Single White Female In Thailand

seiraa

Hello everyone I reallly need some help!!!

I got my TEFL in Thailand, taught there and lived there for 8 months...in Chon Buri with my boyfriend.

We are no longer together:( However I really loved Thailand, the culture, food, people even the heat. The thing is I have been hearing so much reports about westerners,females and tourist being raped, murdered and robbed. Mind you I am not a man with Thai assistance such as a girlfiend or wife. I want to go back to teach in Thailand , don't ask why its only for a mere 30k baht! Anyways please give me advice to these provinces or could anyone ask a Thai??? I need help??

Nakhon Sawan 28k a month

Surrathanni 34k a month

Si Thammarat 30k a month

and possibly Chiang Mai

I already have job offers from the first three provinces, do you think its safe for a single whit female to go about this on her own?????

Two years ago, I heard of one school in Nakhon Sri Thammarat having 150 foreign teachers on their faculty, so it can't be too isolated. Chiang Mai, of course, is full of farang teachers, but wages are crap, and you're not likely to get work permit. Never having been a female, I have no idea how safe it is. I think you've already posted in our Ladies forum; they should know (but lots of posters in that forum are male).

I knew a 70 year old lady who lived in a northern province and taught school, but she probably didn't resemble you.

If you think you're vulnerable to being taken advantage of, it will probably show. I wouldn't worry about my own daughters making it on their own in Thailand, but again, they probably don't resemble you. Good luck.

Two years ago, I heard of one school in Nakhon Sri Thammarat having 150 foreign teachers on their faculty, so it can't be too isolated. Chiang Mai, of course, is full of farang teachers, but wages are crap, and you're not likely to get work permit. Never having been a female, I have no idea how safe it is. I think you've already posted in our Ladies forum; they should know (but lots of posters in that forum are male).

I knew a 70 year old lady who lived in a northern province and taught school, but she probably didn't resemble you.

If you think you're vulnerable to being taken advantage of, it will probably show. I wouldn't worry about my own daughters making it on their own in Thailand, but again, they probably don't resemble you. Good luck.

seiraa Posted Today, 2007-02-13 10:06:06

Hello everyone I reallly need some help!!!

I got my TEFL in Thailand, taught there and lived there for 8 months...in Chon Buri with my boyfriend.

We are no longer together:( However I really loved Thailand, the culture, food, people even the heat. The thing is I have been hearing so much reports about westerners,females and tourist being raped, murdered and robbed. Mind you I am not a man with Thai assistance such as a girlfiend or wife. I want to go back to teach in Thailand , don't ask why its only for a mere 30k baht! Anyways please give me advice to these provinces or could anyone ask a Thai??? I need help??

Nakhon Sawan 28k a month

Surrathanni 34k a month

Si Thammarat 30k a month

and possibly Chiang Mai

I already have job offers from the first three provinces, do you think its safe for a single whit female to go about this on her own?????

Hi,

I have been living and working in Nakhon Si Thammarat for a number of years now. There have been many single white female teachers here. I have not heard of any of them having any serious problems. Probably, outside any of the main tourist areas, you need to take a little care. If you are sensible you should have no problems. If you are expecting wild late nights out drinking then I would be very careful of the three towns you have mentioned.

PeaceBlondie Posted Today, 2007-02-13 11:17:09

Two years ago, I heard of one school in Nakhon Sri Thammarat having 150 foreign teachers on their faculty, so it can't be too isolated.

There are no schools here, nor ever have been, with 150 farang teachers. There are three main schools that hire foreigners, about 20, 15 and 7 respectively. The latter two are great to work at, the other I would not recommend. Always seems to have a very high turnover as does the main school hiring in Surat Thani.

All in all, Nakhon Si Thammarat is a relatively quiet town with just enough to keep most people happy. Some of us love the place, others do not!

Cottonmill that would be great if you could send me the myspace!

Yes Dan Kid I do have a degree, what's the school?

Oh and if you know of a school in Surat and Si Thammarat not worth working for please let me know...

Thanks for the advice!

• 1 month later...

With a degree and a TEFL and work experience teaching here, and most importantly, being female - you should be making at least 45-50,000 a month.

I came here 4 years ago (single female) and walked into a job making 50,000 a month - I'm currently making 65,000 at my current school. There's no way I'd work here and only make in the 30s - people tell you you can live on that. Sure, if you want no life and no savings.

And it's incredibly safe here. I've been in BKK for 4 years and go all over the place by myself - never never never had a problem, anywhere! Don't worry - just come. If you have a degree and you're female, Thailand has gazillions of opportunities - I have many more here than I had in the UK.

• 2 weeks later...
With a degree and a TEFL and work experience teaching here, and most importantly, being female - you should be making at least 45-50,000 a month.

I came here 4 years ago (single female) and walked into a job making 50,000 a month - I'm currently making 65,000 at my current school. There's no way I'd work here and only make in the 30s - people tell you you can live on that. Sure, if you want no life and no savings.

And it's incredibly safe here. I've been in BKK for 4 years and go all over the place by myself - never never never had a problem, anywhere! Don't worry - just come. If you have a degree and you're female, Thailand has gazillions of opportunities - I have many more here than I had in the UK.

I've lurked on these boards on and off for some time, and am struck by how high your salaries have been. I'm sure you are well qualified. But, you seem to be suggesting that there is preference for female teachers, in addition to any other consideration. Since I don't recall reading that before, I'm curious to know if that's in fact the case. Does the gender issue really account for your making 65K instead of 35K??

L-man

Edited by lawman3966

I doubt it, maybe if your female you might get more job offers cause usually females are good with kids, keep in mind thats where the moneys at though, the kids, so the younger your students are the more money youll make , but the older your students are the less money youll make, at least so it seems.

I think it has more to do with the type of school rather than anything else --intl school teachers command a higher salary than teachers at english schools or local schools, I believe.

To be honest, there is also a dearth of female teachers around- it looks kind of odd when in a staff of 12 foreign teachers, 10 or 11 of them are guys. School administrators would like to keep this balanced, so that increases the chances of female teachers getting the better jobs (or *any* jobs) if they can find them.

Plus, not to send this thread on any kind of tailspin, mind, but ON AVERAGE the female teachers are slightly saner and more stable in all kinds of ways (yes, yes, of course with exceptions).

"S"