Thai govt to put coconuts on state price control list

webfact

Government to put coconuts on state price control list

ccn.jpg

FILE photo

BANGKOK, 24 October 2018 (NNT) – The government plans to put coconuts on the state price control list in a move to end the domestic coconut price slump. 

The Permanent Secretary for Commerce, Boonyarit Kalayanamit, said on Tuesday that the Ministry of Commerce has proposed putting coconuts and coconut products on the state price control list for approval by the vegetable oil and crops' committee. 

Once on the price control list, manufacturers have to secure prior approval from the Department of Internal Trade before changing the size and price of their products. Manufacturers are required to supply officials with details of changes, while letting authorities know the source of purchases. 

The move is also expected to help curb coconut smuggling. Violators are subject to five years in jail, a fine of up to 100,000 baht, or both.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2018-10-24

28 minutes ago, webfact said:

Once on the price control list, manufacturers have to secure prior approval from the Department of Internal Trade before changing the size and price of their products

So what do you do at the Ministry of Commerce Somchai?

"I have a vital role in the Ministry as a coconut measurer".

41 minutes ago, BigBadGeordie said:

So what do you do at the Ministry of Commerce Somchai?

"I have a vital role in the Ministry as a coconut measurer".

In fact when I'm out checking sizes, I have a French assistant. When I want the tape, I always say to him, "John, Le Mesurier"

Just as coconuts get affordable again, the government steps in an ups the price.  Then consumers stop buying them, then there is less domestic demand, and the prices drops. 
Make a graphic - it's easier to 'get the picture' that way. 

4 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Still can’t get my head around the fact that coconut smugglers exist. 

I am sorry, sir, your papers are not in order, we need to do an in-depth search of your baggage and person. (I leave the rest to your imagination).

Archived