Briton to fly out to Thailand in bid to end agony

webfact

Brookin to fly out to Thailand in bid to end agony

177841320.jpg

AN aspiring model who was left clinging on to life after two car crashes will fly to Thailand on Monday for stem cell treatment.

Brookin Johnson, from Gosfield, has been paralysed from his chest down for two years and requires round-the-clock care.

The 32-year-old’s horrendous ordeal began when he was left for dead following a hit-and-run crash in Thailand in 2015.

Surgeons fought to save his right foot and he spent months recovering before he was well enough to fly home. In a cruel turn of events, just a week after landing back in the UK, a driver crashed into his car and the airbags caused permanent damage to his neck and spine.

Full story: https://www.gazette-news.co.uk/news/17007422.road-smash-victim-in-stem-cell-bid-to-end-agony/

-- Gazette News 2018-10-26

5 hours ago, mwbrown said:

Desperate people will jump at any chance as we can see here.  I guarantee you that whatever stem cell treatment he is coming here for is pure bullshit.  A stem cell clinic in Phuket?  Is that upstairs from the 7-11?  Similar things are going on in Mexico and China.  Several clinics have been shut down in the US.  Best case - nothing happens, worst case - he's dead.  No lab bench trials.  No university affiliation.  No GMP.  No clinical trials.  No peer review.  No government oversight.  Nothing but money coming in the door.

i know someone who went to mexico and had his fillings taken out to solve his prostrate cancer, he didnt want to go the traditional route

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, johnsnapo said:

If there are no options left then he is taking a justified move. Stem cell treatments are having quite a lot of success but for sure it depends on who is administering it. Places are being closed down on the orders of Big Pharma, why ? because it's something they can't patent and they are obviously worried because it is working in many cases. If it wasn't working, they wouldn't bother. Take my word for it.

or   they are losing out on the money that would have been paid to them

• Like 1

1 hour ago, happy chappie said:

2 stents first time 160,000.2nd time 1 stent 140,000.also friend had a couple in udon bkk hospital.700,000b.

A friend of mine flew from Thailand to London; had stent(s) on the NHS; died after infection set in.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, wgdanson said:

And on the NHS? Did you have health insurance over here please?

No the NHS were not up to doing much with me apart from pills and tests.i was having signs of angina and hopped on a plane and paid out of my own pocket.being treated for a fibulating heart was on my medical background so there was no way of having it done through insurance.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, happy chappie said:

No the NHS were not up to doing much with me apart from pills and tests.i was having signs of angina and hopped on a plane and paid out of my own pocket.being treated for a fibulating heart was on my medical background so there was no way of having it done through insurance.

Hope all's well now. 

5 hours ago, mikebell said:

A friend of mine flew from Thailand to London; had stent(s) on the NHS; died after infection set in.

20 years ago I broke my femur and it was pinned.infection set in the pin and I went through pure hell for nearly two years.i had flare ups and blood poisoning a couple of times.said to the docs just cut the bugger off but they wouldn't.anyway managed to save me and the leg.

• Like 1

I read the full story in the link, a pretty tragic story indeed. I wish him well with the Thai treatment but do wonder how successful that will be? I'm not aware of Thailand as being a pioneer in much medical-wise, except perhaps transgender surgery. Anyway, best of luck with everything.

Edited by AlexRich
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

I read the full story in the link, a pretty tragic story indeed. I wish him well with the Thai treatment but do wonder how successful that will be? I'm not aware of Thailand as being a pioneer in much medical-wise, except perhaps transgender surgery. Anyway, best of luck with everything.

Also penis re-attachment......................true.

On 10/26/2018 at 10:09 AM, mwbrown said:

Desperate people will jump at any chance as we can see here.  I guarantee you that whatever stem cell treatment he is coming here for is pure bullshit.  A stem cell clinic in Phuket?  Is that upstairs from the 7-11?  Similar things are going on in Mexico and China.  Several clinics have been shut down in the US.  Best case - nothing happens, worst case - he's dead.  No lab bench trials.  No university affiliation.  No GMP.  No clinical trials.  No peer review.  No government oversight.  Nothing but money coming in the door.

