Similans limited: Tourist quota shakes tour operators

rooster59

Similans limited: Tourist quota shakes tour operators

By Tanyaluk Sakoot

image.jpg

Tour boats line the shore at Ao Kuerk on Similan Island during the tourism high season in January. Photo: Kaj Schmidt

PHUKET: In a move to prevent more environmental damage by heavy ‘overtourism’, the number of tourists allowed to enter Mu Ko Similan National Park, a key natural tourist attraction just over 80km northwest of Phuket, has been halved with a quota brought into effect on Monday (Oct 15).

The order was issued by Thanya Netithammakun, Director-General of the Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation (DNP), on Oct 8, Similan National Park Chief Ruamsilp Manajongprasert told The Phuket News this week.

Despite the strong opposition by tour operators, the quota – allowing only 3,850 visitors per day – will stay in effect, Chief Ruamsilp assured.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/similans-limited-tourist-quota-shakes-tour-operators-69038.php#YKOutpKAYCbVJSyG.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2018-10-20

"A total of 1,625 persons per day will be allowed to enter the park via Koh Miang (Island No 4), 1,700 will be allowed to enter per day via Koh Similan (Island N0 ???? and a further 525 persons per day will be allowed entry to dive at any of 21 dive sites in the park, he explained."  - what possible harm can this "small" number of people, and the boats that transport them, cause to the environment????  ????

Of course, these numbers will be strictly monitored, with the quota never breached.

Edited by NamKangMan
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, NamKangMan said:

"A total of 1,625 persons per day will be allowed to enter the park via Koh Miang (Island No 4), 1,700 will be allowed to enter per day via Koh Similan (Island N0 ???? and a further 525 persons per day will be allowed entry to dive at any of 21 dive sites in the park, he explained."  - what possible harm can this "small" number of people, and the boats that transport them, cause to the environment????  ????

Of course, these numbers will be strictly monitored, with the quota never breached.

Well when I went there earlier this year our boat was checked three times in 3 days to make sure we had paid our park fees. The park staff are on the ball but what the guys selling tickets on the mainland get up to remains to be seen.

i understand they have to protect these beautiful beaches but with quotes the price will go up and only those with enough money would be able to go visit them.

If they sell 3000 tickets/day before and now only 1000 also their income will be cut while most costs will stay the same.

On 10/21/2018 at 12:28 PM, stevenl said:

Not at the same time, 9 islands, many don't even come ashore.

I did 4 separate live aboard dive trips to similans surin islands during a span over 15-20 years ago. Initially only park rangers were allowed to spend overnight on the islands ( we slept on board) .During that 5 year time span I saw grotty accommodation built on the  island and the arrival of tour speedboats ,thinking 'that’s spoiling it'. I guess it’s got infinitely and unimaginably worse and despite my desire to go again I shudder to think what state the dive sites might have become.. perhaps best to leave the memory intact?