In which bank can I open an account without a WP?

khman

I have had a non-imm "O" for retirement  since 2016.

At the time I opened a deposit account at Kasikorn upcountry with the help of a Thai to park the 800.000 necessary.

In September I moved to BKK and went to Kasikorn @ Exchange Center to see about transferring my account to BKK.  Apparently, this cannot be done and I needed to open a new account, which was fine by me...

The bank girl spoke good English and was very helpful.

BUT when she looked at my visa and saw it was an "O" she told me that new Kasikorn regulations prohibit "O" visas, and only allow "OA" or people on work permits.  She said that as I already had a Kasikorn account, that might help but she needed to speak with the manager.

A few minutes later she came back saying manager had refused and showed me a Kasikorn screen printout that listed in English the approved visas for opening an account with Kasikorn.  Sure enough, "O" and "tourist" and some others were in the "not accepted" category.

She was very apologetic.  I asked what I should do, and she suggested I try BKK bank next door.

I'd had enough for one day, but will try BKK next time I am in town.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have had a non-imm "O" for retirement  since 2016.

At the time I opened a deposit account at Kasikorn upcountry with the help of a Thai to park the 800.000 necessary.

In September I moved to BKK and went to Kasikorn @ Exchange Center to see about transferring my account to BKK.  Apparently, this cannot be done and I needed to open a new account, which was fine by me...

The bank girl spoke good English and was very helpful.

BUT when she looked at my visa and saw it was an "O" she told me that new Kasikorn regulations prohibit "O" visas, and only allow "OA" or people on work permits.  She said that as I already had a Kasikorn account, that might help but she needed to speak with the manager.

A few minutes later she came back saying manager had refused and showed me a Kasikorn screen printout that listed in English the approved visas for opening an account with Kasikorn.  Sure enough, "O" and "tourist" and some others were in the "not accepted" category.

She was very apologetic.  I asked what I should do, and she suggested I try BKK bank next door.

I'd had enough for one day, but will try BKK next time I am in town.
My parents opened an account with Kasikorn today on a 3 month Non O for retirement. That's in Phuket so guess it all depends where you are. They have also been accepted by SCB to open an account but that was a bit more difficult.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

23 hours ago, sketcher said:

My parents opened an account with Kasikorn today on a 3 month Non O for retirement. That's in Phuket so guess it all depends where you are. They have also been accepted by SCB to open an account but that was a bit more difficult.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

No problems opening an account on a non-O visa on Samui, the OP is asking about opening on a tourist visa.

1 hour ago, PoorSucker said:

No problems opening an account on a non-O visa on Samui, the OP is asking about opening on a tourist visa.

Yet the issue seemingly involves a WP rather the visa itself.

So I made a few enquiries and whilst there are no regulations, banks have taken it upon themselves to restrict the practice due to concerns of money laundering. All seems cool but apparently something was said on the world stage. IMF perhaps? The banks started cleaning up their act and have gotten maybe over zealous at it.

I'll tell a story, but first.... it's managers discretion so work on that as an individual or find someone who has their ear.

I brought back well over a grand in cash that I'd accumulated while in the UK over the summer. Don't want to be walking around with cash over here so sod getting the best rate and went to Bangkok Bank Lamai Tesco branch. Comfy seats. Took the fold of note out my shorts and put in on the desk. Mixed stack with lots of the new plasticised 5, 10 Pound notes and good quality 20's. Before even touching it she sad 'how much is there' 'No idea' I said' She called over to someone who said just count it and make sure I was watching. Looks dodgy to me. Took the Baht back home and paid an extra 6 months rent and then went into town and gave 20k to a friend to buy a new oven for her restaurant.

So anyway.... back to banking.

Bangkok bank in NY I believe so one could open an account there and use that as 'cred' to open one here.

The whole thing stinks to high heaven at the moment what with the income letters from the Embassies stopping. Long story this one but basically, Thailand needs to (or should) adapt to an every changing world like in March next year when the UK leaves the EU. Many additional government run support programs for the aged, frail, infirm and disabled are available to British citizens, wherever they may be. Both this government and the last fought hammer and tongs with the EU though not for the electorate it must be said. All of the litigation etc. so the understanding is clear as day. The judgement, as it were, is correct in that a member government cannot be sued for an individual law if EU law supersedes it. Offering housing assistance for example, is the law. A lot of English will turn up here. Stop burning off the stems and put them in Chang Mai where it's cooler.

33 minutes ago, notmyself said:

Yet the issue seemingly involves a WP rather the visa itself.

So I made a few enquiries and whilst there are no regulations, banks have taken it upon themselves to restrict the practice due to concerns of money laundering. All seems cool but apparently something was said on the world stage. IMF perhaps? The banks started cleaning up their act and have gotten maybe over zealous at it.

I'll tell a story, but first.... it's managers discretion so work on that as an individual or find someone who has their ear.

I brought back well over a grand in cash that I'd accumulated while in the UK over the summer. Don't want to be walking around with cash over here so sod getting the best rate and went to Bangkok Bank Lamai Tesco branch. Comfy seats. Took the fold of note out my shorts and put in on the desk. Mixed stack with lots of the new plasticised 5, 10 Pound notes and good quality 20's. Before even touching it she sad 'how much is there' 'No idea' I said' She called over to someone who said just count it and make sure I was watching. Looks dodgy to me. Took the Baht back home and paid an extra 6 months rent and then went into town and gave 20k to a friend to buy a new oven for her restaurant.

So anyway.... back to banking.

Bangkok bank in NY I believe so one could open an account there and use that as 'cred' to open one here.

The whole thing stinks to high heaven at the moment what with the income letters from the Embassies stopping. Long story this one but basically, Thailand needs to (or should) adapt to an every changing world like in March next year when the UK leaves the EU. Many additional government run support programs for the aged, frail, infirm and disabled are available to British citizens, wherever they may be. Both this government and the last fought hammer and tongs with the EU though not for the electorate it must be said. All of the litigation etc. so the understanding is clear as day. The judgement, as it were, is correct in that a member government cannot be sued for an individual law if EU law supersedes it. Offering housing assistance for example, is the law. A lot of English will turn up here. Stop burning off the stems and put them in Chang Mai where it's cooler.

You cannot open an account with BKK bank in NYC. Besides what a non sensical ploy

6 minutes ago, ozmeldo said:

You cannot open an account with BKK bank in NYC. Besides what a non sensical ploy

Fair comment.

I'm just trying to offer options and when the solution is so simple, the options are likely to be well out there. 

Archived