Interview With Thaksin Shinawatra From Australia

Wanphen

The Broadband copy should be available on their web site in the next few days

http://www.abc.net.au/foreign/

They will also broadcast via ABC Asia, so will interesting to see if it's blocked.

ABC Australia

Foreign Correspondent

Interview with Thaksin Shinawatra

Broadcast: 13/02/2007

NEWSMAKER

SERIES 16

EPISODE 21

Synopsis

The deposed Prime Minister of Thailand, Thaksin Shinawatra, toppled by a military coup last September while he was in the United States, has given the ABC an exclusive interview during a brief visit to Australia.

Mr Thaksin, a billionaire businessman has been in exile ever since the coup, travelling the world, playing golf, shopping, hiring international lobbying and public relations firms and it seems, taking an active interest in real estate.

As he tells reporter Helen Vatsikopoulos, he’s now keen to buy a mansion in Sydney’s expensive eastern suburbs.

Former Thai Prime Minister Thaksin tells Helen Vatsikopoulos in Sydney that he’s not planning to return to Thailand in the near future.

“I’m not considering going back yet because I have to worry about my safety and I also should not add any more confusion to the situation in Thailand now, “ Mr Thaksin said.

Mr Thaksin insists that he is not engaged in international lobbying against the military junta running Thailand. And though he wants the country to return to democracy, he’s finished with politics forever.

“You will not see me in politics, not just the next generation, but for life. I want to devote myself to charitable activities and some kind of research. “

Mr Thaksin says the military have no reason to fear him and he struck a distinctly conciliatory tone with the men who tossed him out of power.

“I would urge everybody concerned not to worry about me. I’m not going to create any problems as a former PM. I’m mature enough, I have to be very constructive for my country. I have to be sure that anything I say might have an impact on my own country. “

Regards

Wanphen

yes just saw the interview. The interviewer started off soft and Thaksin generally responded well in the beginning but when her tone hardened and the questions got a bit tougher, he flustered and gave some dodgy responses. The interviewer forced a knowing smile during his dodgy responses.

I'm not sure if Thaksin should keep allowing interviews, he reveals himself too much.

yes just saw the interview. The interviewer started off soft and Thaksin generally responded well in the beginning but when her tone hardened and the questions got a bit tougher, he flustered and gave some dodgy responses. The interviewer forced a knowing smile during his dodgy responses.

I'm not sure if Thaksin should keep allowing interviews, he reveals himself too much.

Why are you quoting yourself ?

Are you feeling OK ?

Why are you quoting yourself ?

It's a quote from another thread on the same topic. Click on the little red arrow and it should take you there.

Are you feeling OK ?

puked several times during the interview but feeling better now.

Edited by Grover