I Can't Haggle With Older Thai Women

PaulUSA302

Hey guys-how about having a little pity for older women ! I figure that most of them are not getting laid anymore so I just pay them what they want without haggling and consider it charity so at least they have a little extra money that might put a smile on their face. :o

Reminds me of an encounter with a old woman street vendor in

bangkok on my last visit - I argued the price in Thai in what I

thought was a light hearted banter - as I wandered off she

muttered "chob lao". I asked my girlfriend what she said:

"She says she hates foreigners..."

That sounds familiar to what happened to me. I was in Silom trying to buy a watch from an older Thai woman. She demanded far too much for the watch I made several offers. She threw the watch down on the table and said something in Thai that caused several other Thai's to stop and look. My guide had a surprised look on their face, gook me by the arm and told me that we should not buy from her. I asked many times what she said but my guide refused to tell me.

On my very first trip to Thailand, on the last day i was running out of cash but i remembered i had a gift to buy for a cousin.

I entered a shop near south pattaya and choose a small bouddha for 40 bahts (lol). As I was about to pay, the old woman asked me "why you don't buy big one?" so i answerer in Thai "mai mee satang"(no money). So she just said:"ok, i give it to you for 20 bahts".

I think she was on a good day.

Lucky me.

:o

Edited by Demodokos

If thats all she said, it doesn't mean she "hates foreigners". It could mean "I like (him)" in which case your GF was rather misleading you . . . . . :o

G

Gads, if I ever move anywhere that has a bargaining economy, I can see every single transaction becoming a haggle. Do Thais make good lawyers? I mean this seriously. I figure a lot of the same skills used to bargain would make you a swaggering giant in a law court.

Generally, anyone who is older is going to unsderstand how things work better...

The trick is to remember you dont have to purchase off that person as there is allways someone else selling the same /similar thing nearby. Everyone, regardless of age can be influenced and has a weakness, so it is just a case of exploring that.

try out haggling without any intention of buying and you will master it and find it is fun - but dont buy and observe everything - try experimenting with how you dress, how you behave, what rapport you build - and observe everything

When you walk away and they are cursing you - you know you got a good price - if they didnt want to sell then they wouldnt have - just like you dont have to buy.

Its great, I just wish I could haggle in tesco ! No actually it is nice t have a few places it is not necessary and know you are getting the same price as the locals - but the supermarkets are now allways the cheapest !

Having siad that - there are some very good looking older women in Thailand and flirting with them is just another way to influence - its up to you to decide how far your prepared to go to get a better price..

When it comes to haggling or bargaining for items in Thailand, I find that the older Thai ladies are difficult for me to deal with. I don't know if it is my style or lack of style when it comes to dealing with them, I am unable to complete a transaction.

I am able to bargain with guys and young women but the older women seem to difficult for me to deal with... I have been to Thailand many times and once again I tried and failed to haggle with an older lady.

I wonder if there is a class I can take in Bangkok that can help us visitors bargain?

And I thought this thread was going to be fun!

Use your charms. Give her the impression that she is an attractive lady and that you like her too much. Furthermore put yourself in an underdog position (I don't have too much money, I am not as the other farangs, is this price because I am blond / black / brown / yellow ?, why don't you like me, why do ladies always want soo much money from me and the ultimate 'I will pray for you'). One of these hints will break the ice and the price will go down more easily.

This works for me too.

Give her a flower, ask after her family and show her photographs of your siblings and parents... Drop your baggage, give her your whole attention and make her feel special. Beleive this is the truth and you body will say that too.

Remember that women i their 40's and 50's realise what they have missed and know that opportunities are few are far between. Rekindle their passion for what they think passed them by and let them taste a fruit hard to find.

But above all dont forget your just after a better price and who knows maybe a free massage and free som tam for life !

Edited by Khun Bob

Pet peeve here guys: Barter does not mean to haggle or bargain a price down. It means to exchange goods or services without money changing hands.

There, I feel better now :o

[/quot

u hit it on the nail. it's like u give me an orange, i give u an apple. u give me a khwai, i give u a khuay and so forth and so on. lol

respect

Edited by oooooo

Gads, if I ever move anywhere that has a bargaining economy, I can see every single transaction becoming a haggle. Do Thais make good lawyers? I mean this seriously. I figure a lot of the same skills used to bargain would make you a swaggering giant in a law court.

Yes they are sharper than a razor blade, nothing gets past them.

:o

I Can't Do It With Older Thai Women

i never tried to do it with older thai women :o

You should, it's not as bad as these guys make it out to be. Most older women are experienced enough not to try the scams that young girls do - and they certainly try harder. And anyway, in the dark, all cats are grey.

You could always remember the women look old but they are actually 21 years? The best way to do that is get very drunk before you go shopping, women always look younger when your pished!

:D

Thank you, LB, I will certainly try this. :o