2 Arrested For Sharing Fake News About Chinese Tourist Visa

webfact

2 Arrested For Sharing Fake News About Chinese Tourist Visa

By Jintamas Saksornchai, Staff Reporter

S__6045977-728x485-696x464.jpg

Police pose with a sign for the Chinese tourists fast-track lane on Aug. 3 at Suvarnabhumi Airport.

BANGKOK — Two people were arrested for sharing fake news from a Youtube video saying the government was to reduce tourist visas for Chinese nationals because it ran out of paper, police said Monday.

The immigration police chief said Nathawut Ruayprasert and Napatsawan Kiatvimol were charged with disseminating online fake news by posting the video clip to their Facebook accounts earlier this month.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/crime-crime/2018/10/23/2-arrested-for-sharing-fake-news-about-chinese-tourist-visa/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2018-10-23

Three people arrested on misleading visa claim on social media

BANGKOK, 23rd October 2018 (NNT) - Three people have been arrested for sharing a YouTube video wrongfully accusing Thai authorities of trying to make extra money by asking Chinese tourists to obtain visas on arrival. 

Acting Immigration Police Bureau Chief, Pol Maj Gen Surachet Hakpal , said Mr. Natthawut Ruayprasert and Mrs. Napassawan Kiatwimol were arrested for sharing a YouTube video which belonged to Mr. Chanin Udomsrirat . 

Mr. Chanin created the video saying it had been reported in China that Thailand was requiring Chinese citizens to obtain a tourist visa on arrival due to the shortage of the paper used in the production of visa documents. 

He added that the new requirement would enable immigration police to earn up to 300 baht per Chinese tourist. 

The Acting Immigration Police Bureau Chief said the illegal video clip could cause damage to the economy and national security. 

All three of them will be fined 100,000 baht each and face maximum jail terms of 5 years.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2018-10-23

Common sense should have told these guys that it's impossible to run out of paper in Thailand. Immigration officers want more and more copies every year and discourage it when you put copies on both sides of the paper. Each 'requirement' (new rules, new rules) must have its own page.

Not sure if they should be arrested though. It's fairly harmless, isn't it? or is it?

1 hour ago, webfact said:

BANGKOK — Two people were arrested for sharing fake news from a Youtube video saying the government was to reduce tourist visas for Chinese nationals because it ran out of paper, police said Monday.

Not sure who is the more gullible, the Thai officials thinking that people would believe this, or heaven forbid, someone actually believing it.

5 YEARS IN JAIL! Whatever happened to the punishment fitting the crime? People do less time for killing on the road with drunk driving here. And as for risking National security or economy, well I have no words for that, any sensible person can see the nonsense behind that.

I think this country should stop trying to defend everything as it simply draws attention to problems. Punishing people severely is NOT a deterrent, all it does is spur on the brave to dig deeper and keep publishing as it send s message there is plenty to hide. 

Better for the Thai authorities to simply state its a load of nonsense and move on, credibility will soon be lost for the people posting crap. But if true simply fix it, state its fixed and all is well with nothing to worry about. Diffusing is the name of the game not drawing attention to every little silly thing.

19 minutes ago, RandolphGB said:

I sometimes wonder if the Thai government realises how ridiculous they look to the outside world.

No never.they probably think they are the best in the world and they set an example of how the rest of the world should be running things.

54 minutes ago, GAZZPA said:

5 YEARS IN JAIL! Whatever happened to the punishment fitting the crime? People do less time for killing on the road with drunk driving here. And as for risking National security or economy, well I have no words for that, any sensible person can see the nonsense behind that.

I think this country should stop trying to defend everything as it simply draws attention to problems. Punishing people severely is NOT a deterrent, all it does is spur on the brave to dig deeper and keep publishing as it send s message there is plenty to hide. 

Better for the Thai authorities to simply state its a load of nonsense and move on, credibility will soon be lost for the people posting crap. But if true simply fix it, state its fixed and all is well with nothing to worry about. Diffusing is the name of the game not drawing attention to every little silly thing.

Of course they are not going to get anywhere approaching the punishment allowed for the 'crime'. Thai law is in many cases all about, in Voltaire's words, 'pour encourager les autres'.

2 hours ago, RandolphGB said:

I sometimes wonder if the Thai government realises how ridiculous they look to the outside world.

They are too ignorant to be aware of the outside world. Like an ant at the foot of a giant skyscraper, unaware of the existence of such a structure.

Insignificant little men (and I use that term loosely) desperately grasping at anything that can make them appear to have power.

1 hour ago, Wake Up said:

Just wait until they start monitoring TVF like they do all forums in China. Many posters unhappy in Thailand will be shown the happy Thailand exit gate. ????

Of course the Thai authorities could already be monitoring TVF.

The thought of having to leave Thailand; with my young daughter crying, the cats meowing, the koi carp begging for food and the wife saying "I told you to keep your mouth shut" is sending shivers down my spine as I type this.

I just hope the personal details of all of us are secure. I fear our days are numbered.

Oh no!!! A tank has just pulled up outside!!!!!

9 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Of course the Thai authorities could already be monitoring TVF.

The thought of having to leave Thailand; with my young daughter crying, the cats meowing, the koi carp begging for food and the wife saying "I told you to keep your mouth shut" is sending shivers down my spine as I type this.

I just hope the personal details of all of us are secure. I fear our days are numbered.

Oh no!!! A tank has just pulled up outside!!!!!

Would that be "Thomas the Tank" I mean the govt is  full of those types?

Archived