In which bank can I open an account without a WP?

khman

Hi friends,

I would like to open an account but I only have a tourist visa.

Do you know how to do? Where they could open an account for me?
Preferably at Kasikorn...

Thanks much for your help.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unfortunateky with things varying so much from bank to bank and even branch to branch, its just a matter of trial an error.

You just have to go ask.

Remember, just because one says no it doesnt mean the next one will.

Perseverance Pays !

Hi guys and thanks much for your reply.

Ok i will try dozen and dozen. Maybe will try Lamai first, then.

Thanks much!

PS : I had kasikorn acc and for some reason (maybe not enough money) they closed it.

A) Ensure you ask for a Savings account - NOT a "chequing" account.

B) Have more than a week remaining on your Visa or 30 Day stamp. (My dad was turned away because he had less than a week remaining on his 30 Day stamp. Came back with a new visa and had no problem.)

C) Get a Certificate of Residence (or "Residency Certificate") from Immigration before you go. Banks want an actual, verified address that they can send mail to. Hotel rooms, Air BnB rentals, "Pete's spare room" and the like do not qualify.

I've opened a few accounts (Bangkok Bank and Siam Commercial) over the last 14 years and never had any problems.

Bangkok Bank is usually pretty good for opening accounts, but people have been able to open accounts in pretty much every bank in the country.

Note: from my personal experience - they will not give you internet banking unless you have a "one year" visa/extension of stay.

Note: they are not going to give you a credit card because you opened an account and deposited 100 baht into it. For things like credit cards and chequing accounts they want work permits and Non-B visas. That shows them that you are probably more stable and less of a flight risk.

Start off with opening a simple SAVINGS account and then go from there. After that you can talk to them about other things (Fixed Term accounts, Foreign Currency accounts and so on.)

6 minutes ago, AsterixThai said:

Thanachart Bank Public Company Limited

Nathhon

Yes, I was recommended this bank as no WP required but their ATMs and branches are not so frequent. Here in my area of Isaan there is a branch in Chumphae and one in Central Plaza (Khon Kaen)

It's all based on the whim of the particular bank branch's manager.

I recently out of curiosity asked at three KBank branches and as chance would have it, two had no issue while the one near Soi 5 immigration located on Soi 2 Jomtiem flatly refused to consider it.

I also asked at all three if I could open an additional account in addition to the two I already  have and again Jomtiem branch said no while the other two branches  said no problem.

On ‎10‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 12:19 AM, khman said:

I would like to open an account but I only have a tourist visa.

Why would you need a bank account in Thailand on tourist visa?

Anyway, with proof of address you should be able to open at Kasikorn, Bangkok Bank and Krung Thai Bank. Unfortunately the yes or no will vary from bransch to bransch, just because they are always given to much individual discretion.

4 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

So you dont have to carry a lot of cash, or get hit with foreign ATM fees?

Always go in the Bank and do it over the counter, no ATM fees that way.????

Bit tricky outside banking hours though ????

3 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Always go in the Bank and do it over the counter, no ATM fees that way.????

Bit tricky outside banking hours though ????

Funny thing, the ladies at Krungsri wouldnt do an OTC. Hell if I know why.

In my own case, before I left I emptied my piggy bank where I had been stashing my mad money and found a whole wad of cash. A whole wad. Like enough almost to pay for a few months here of necessities at my modest lifestyle. No sense in carrying that around, so a bank account it was ????

22 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

So you dont have to carry a lot of cash, or get hit with foreign ATM fees?

You do know about prepaid debit and credit cards that have a worldwide ATM free function?

And taking out 40K in 1 withdrawal can´t be called carry a lot of cash. Just slightly over 1K dollar. Paying 150-200 bath for that withdrawal can´t be called expensive either.

4 minutes ago, HappyAndRich said:

You do know about prepaid debit and credit cards that have a worldwide ATM free function?

And taking out 40K in 1 withdrawal can´t be called carry a lot of cash. Just slightly over 1K dollar. Paying 150-200 bath for that withdrawal can´t be called expensive either.

OK, well everyone operates a different way in life. Personally I was not happy with the prepaid options I was presented with, nor was I enthralled about the ATM fees at my USA banks in conjunction with local fees. It was easier and more beneficial for me to have a Thai Bank account, especially as I may need same in the future for other reasons. YMMV.

3 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

OK, well everyone operates a different way in life. Personally I was not happy with the prepaid options I was presented with, nor was I enthralled about the ATM fees at my USA banks in conjunction with local fees. It was easier and more beneficial for me to have a Thai Bank account, especially as I may need same in the future for other reasons. YMMV.

I did never state that I operate that way. I live here on a permanent basis, and already have 4 bankaccounts. Got all with no problem, but with a Non-O Visa. I do understand why the banks are more willing to refuse bank accounts to people with tourist visa. That´s obviously because you are not supposed to live in the country on a tourist visa, and therefore not need a bank account.

51 minutes ago, HappyAndRich said:

I I do understand why the banks are more willing to refuse bank accounts to people with tourist visa. That´s obviously because you are not supposed to live in the country on a tourist visa, and therefore not need a bank account.

OK,  what works for you may not work for someone else. There are folks on Tourist Visas who may want or need a bank account and certain Banks are willing to accomodate them. 

10 hours ago, notmyself said:

Same Lamai. I suggest the member goes to BKK where it will not be a problem.

Its generally not particularly easier in Bangkok. I had to get a notarised letter from my embassy before Bangkok Bank were willing to open for me on a tourist visa.

Every other bank insisted on a Non Imm Visa as minimum.

9 hours ago, bobby2 said:

I have had no problems opening a account with Krung Thai. Only passport and proof of address needed.

You aren't clear about the proof of address.

Do you refer to Proof of Residency Certificate or something like a utility bill?

7 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

OK,  what works for you may not work for someone else. There are folks on Tourist Visas who may want or need a bank account and certain Banks are willing to accomodate them. 

They may very well want a bank account, but they sure as hell don´t need it. Why would a tourist that ain´t allowed to work need a bank account?

Want and need is to separate things, and you just don´t get what you want in life all the time.

8 minutes ago, HappyAndRich said:

They may very well want a bank account, but they sure as hell don´t need it. Why would a tourist that ain´t allowed to work need a bank account?

Want and need is to separate things, and you just don´t get what you want in life all the time.

deciding for others who needs an account and who doesn't is firmly on the totalitarian side.

Archived