Sensored Movies

dave111223

I went to see "Music and Lyrics" last night at the cinema. And alot of the music convert scenes had massive pixelated areas of the screen to block out what appeared to be a large buddha statue at the back of the stage.

Also at one scene all the dancers t-shirts were blanked out with pixels. It was kind of off putting.

Is this kind of sensoring new in the movies here, or have they always been sensoring movies at the theatre?

P.S. Sorry i realize now i spelt Censored incorrectly!

Edited by dave111223

In the previews for "Music and Lyics", viewed here in Thailand, the Buddha image used on a stage setting for a live performance in the film, was not censored in any way. However, when I saw that preview I knew it was going to be a huge issue here, as it has been in other similar situations. I can only assume that this pixelation was added at the last minute.

I'm not sure I'd call it censorship (or sensorship)?

edited to add: Not sure about the t-shirts? Might they have had a Buddha image on them as well?

Edited by lomatopo

Remember I went to see quite a racy Thai movie; "Jan Dara" a few years ago. Okay, it was a cliched, art-house type of movie, but wasn't short in the nudity / shagging dept. :D Although the film had already garnered a bit of notoriety in the local media; there were still parents with young kids in there watching it. :D

Maybe when films here have a coherent classification system as to the age of people allowed in to view them, then a sensible attitude to censorship could be adopted? :o Probably not.

I was watching ‘The Contender’ on Thai TV here the other night with my wife. This is a program about boxing. During one fight one of the contenders/fighters wives was cheering from the front row audience. She was a big girl and had a large chest with a low cut T-shirt, but nothing extreme. I was amazed to see that her chest was pixilated out. I don’t watch much Thai TV and was amazed to see this. I really wonder who is in charge of censorship in this country. The program as aired at 11pm. Who do they think they are benefiting doing this. I’m sure they would do better to cast an eye over the newspaper death snaps.

I went to see "Music and Lyrics" last night at the cinema. And alot of the music convert scenes had massive pixelated areas of the screen to block out what appeared to be a large buddha statue at the back of the stage.

Also at one scene all the dancers t-shirts were blanked out with pixels. It was kind of off putting.

Is this kind of sensoring new in the movies here, or have they always been sensoring movies at the theatre?

Oh it's probably due to... Hugh Grant.

:o

Remember Bridget Jones 2... and the scenes in Thailand ?

So it must have been like an "alarm bell" in the brain of Somchai who was in charge of the cisors that very morning, when "Music and Lyrics" was on the top of the "to do list".

I mean : many movies show Budha statues. And I never heard of such a censure. Especially with pixels technique. Usually they... cut the scene. It's much more artistic... and discreet. :D

Remember Da Vinci Code ? They wanted to cut the last... 10 minutes. Ah ah ah ah

I mean : many movies show Budha statues. And I never heard of such a censure. Especially with pixels technique. Usually they... cut the scene. It's much more artistic... and discreet. :o

Remember Da Vinci Code ? They wanted to cut the last... 10 minutes. Ah ah ah ah

Of course many movies show the Buddha image, with respect and in the context of a story (historical drama) or as a legitimate part of a scene. It is just my conjecture that the local distributor was concerned about the local perception of a foreign movie using the Buddha image as part of a pop entertainment (stage prop) scene. So they chose to self-censor the film to avoid any backlash, which is usually inevitable in cases like this, if past history is any indication.

Some here have claimed observing censorship in films but I have not. Language, content (sex, drugs) and story lines seem to me to be presented in full.

TV censorship is a whole different kettle of fish. It is censored, but who knows by which standards and practices? You can show someone giving the finger in a film, but not on TV. You can show someone kicking the sh*t out of his wife on a serial drama on TV but not the same person smoking afterwards.

The Da Vinci Code was not censored here. A few minor groups wanted it censored but cooler heads prevailed.

P.S. Sorry i realize now i spelt Censored incorrectly!

It has been going on for a long time.....just the things that are censored that have been changed.

I remember quite a few years ago when the movie "The Last Emperor" was shown in BKK. There is a scene in that movie where the young emperor is shown nursing from his wet-nurse nanny. That scene was blocked out with a discretely positioned black spot covering the nurse's nipple. I was there then. The censoring has been going on at least that long.

:D

Every government is. Thais are not the most sensitive in SE Asia.

It sounds faschistic simply because we have a different set of taboos.

Apparently very recent taboos, btw? :o

Censorship not “recent” in Thailand,

Try and find a copy of the film The King & I

Whether you accept or not

Their country, their belief.

Are you talking about the 1956 film, "The King and I" starring Yul Brynner and Deborah Kerr? {I think you could find that if you looked.} Or the 1999 film, "Anna and the King" starring Chow Yun Fat and Jodie Foster? In either case you might be talking about a ban or prohibition rather than censorship? They're different. This thread is about censorship of films on display. And I can't comment on the censorship of "The Last Emperor", as it was released twenty (20) years ago.

Yes, that is right. All individuals and all governments are actually the same. How very discriminating of you to notice that deep down, everything everywhere is exactly the same. So, no need to talk. All words have the same meaning. Everything everywhere is exactly the same. If we could only be culturally sensitive enough to differences, we'd come to your Satori of Similarity.

"Pull up, pull up".

I just looked at the tracks on the soundtrack for "Music and Lyrics". One song is titled, "Buddha's Delight". Might I assume that's the song played in the live venue of the film, with the Buddha image? Please tell me the lyrics aren't too offensive? Maybe I should go see this tomorrow before they bring in the protest crowds?

Censorship does seem a little counter productive, you must admit.

Watching Valentino Rossi riding around on his yellow Camel motorcycle gave me the biggest hoot of all... multiple, moving pixel censors... the guy doing it must have gotten cheesed off at one point because for about 5 seconds all of the devilish advertising was on full display.

I suppose they are doing it for the right reasons... I give them credit for that.

Apparently very recent taboos, btw? :o

I actually live here in Thailand thanx, Ivan. And I'm just stating that the recent draconian censorship is just that. ie; "Recent". Hope this helps.

I can find a copy of The King & I in any format, any day of the week. Because, as soon as things get banned and censored, it makes people even more curious to obtain and see them. It unwittingly advertises them you see...

"Their belief" is modified regularly to suit the dictator / junta du jour[/i. Comprendez?

Are you talking about the 1956 film, "The King and I" starring Yul Brynner and Deborah Kerr? {I think you could find that if you looked.} Or the 1999 film, "Anna and the King" starring Chow Yun Fat and Jodie Foster? In either case you might be talking about a ban or prohibition rather than censorship? They're different. This thread is about censorship of films on display. And I can't comment on the censorship of "The Last Emperor", as it was released twenty (20) years ago.

I was writing about the film The King & I

Thai Authorities censured the viewing of said film as if was thought to be disrespectful to the King and subsequently band.

Surly if banned that is a form of Censorship?

Still banned in Thailand according to my Wife , (also checked with Thai brother in law)

Regards