In which bank can I open an account without a WP?

khman

12 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

the ladies at Krungsri wouldnt do an OTC

Krungsri charges for OTC anyway - 200 baht. So you would have saved 20 baht in comparison to ATM withdrawal. 

BBL doesn't charge anything for OTC.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, manarak said:

deciding for others who needs an account and who doesn't is firmly on the totalitarian side.

Where did I decide? I explained the difference between want and need, which seems to be a problem for some. At the same time I added my opinion to the comment, just like what is the reason for any forum in the world. People voice their opinions.

And my stance is clear, that a tourist in a country does not need a bank account in the countries he/she is visiting. That would mean that the tourist would open bank accounts in every country he/she visits. Is that really needed?

3 hours ago, HappyAndRich said:

They may very well want a bank account, but they sure as hell don´t need it. Why would a tourist that ain´t allowed to work need a bank account?

Want and need is to separate things, and you just don´t get what you want in life all the time.

For a variety of personal/financial/logistical reasons unique to their personal/financial/logistical circumstances. 

3 hours ago, moana said:

Krungsri charges for OTC anyway - 200 baht. So you would have saved 20 baht in comparison to ATM withdrawal. 

BBL doesn't charge anything for OTC.

I could have used that 20 baht to buy a disgustingly tasty piece of fattening cake ????

I don't understand what the issue is with opening a bank account. Right now I only live in Thailand party of the year (start full time next year). I've had a bank account here for 18 months with Bangkok Bank. Its a tourist account. I can't do Internet banking, but I can transfer money into it through transferwise, which is way cheaper than bank exchange rates. When I'm home, I can take out 10000 baht a day. Getting it was too easy, and I've never had a problem and get a decent interest rate. 

29 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

For a variety of personal/financial/logistical reasons unique to their personal/financial/logistical circumstances. 

Cut the BS. Why don´t you just say that they will need a Thai bank account on a tourist visa because of the reason that they abuse the system by using it for long stay reasons.

Thanks for all the replies, can we try to suggest banks on Samui now, it was easy until five years ago, please Samui branches last two years.

I don't think the OP is interested that someone opened an account in Thai farmers bank in Nakhon Nowhere in 1989.

I am the OP. First, thanks all for your replies. I see it is an interesting subject for you all ????
Then yes I am mostly interested by feedback and experiences in Samui.

From what I heard here in Chaweng no Kasikorn were Ok to open account with tourist visa.

I am ok to try dozen of Kasikorn elsewhere. Seems Bangkok Bank, Krungsuri, might be more tourist friendly...

Thanks all.

29 minutes ago, PoorSucker said:

After my reply, this topic is about opening bank account on samui, the OP don't want to open an bank account in Nakhon Nowhere, further suggestions will be erased without notice.

Well said.

I had one donkey's years ago but it lapsed and lost it. Four years ago I figured I start putting some money in a Thai Bank, 800k required for retirement, so I could just transition from tourist visa to retirement though I may have had to go BKK to do it. No way would any bank/branch do it. Need a work permit most said but some said non o. I went to immigration 'old school' and was tod that there is no official requirement. I.e. there is no law preventing banks from opening accounts for holders of a tourist visa. So I'm riding my saleng (illegal) around the island for days going in and out of branches carrying six grand GBP. and no interest. I sold it not long after so the money went back to the UK and have tried intermittently at various places to open one since but to no avail. Now is the question of if I am bothered and the answer is not really. If I really need one then I could get one here but I wouldn't do it like that because it could be due to some form of corruption.

I know Phuket has had some issues but I don't follow their local news because I don't have time. Just thinking about tourist masses but not heard anything about Pattaya but then to some degree, what happens in Pattaya stays in Pattaya? Worried about article 44 here. There was a lot of small scale money laundering going on some time before that with couples holidaying for a couple of weeks, opening an account and depositing large amounts of cash before electronically transferring most of it back to the country of origin.

So as for what to do. You'll get one in Surat but you would likely have to speak some degree of Thai. Be an interesting trip I'd say. First ferry over, transit to Surat and you'll get there just in time for rush hour. If you don't get an account before lunch then get a ticket on an overnight VIP bus to BKK and do it there no problem. Check the BKK sub-forum for details. Swim back.

20 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

I would say based on my experience in BKK ONLY, that Krungsri was the easiest. Bangkok Bank requires an Embassy Letter verifying your Passpost. Others wouldnt even touch me on an SETV.

Just to note here I believe you were very fortunate to get Krungsri to open for you.

I opened an account three years ago with Bangkok Bank and went through their rulebook with them in regards to Tourist visas and indeed the embassy letter is stated as the only means of doing so on a simple tourist visa or exemption.

