HEP A & Typhoid Combined Immunisation confusion

Durio

I will spend a month in December mostly in my gf's village in Issan and love to eat local food.  I am aware that Hep A and Typhoid are always a risk in such areas and wish to be protected.  

I am a little confused about whether or not I already have immunity due to my previous immunisations for these two diseases.  I know the obvious response should be to visit my family Dr and ask him but at $100 a visit I would prefer to get some feedback here from anyone who might be knowledgable on the subject.

On the 8/2008 I had combined Vivaxim injection and on the 04/11 I had the combined Havrix injection.  Does anyone know if this gives me 20 years immunity for these two diseases?  

Typhoid risk in Thailand is very, very low and the vaccines nto very effective anyhow. IMO no need for that vaccination.

Hep A:  Since you had the needed booster after the initial immunization you are protected for at least 10 years, probably 20.

You should however get the Hep B vaccine and also, as you will be in a rural area, Japanese B encephalitis.

Thankyou for your comment.  I was not sure if my second hepA shot was a booster or not.  I was wondering about a Jap enc shot but was not sure if they disease would be transmitted in December.  And I think it is a very expensive vaccine in Australia.

3 hours ago, Durio said:

Thankyou for your comment.  I was not sure if my second hepA shot was a booster or not.  I was wondering about a Jap enc shot but was not sure if they disease would be transmitted in December.  And I think it is a very expensive vaccine in Australia.

The second shot, since given after the first, will have served as a booster.

Japanese B transmission is year round. The vaccine costs about 1000 baht at travel clinics in Thailand. 2 doses about 1 month apart.

Yes I had the 3 pre-exposure rabies injection in 2008 and I also had tetanus shot within in the last 10 years.  I will get the JE injections in Thailand in 3-4 years time when I make the full-time move to rural Thailand.  

Archived