Driver's License Guide - Koh Samui

khunPer

4 hours ago, Democracy74 said:

Men also have to wear long trousers, i turned up in smart chino shorts and was sent away to buy trousers before they would accept my renewal and allow me to take the eye and reaction tests.

I protested at the time before noticing ample signage stating the same, I guess I was lucky they did not fail me for my lack of observation skills.

Yes that's rights – thanks for adding this – I perhaps should haven mentioned the dress code, and they do check it at DLT.

For the International Driving Permit:-

Off the ferry and follow the 4142 until it meets the 401 at a T junction. Turn right and head into Suratthani. 

Under the new flyover still on the 401. Over the bridge and there are signs on the left telling you that you are approaching the Suratthani Land transport office.

Parking is a pain for cars, easy for motorbikes.

Up to the 4th floor and ask the old guy on the desk for a number. He tells you to sit and wait until the number is called. The ticket machine voice will call your number and tell you to go to window 1, 2 or 3. Hand over your driving licence and sign the form that they give you. (Name and telephone number.)

Sit down again and wait for your name to be called. Window 1 for bikes and cars.

The girl has a checklist for foreigners wanting an IDP.

Original and copies of driving licence (she already has the original).

Original and copies of the passport. Must be the same number as on your DL.

Copies of your latest visa.

Original and copies of Work Permit or letter from immigration with your address.

Two photos - passport size. Usual head shot.

Official translation of documents. We hit a bit of a wall here. She was just going by the checklist. I patiently explained that all of my documents were Thai with the exception of my details page in my UK passport.

DL was Thai.

Visa was Thai.

WP was Thai and so on. Eventually the setang dropped and we carried on.

Pay 505 baht and sit down to wait for the IDP

When you pick up the IDP you just have to sign their copy and off you go.

As always with government offices/officials - long trousers and shirt with a collar.

Copies of passport are  - detail page, visa page, last entry stamp page.

Copies of work permit are - every page with something entered on it. For my DL I only gave them a copy of the detail page and the page with my address on it. In Suratthani they wanted the following page as well - (when it expires)

Elapsed time from entry to exit was 30 minutes. Delay was the translated documents conversation. It was quite busy (about 20 people before me - all Thais renewing their DL's) but they are very organised.

• Thanks 1

On 9/11/2019 at 10:13 AM, Tropicalevo said:

I forgot to mention.

If my new Thai IDP has an expiry date on it, I cannot see it. The UK ones used to state 'valid for one year from DD/MM/YY'

Normally an IDP is valid for one year only, so as long as the IDP got an issue date, it expire one year later.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, dirtybirty said:

Silly question my 2nd 5 year licence expires next year. No longer have work permit ECT but visit samui 4 times a year on visa exempt stamp to visit family. Would I still be able to renew it based on the above information

Sent from my SM-A510F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

You would need to get a non-O visa before visiting. 

500 baht for resident certificate at immigration. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/9/2019 at 5:58 PM, khunPer said:

It has been posted before that full initial test is only performed on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays.

If I only need to "convert" my international drivers license to a Thai one (first time), would it be smart to go on Tuesday or Thursday then to probably have a smaller queue?

And I still have to be there between 8:30 and 9:30, right? 

• Confused 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just got back from renewing my driver's licenses and thought I'd provide an update as what the procedures are.

Wear long pants! They will NOT allow you to renew wearing shorts. You will need a letter of address confirmation from Immigration. To get the letter from Immigration, you will need a photo. This is for each license. I have both motorcycle and car licenses, so I needed 2 letters, therefore, 2 photos. You will need a medical certificate for each license. I use the clinic opposite K-bank in Nathon; 150 baht per certificate. The doctor speaks excellent English and is very friendly. You will need photocopies of all of the relevant pages of your passport for each license. Application is made at window #1 at the Transport office in Lipa Noi. Assuming that your paperwork is in order, they will send you upstairs for a depth perception and reaction time test. Upon passing the tests, you go downstairs to window #2, then wait to be called for a photo. No big deal and everyone was very friendly.

Edited by GalaxyMan
  • Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/22/2019 at 11:52 AM, GalaxyMan said:

Just got back from renewing my driver's licenses and thought I'd provide an update as what the procedures are.

Wear long pants! They will NOT allow you to renew wearing shorts. You will need a letter of address confirmation from Immigration. To get the letter from Immigration, you will need a photo. This is for each license. I have both motorcycle and car licenses, so I needed 2 letters, therefore, 2 photos. You will need a medical certificate for each license. I use the clinic opposite K-bank in Nathon; 150 baht per certificate. The doctor speaks excellent English and is very friendly. You will need photocopies of all of the relevant pages of your passport for each license. Application is made at window #1 at the Transport office in Lipa Noi. Assuming that your paperwork is in order, they will send you upstairs for a depth perception and reaction time test. Upon passing the tests, you go downstairs to window #2, then wait to be called for a photo. No big deal and everyone was very friendly.

Do you have a work permit? If you have a work permit, do you still need a letter of address?
What are the 'relevant' pages of your passport. Picture page only or visa page as well?