Anyway the point of my post is to say for anyone who wishes to obtain this letter from your embassy in Bangkok please check your Embassy website and make an appointment as I had to wait three weeks for mine. Easy job and a few hundred Baht paid but you do need the appointment.

The banks world-wide pretty much have everyone over a barrel.  Hopefully when Stable Coin  or similar technology matures, we can ditch the banks, especially  considering that they hold our money for a fraction of what they loan it back out.  It's going to be a grand day when we can use blockchain technology instead of banks. 

On 10/25/2018 at 4:49 AM, Burma Bill said:

Yes, I was recommended this bank as no WP required but their ATMs and branches are not so frequent. Here in my area of Isaan there is a branch in Chumphae and one in Central Plaza (Khon Kaen)

However, not a huge problem with ATM's up Isaan, when living down south on Koh Samui or neighboring islands, which is what OP asked about...????

If your American go to US Embassy in BKK. Go to make an appointment on line and Notary Services.

Click Blank Affidavit (Attestation of Thai residence to open a bank account or other requested information)

The PDF is there to fill out make your appointment and bring $ 50 US that's it go to bank.

I,

17 minutes ago, Voltaren said:

If your American go to US Embassy in BKK. Go to make an appointment on line and Notary Services.

Click Blank Affidavit (Attestation of Thai residence to open a bank account or other requested information)

The PDF is there to fill out make your appointment and bring $ 50 US that's it go to bank.

Why bother when you don't need to in BKK, this is Samui specific.

On ‎10‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 3:11 AM, notmyself said:

Well said.

I had one donkey's years ago but it lapsed and lost it. Four years ago I figured I start putting some money in a Thai Bank, 800k required for retirement, so I could just transition from tourist visa to retirement though I may have had to go BKK to do it. No way would any bank/branch do it. Need a work permit most said but some said non o. I went to immigration 'old school' and was tod that there is no official requirement. I.e. there is no law preventing banks from opening accounts for holders of a tourist visa. So I'm riding my saleng (illegal) around the island for days going in and out of branches carrying six grand GBP. and no interest. I sold it not long after so the money went back to the UK and have tried intermittently at various places to open one since but to no avail. Now is the question of if I am bothered and the answer is not really. If I really need one then I could get one here but I wouldn't do it like that because it could be due to some form of corruption.

I know Phuket has had some issues but I don't follow their local news because I don't have time. Just thinking about tourist masses but not heard anything about Pattaya but then to some degree, what happens in Pattaya stays in Pattaya? Worried about article 44 here. There was a lot of small scale money laundering going on some time before that with couples holidaying for a couple of weeks, opening an account and depositing large amounts of cash before electronically transferring most of it back to the country of origin.

So as for what to do. You'll get one in Surat but you would likely have to speak some degree of Thai. Be an interesting trip I'd say. First ferry over, transit to Surat and you'll get there just in time for rush hour. If you don't get an account before lunch then get a ticket on an overnight VIP bus to BKK and do it there no problem. Check the BKK sub-forum for details. Swim back.

4 years ago (Oct 2014) I had exactly the same problem, (I had a non-o visa). I was looking for a fixed interest account for my visa money.  Gov bank & TMB wanted a work permit, so I ended up with the Krungsri Nathon. At least the interest covers the yearly visa renewal fees. 

Hi guys,

First thanks all for your interest in my question.

I had some news, ...

First, from what I read, Kasikorn is one of the best bank for farangs. I read if you go to many many, they might open. I think this is no longer true, for Kasikorn. I had both an email from head office stating officialy it's IMPOSSIBLE without WP (or regular visa).

Also, I managed to speak to kind of "boss" of a Kasikorn agency. He said it's now impossible. Seems some farangs managed to take advantage of their account to scam somehow when back to their country...

So seems it's impossible in all Kasikorn agencies...

This "boss" said it might be easier in the "red" bank. I wonder which bank it is... will open my eyes more.

And, as I read here, seems it may be possible in other banks. I hear a lot about bangkok bank being a bit easier. I will try everyday... First I have to get at least a long term rental contract to show.

Thanks all for the replies...... ????

3 hours ago, khman said:

This "boss" said it might be easier in the "red" bank. I wonder which bank it is... will open my eyes more. 

That would be Siam City Bank, google it for Samui offices map.

(Some 20 years ago they were the best bank in Samui for changing foreign currency, they always had the  best rates)

Kasikorn Bank was easy for getting an account in the past but they changed their requirements about 4-5 years ago as you have experienced.

8 years ago i opened an account at Kasikorn beach road Pattaya without a work permit and while on a 60 day tourist visa, only took my passport and a Thai lady friend as translator, it took 30 minutes. I am now retired in Thailand and have 3 accounts with Kasikorn. Good bank, farang friendly and never had any problems with them

7 hours ago, khman said:

Hi guys,

First thanks all for your interest in my question.

