched to German. 

Sounds pretty tame compared to the genital tug and grope that TSA will put you through in the US.  You don't have to be a masochist to traverse TSA, but it does help.  I'll take Amsterdam any day of the week myself frisk or no frisk.  Unlike TSA, it sounds like they are profiling possible drug mules. 

2 hours ago, connda said:

Sounds pretty tame compared to the genital tug and grope that TSA will put you through in the US.  You don't have to be a masochist to traverse TSA, but it does help.  I'll take Amsterdam any day of the week myself frisk or no frisk.  Unlike TSA, it sounds like they are profiling possible drug mules. 

I traveled 100,000 miles a month in USA and around the World, going thru TSA checks , sometimes 2 or 3 a day, never groped or harassed in any way, the only thing they told me was they hate cargo pants, you will get secondary everytime, I had my bags inspected 2x in 7 years , once LAX , last one in Vancouver, where they are very strict, Avoid, TSA keeping me safe, Never a hassle, I was like George Clooney in that movie

7 hours ago, timendres said:

Please excuse my ignorance, but what is a "search ticket"?

Paperwork you'll be given

You should be offered a written record of the stop and search or a receipt at the time of the event, or very occasionally you may be told where to collect the record later.

If you wish to complain either about being stopped or searched or the way it was carried out, this record/receipt will help identify the circumstances.

The search record must contain the following information:

• the officer's details
  • date, time and place of the stop and search
  • reason for the stop and search
  • outcome of the stop and search
  • your self-defined ethnicity
  • vehicle registration number (if relevant)
  • what the officer was looking for and anything they found
  • your name or a description if you refuse to give your name

21 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Well I can't help my good looks.????

I had the same thing with customs in Amsterdam about 15 years ago. Got done for having 400 cigarettes rather than the 200 allowed and the guy they were for refused to reimburse the duty. Have never taken cigarettes back since.

When I popped back from Myanmar to the UK for a short visit some years ago, my laptop was swabbed and residues of drugs were found.  The immigration officers asked where I had just travelled from.

"Myanmar, Burma" I replied.

They look relieved "Oh that's fine.  Everything coming from Myanmar tests positive for heroin" !

Archived