13 minutes ago, limbos said:

Do you have a work permit? If you have a work permit, do you still need a letter of address?
What are the 'relevant' pages of your passport. Picture page only or visa page as well?

I do not have a work permit, though I can't imagine why that would make any difference. Hopefully someone who knows more about it than I do will respond to that question. I am on a Non-O Retirement visa. The relevant pages of the passport are the picture page and the visa page(s). You can't have too many pages copied. Better safe than sorry.

• Like 2

Renewed today, only needed copy work permit with pages of picture and address. Passport, picture page, visa page and TM6 slip. 
If you want a car and motorbike license, two sets of the above.

Did not need the medical.

Received 5 years and 360 odd days!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, limbos said:

Renewed today, only needed copy work permit with pages of picture and address. Passport, picture page, visa page and TM6 slip. 
If you want a car and motorbike license, two sets of the above.

Did not need the medical.

Received 5 years and 360 odd days!

Rhetorical question, but why would they need the TM6?

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I got a 2 years temporary DL for car last month, as I was driving quite a bit and don't have IDP. Contrary to what many people say in forums and blogs here and there, my Aussie DL was not accepted for the short procedure, so I had to go through everything, including the computer and driving test. Apparently it is not enough your home country DL to be in English, IDP is required.

2 hours ago, gearbox said:

I got a 2 years temporary DL for car last month, as I was driving quite a bit and don't have IDP. Contrary to what many people say in forums and blogs here and there, my Aussie DL was not accepted for the short procedure, so I had to go through everything, including the computer and driving test. Apparently it is not enough your home country DL to be in English, IDP is required.

That was not the case with my US license from Florida. I took only the vision, braking reaction, and parallel parking tests. This was the case for the car license. For the motorcycle license I had to navigate their little obstacle course in addition.

• 5 months later...

Hi i thought the rules fir renew had changed so can renew 3months before expiry and 3 months after no longer got a year to do it. If this is the case my licence expired in march was supposed to fly back April but obviously was cancelled and have been stuck in uk ever since. Does this mean i will have ti do all the test again or is there some kind of amnesty for this

• 9 months later...

Good Day!  

Wondering if anyone has renewed their driving license on Samui in the past few months?  Any updates in the Covid world?  My 5 year Thai license expires in August.  Can I renew now?  The usual paperwork and procedures still apply?  

3 hours ago, MyThaiYou said:

Good Day!  

Wondering if anyone has renewed their driving license on Samui in the past few months?  Any updates in the Covid world?  My 5 year Thai license expires in August.  Can I renew now?  The usual paperwork and procedures still apply?  

My business partner renewed her licence recently.

Very easy.

Online appointment and answer some questions. Then at the transport office - no queues. In and out in 20 minutes.

Although she is Thai, it is usually the same for foreigners.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/15/2021 at 11:22 AM, MyThaiYou said:

A Thai friend was there today and made enquiries:  for Farang no online appointments.  My 5 year license expires in August so they said call back and ask again next month....

I always applied for my 5 year renewals only AFTER it expired (up to 1 year over expiry-date no pompem).

That way i got nearly 6 years out of it every time, because it´s issued from your birthday to birthday.

Don´t know, if that´s still the case, but worth a try . . .

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/18/2021 at 12:32 PM, starfish said:

I always applied for my 5 year renewals only AFTER it expired (up to 1 year over expiry-date no pompem). That way i got nearly 6 years out of it every time, because it´s issued from your birthday to birthday. Don´t know, if that´s still the case, but worth a try . . .

Did you every have an accident and needed to claim on your insurance while driving with an expired driving license ?  Maybe they don't ask to see a driving license? Just wondering... 

2 hours ago, MyThaiYou said:

Did you every have an accident and needed to claim on your insurance while driving with an expired driving license ?  Maybe they don't ask to see a driving license? Just wondering... 

I had an 'accident' a while back when the truck did some weird things.

The truck started by itself, drove up a dozen concrete steps, went between two 5 foot pottery urns at the top of the steps, across a lawn and stopped when it hit a tree. There was no one driving the truck.

The truck hit me in the legs as I tried to jump out of its way.

I would not have believed it was possible except my friend was with me and there were also about three or four hotel staff who witnessed the 'event'. They all bought lottery tickets using the trucks numbers. They claimed that the hotel was haunted and said that the hotel ghost drove it.

Insurance company reps did not ask to see my driving licence.

The reps also ignored my statement, tore it up and told me to sign a blank accident claim form.

I never heard anything about it again and they fixed the truck - no cost to me.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

From PR Thai Government...

The Department of Land Transport (DLT) has coordinated with the Royal Thai Police to give a respite to the rules, regulations, and ordinances for drivers whose driving licenses have expired. The expired driving license can be shown to authorities until 30 September 2021.

For driving licenses that have expired for more than a year from 10 April to 30 September 2021, drivers will be exempted from taking the exam, while those who have expired driving license for more than three years will be exempted from the driving tests.

For more information, please contact hotline 1584 or visit the DLT website at www.dlt.go.th.

217197667_4470121996344513_7003648530546994886_n.png.1cecce6de5c14b11fe4e9a53ea99c13e.png