I had some news, ...

First, from what I read, Kasikorn is one of the best bank for farangs. I read if you go to many many, they might open. I think this is no longer true, for Kasikorn. I had both an email from head office stating officialy it's IMPOSSIBLE without WP (or regular visa).

Also, I managed to speak to kind of "boss" of a Kasikorn agency. He said it's now impossible. Seems some farangs managed to take advantage of their account to scam somehow when back to their country...

So seems it's impossible in all Kasikorn agencies...

And, as I read here, seems it may be possible in other banks. I hear a lot about bangkok bank being a bit easier. I will try everyday... First I have to get at least a long term rental contract to show.

Thanks all for the replies...... ????

For Bangkok Bank you need the embassy letter. Its clearly stated in their rule book so I doubt you will find a way around that.

Rental contract is unimportant....all you need there is a proper address to fill in on the form that is not a hotel or guesthouse.

19 hours ago, Amusements said:

4 years ago (Oct 2014) I had exactly the same problem, (I had a non-o visa). I was looking for a fixed interest account for my visa money.  Gov bank & TMB wanted a work permit, so I ended up with the Krungsri Nathon. At least the interest covers the yearly visa renewal fees. 

Interesting because when I went back to immigration for more info and said that I was told I need a work permit they laughed.If that were true then it would be close to impossible to change from a tr to  non o R, which it is not and Samui do a few every day. I went back and told the few managers who said I needed a work permit and they changed their story and said I just need a non o. But you had a non o so guess even that was wrong?

The question of opening a bank account comes up quite often on non Samui sub forums Basically, it's a cinch in Bangkok.

30 minutes ago, notmyself said:

Interesting because when I went back to immigration for more info and said that I was told I need a work permit they laughed.If that were true then it would be close to impossible to change from a tr to  non o R, which it is not and Samui do a few every day. I went back and told the few managers who said I needed a work permit and they changed their story and said I just need a non o. But you had a non o so guess even that was wrong?

The question of opening a bank account comes up quite often on non Samui sub forums Basically, it's a cinch in Bangkok.

Three years ago I went to the mall at Rama 9 where all the major banks are situated.

All except Bangkok Bank required a work permit to open. Its not a cinch....unless you have the letter from the embassy none will allow an account opening on a tourist visa and only Bangkok Bank with it.

Eight years ago however I opened a SCB account at Fisherman's Village with just my passport and a dodgy address.

16 minutes ago, RonniePickering22 said:

Three years ago I went to the mall at Rama 9 where all the major banks are situated.

All except Bangkok Bank required a work permit to open. Its not a cinch....unless you have the letter from the embassy none will allow an account opening on a tourist visa and only Bangkok Bank with it.

Eight years ago however I opened a SCB account at Fisherman's Village with just my passport and a dodgy address.

Aye. Must have changed yet again and by that I mean the banks rather than legal requirements. This is all very interesting and it does make me question my stance on the subject. If I needed one then I could get one this very day but it would require taking one of a handful of people among with me, depending on bank. I'm very independent and would rather do it myself but wonder if my position is erm. well...… wrong.

This all weird because how could anyone get a year extension on their non o R using the 800k method?

11 minutes ago, notmyself said:

Aye. Must have changed yet again and by that I mean the banks rather than legal requirements. This is all very interesting and it does make me question my stance on the subject. If I needed one then I could get one this very day but it would require taking one of a handful of people among with me, depending on bank. I'm very independent and would rather do it myself but wonder if my position is erm. well...… wrong.

This all weird because how could anyone get a year extension on their non o R using the 800k method?

I suspect any type of Non O would be acceptable in the end. A simple matter of finding the right staff member in the bank.

Tourist visas are a whole different and increasingly difficult issue. From the reports I have seen some upcountry branches are still issuing based on older and more lax rules but you would have to expect this to change in time.

3 minutes ago, RonniePickering22 said:

I suspect any type of Non O would be acceptable in the end. A simple matter of finding the right staff member in the bank.

Tourist visas are a whole different and increasingly difficult issue. From the reports I have seen some upcountry branches are still issuing based on older and more lax rules but you would have to expect this to change in time.

Yes indeed which is why I may be better served getting one now.

On 10/25/2018 at 8:52 AM, NCC1701A said:

don't forget you need a active Thai phone number and the phone with you.

five years ago i opened a account at SCB in Bangkok with a tourist visa and a bar girls phone number.  :clap2:

Do not need Thai number for Ibanking, My wife has a Dutch phone number and can make all bank actions on phone and PC/laptop.

Archived