Trump says Saudis staged 'worst cover-up ever' on Khashoggi

webfact

Trump says Saudis staged 'worst cover-up ever' on Khashoggi

By Jeff Mason and Gulsen Solaker

2018-10-23T104032Z_2_LYNXNPEE9M0OL_RTROPTP_4_SAUDI-KHASHOGGI-TURKEY.JPG

Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan addresses members of parliament from his ruling AK Party (AKP) during a meeting at the Turkish parliament in Ankara, Turkey, October 23, 2018. REUTERS/Tumay Berkin

WASHINGTON/ANKARA (Reuters) - President Donald Trump said on Tuesday Saudi authorities staged the "worst cover-up ever" in the killing of prominent journalist Jamal Khashoggi this month, as the United States vowed to revoke visas of some of those believed to be responsible.

Trump spoke hours after Turkey's president, Tayyip Erdogan, dismissed Saudi efforts to blame Khashoggi's death on rogue operatives.

Erdogan urged Riyadh to search "from top to bottom" to uncover those behind Khashoggi's death in the Saudi consulate in Istanbul on Oct. 2, an incident that has prompted global outrage and strained relations between Riyadh and Washington.

Asked by a reporter in the White House Oval Office how the Khashoggi killing could have happened, Trump said: "They had a very bad original concept. It was carried out poorly, and the cover-up was one of the worst in the history of cover-ups."

Khashoggi, a critic of Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, was a U.S. resident and Washington Post columnist.

Trump's comments in recent days have ranged from threatening Saudi Arabia with "very severe" consequences and mentioning possible economic sanctions, to more conciliatory remarks highlighting the country's role as a U.S. ally against Iran and Islamist militants, as well as a major purchaser of U.S. arms.

On Tuesday, Trump said the Khashoggi matter was handled badly by Saudi officials. "Bad deal, should have never been thought of.

Somebody really messed up. And they had the worst cover-up ever," Trump said.

Trump did not give his views on who was ultimately responsible. But Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said the United States has identified some of the Saudi government and security officials it believes were involved in Khashoggi's murder and would take appropriate actions including revoking U.S. visas.

As the crisis unfolded over the past three weeks, Saudi Arabia changed its tune on Khashoggi. Riyadh initially denied knowledge of Khashoggi's fate before saying on Saturday he was killed in a fight in the consulate, an account met with scepticism from several Western governments, straining their relations with the world's biggest oil exporter.

Saudi state media said on Saturday King Salman fired five officials over the killing carried out by a 15-man hit team, including Saud al-Qahtani, a top aide who ran social media for Prince Mohammed. According to two intelligence sources, Qahtani ran Khashoggi's killing by giving orders over Skype.

King Salman, 82, has handed the day-to-day running of Saudi Arabia to the 33-year-old crown prince.

ERDOGAN VOW

Turkish officials suspect Khashoggi was killed and dismembered inside the consulate by Saudi agents. Erdogan on Tuesday stopped short of mentioning the crown prince who some U.S. lawmakers suspect ordered the killing.

"The Saudi administration has taken an important step by admitting to the murder. From now on, we expect them to uncover all those responsible for this matter from top to bottom and make them face the necessary punishments," Erdogan said in a speech in parliament.

"From the person who gave the order, to the person who carried it out, they must all be brought to account," Turkey's president said, adding that the Saudis need to "uncover all those responsible for this matter from top to bottom."

Turkish sources have said that authorities have an audio recording purportedly documenting the killing. Erdogan made no reference to any audio recording.

A Saudi cabinet meeting chaired by King Salman said Riyadh would hold to account those responsible for the killing and those who failed in their duties, whoever they were.

Turkish investigators searched a Saudi consulate vehicle in Istanbul that contained two suitcases and other items, according to broadcaster CNN Turk. It was not clear what was in the suitcases.

'BRUTAL MURDER'

"I want to assure the American people: we're going to get to the bottom of it. This brutal murder of a journalist, of an innocent man, of a dissident, will not go without an American response and, I expect, without an international response," U.S. Vice President Mike Pence said at an event hosted by The Washington Post.

Trump said he would work with the U.S. Congress to determine the U.S. response to the Khashoggi matter.

"In terms of what we ultimately do, I'm going to leave it very much - in conjunction with me - up to Congress. And that means Congress, both Republicans and Democrats," Trump said, adding that he would like a bipartisan recommendation.

CIA Director Gina Haspel, in Turkey to investigate the death of Khashoggi, has sought to hear a purported audio recording of his torture and murder, four sources familiar with her mission told Reuters on Tuesday.

A host of Western executives and governments have pulled out of a high-profile Saudi investment summit that started on Tuesday because of the Khashoggi affair.

Erdogan said the killing was planned from when Khashoggi, 59, first went to the Saudi consulate in Istanbul on Sept. 28 to obtain documents necessary for his marriage. He was told he would need to return later to collect the documents.

A day before Khashoggi's death, agents arrived from overseas and began to scout locations, including the Belgrad Forest near Istanbul and the city of Yalova to its south, Erdogan said. Police have searched both areas for evidence of Khashoggi's remains, Reuters has reported.

On the day Khashoggi arrived for his appointment and was later killed, the hard disk in the consulate's camera system was removed, Erdogan said.

"Covering up a savage murder like this will only hurt the human conscience. We expect the same sensitivity from all parties, primarily the Saudi Arabian leadership," he said.

"We have strong signs that the murder was the result of a planned operation, not a spontaneous development."

On the day of the killing, 15 people went to the consulate, including security, intelligence and forensic experts, Erdogan said. Consulate personnel were given the day off.