I personally know a man who took his daughter to Mexico for cancer treatment, we were in the Army at Ft Huachuca Arizona together, I lent him the money to do it, the treatment was illegal in the USA..............his daughter is a prosperous Lawyer today, when she was 11yo, the doc's in Phoenix wrote her off as terminal, stage IV............screw the clinical trials and Govt oversight.  Oh, BTW had the US Govt knew what he had done??  He could have been prosecuted, but he saved his daughters life.

I wait for the miraculous recovery of man getting treatment here.  Phuket 7/11 or otherwise.

On 10/26/2018 at 5:07 PM, colinneil said:

Stop with the BS, clearly you are not paraplegic like him.

I understand him being desperate to try stem cell, if i were younger i would want to give it a go myself.

Colin, I don't need to be a paraplegic to understand bad science.

My wife had Huntington's Disease, an inherited DNA flaw that slowly killed all of her brain cells.  My son inherited it from her and he is participating in every clinical trial that reputable scientists can get him into.  I've been following stem cell research and I've been going to scientific conferences for 15 years and I know more about it than most non-scientists in this field.  I am on a first-name basis with the preeminent mesenchymal stem cell researcher in the world.

I repeat, this guy is throwing his money away and he may actually end up worse off than when he started.  It's got as much value to repair his spinal cord as healing crystals and leeches.  I feel terrible for him, and for you, but this clinic is not the way to go.

On 10/26/2018 at 8:49 PM, johnsnapo said:

If there are no options left then he is taking a justified move. Stem cell treatments are having quite a lot of success but for sure it depends on who is administering it. Places are being closed down on the orders of Big Pharma, why ? because it's something they can't patent and they are obviously worried because it is working in many cases. If it wasn't working, they wouldn't bother. Take my word for it.

Drop the conspiracy theories. It weakens your argument.

• Confused 1

16 minutes ago, mwbrown said:

Colin, I don't need to be a paraplegic to understand bad science.

My wife had Huntington's Disease, an inherited DNA flaw that slowly killed all of her brain cells.  My son inherited it from her and he is participating in every clinical trial that reputable scientists can get him into.  I've been following stem cell research and I've been going to scientific conferences for 15 years and I know more about it than most non-scientists in this field.  I am on a first-name basis with the preeminent mesenchymal stem cell researcher in the world.

I repeat, this guy is throwing his money away and he may actually end up worse off than when he started.  It's got as much value to repair his spinal cord as healing crystals and leeches.  I feel terrible for him, and for you, but this clinic is not the way to go.

I agree with you on some of it, but i understand his desperation to try.

Think about his situation, paraplegic, never walk again, never make love to his wife/ gf.

Four years ago i read about trials going on at a university in Switzerland, i applied to be part of that trial, but i was rejected because of the rods/screws supporting my spine, when i got that rejection i was at a terrible low, thinking i have no future, my wife said ok you cannot walk, make love, but you have me, i will always be here for you.

Now you say he could end up worse off, how? being paraplegic, unable to move without assistance is hell on earth.

• Like 2

On 10/27/2018 at 1:54 PM, AlexRich said:

On top of transgender surgery, don't forget, butt, jim, and dick whitening, 

• Haha 1

On 10/31/2018 at 11:29 AM, colinneil said:

I agree with you on some of it, but i understand his desperation to try.

Think about his situation, paraplegic, never walk again, never make love to his wife/ gf.

Four years ago i read about trials going on at a university in Switzerland, i applied to be part of that trial, but i was rejected because of the rods/screws supporting my spine, when i got that rejection i was at a terrible low, thinking i have no future, my wife said ok you cannot walk, make love, but you have me, i will always be here for you.

Now you say he could end up worse off, how? being paraplegic, unable to move without assistance is hell on earth.

Yes, as I said in my first post, desperate people try desperate things.  I can really see that if it seems like a magic cure will solve a terrible problem, then it's worth a try.  But you have to do your research to see if this miracle is just a scam preying on the hopes of the desperate.

By worse off, I mean having a bad reaction leading to sudden death or an aggressive cancer, both have happened in the past.

Some day I really do believe stem cells will be able to treat a wide range of medical issues, but not now, and certainly not at this clinic.

I read yesterday about a spinal cord stimulator device that's being used successfully in Switzerland and other reputable locations.  Your rods and screws may disqualify this man and yourself from this procedure though.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/health/2018-11-01/neurotechnology-restores-walking-spinal-cord-injury/10446050