"Why did these 15 people meet in Istanbul on the day of the murder? We are seeking answers to this. Who are these people receiving orders from?" Erdogan asked. He added that he wanted Saudi Arabia to send the suspects to Turkey for trial.

(Additional reporting by Tuvan Gumrukcu in Ankara, Ezgi Erkoyun, Daren Butler, Ali Kucukgocmen and Sarah Dadouch in Istanbul, and Jonathan Landay and Susan Heavey in Washington; Writing by Alistair Bell; Editing by Yara Bayoumy and Will Dunham)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-10-24

2 hours ago, webfact said:

"In terms of what we ultimately do, I'm going to leave it very much - in conjunction with me - up to Congress. And that means Congress, both Republicans and Democrats," Trump said, adding that he would like a bipartisan recommendation.

This is very smart. Cuts out partisan attacks on any course he might take unilaterally.

Did someone make Trump a better offer since he now acts different from his first reaction on this matter? Or did the international community surprise him with their view so he was more or less forced to show some moral.

Donald was forced to say something as tepid as possible I’ll bet the mossad are laughing their asses off.As heinous as the crime was the shear incompetence is laughable the Saudis defiantly got a black eye on this one

Trump doesn't care about the murder or the cutting up of the body, all that he cares about is that they botched the cover up putting him into a position where he might just have to criticize and sanction MBS.  He should invoke the magnesky act against MBS and his cohorts and that would put them in a real pickle but that will never happen.  Revoking the visas of the 18 that were involved only shows that Pompeo knows how to piss up a rope.

5 hours ago, Basil B said:

Well seems to me he was the only one to fall for the cover up...

No, don't get me wrong, he is semi senile and lies like a sieve BUT

Even Humpty knew they were guilty,  :biggrin:  However Killing a journalist, whats the big deal?! .... As he has now done a patented Dumpty 180, even he thinks its futile going to bat for these clowns. Clowns worse than Humpty??, now that is saying something. 

1 hour ago, Tug said:

Donald was forced to say something as tepid as possible I’ll bet the mossad are laughing their asses off.As heinous as the crime was the shear incompetence is laughable the Saudis defiantly got a black eye on this one

mossad also screws up big time,

bunch of years ago they sent a hit squad to northern europe,

found a man and killed, but it was the WRONG man

few days later the whole squad was nabbed by the police, charged, sentenced for murder and jailed for years

3 hours ago, Carib said:

Did someone make Trump a better offer since he now acts different from his first reaction on this matter? Or did the international community surprise him with their view so he was more or less forced to show some moral.

I think we all know the answer to that one...he has been dragged, kicking and screaming, into his current position. 

trumpy is desperate to protect that arms deal. 

3 hours ago, Carib said:

yes, I am also wondering about that, why doesn't he protect the Saudis?

he even utters the odd critical remark

mebbee he is losing it

4 hours ago, webfact said:

"In terms of what we ultimately do, I'm going to leave it very much - in conjunction with me - up to Congress.

Basically, whatever Congress wants........ provided it doesn't interfere with my mateship with the Saudis.

1 hour ago, wayned said:

Trump doesn't care about the murder or the cutting up of the body, all that he cares about is that they botched the cover up putting him into a position where he might just have to criticize and sanction MBS.  He should invoke the magnesky act against MBS and his cohorts and that would put them in a real pickle but that will never happen.  Revoking the visas of the 18 that were involved only shows that Pompeo knows how to piss up a rope.

I daresay the above captures general sentiment among World leaders. Unless someone is fooled into seeing most politicians as representing much by way of morals. If this could be quietly swept under the rug, I think most would sign up for the option. As it is, what remains is to play it by ear, engage in damage control or reap some PR points saying whatever is deemed necessary.

Trump is simply lacking when it comes to the finer points of diplomacy and diplomatic talk. Yeah, well, and maybe more amoral than others some (or more obvious about it, anyway). Kinda fitting how he comments on such things as if he was judging some reality show, though.

As for the Magnitsky Act - does it compel the administration to act or allows it the option to act?

Trump is obviously very, very confused. His foreign policy has been nothing short of atrocious. And now his desire too appease the pig prince, is conflicting with common sense, reason, and logic. And then there is the advice given to him by the Saudi lobbyists. Trump has never been able to say no to any lobbyist. Anyone who makes it into the oval office, and has a large budget to spend, gets what they want. It is the newly populated swamp. 

He desperately wants to cover for the new Godfather, and now that the entire planet knows that Mohammed Bin Salman is a thug, a serial killer, and a gangster, it is harder for Trump to cover for him, so he is trying his best to cover his butt, and as a result, is changing his tune daily. It is making him look pretty lame. Not that he did not already look weak, lame, desperate, ignorant, silly, inexperienced, and bought and paid for.

I said it before, and I will say it again. If the Saudis did not have oil, few nations would tolerate them. Wahhabism is the scourge of the planet. End it now. Stop kissing the butts of the despots. They are up to no good.

5 hours ago, Carib said:

Turkey's info release made a laughing stock of the attempt to deflect responsibility.

8 hours ago, webfact said:

as the United States vowed to revoke visas of some of those believed to be responsible.

Yer... right... Whilst issuing visas for a new set of imperial body guards.... great move, I’m sure that will help.

imo, erdogen is playing a fine game of statesmanship, and destroying all evidence that turkey has , (if any exists at all... it could arguably be a bluff, reliant on circumstantial evidence, which is what we have seen so far) is still an option if trump eases sanctions on turkey.... mind you, I think there’s a limited timeframe for this to be a viable “solution” to an international crisis.

Archived