New Build Roof

webby1812

Hi, I am hoping that someone has some experience of Trilon Cool series roofing tiles. We are having a new house built near Tak and the local builder recommended these tiles. From the translated information that I could find they seemed to be a good compromise for weight and solar reflection. However now the house is being roofed and my brother in law is concerned as to fragility of the tiles.

I have no experience at all, nor even heard of them until I googled it. A few bits of spec I read that you need to be aware.

First and foremost, and its me being cynical, I think the builder prefers them because they are quick and easy to install.

Basically they are a shera corrugated tile exactly the same as the cement fibre/asb tiles you see on many roofs.

Brittle, well yes they are when they get wet. when they are new and dry they are pretty strong but after a nights rain lets say I have without effort broken 4 of my fence panels just looking at then.

On a roof, well obviously some team from shera have spent time developing this product and think its good, but for a house roof, not sure.

it does say "to prevent rain ingress" you must use the tiles which are 1,3m long, thus cutting down on laps I think. Also to use 1.5 tiles at the eaves.

Seems they are coated with a nano? paint to improve the solar penetration.

If it was me honestly, I would be a bit nervous of being a guinea pig for something that is obviously new to the market and therefore untested. I am quite sure you can get something similar which does have some approval.

A word of warning though......if after a nights heavy rain and you encounter some drips inside, please be aware that if someone decides to venture up there to investigate, they are very likely to make the problem 20 times worse!

9 hours ago, webby1812 said:

My brother in law is concerned. 

Bro in law is right steer clear of new roof products.

Frankly the fibre cement type roofing is OK but so out of date now IMHO.

There's so much choice these days as to when I did my house roof, didn't have much choice at all. 

If you want a nice roof either concrete tile it or use the metal tile lookalike roof sheets using the correct insulation under roof cover lining technics.

If ya gonna do a roof do it properly get it right first time it's not like ya gonna change it like other things. 

• Like 1

I'm afraid I can't add much to the above ????

Our home is roofed with a similar product from SCG, it's proven durable (ok 5 years thus far) but it doesn't have the asymmetric wave or the nano-silver coating which seem to be the Trilon selling points.

The fibre-cement products are still very popular here, fast, cheap and the contractors know how to install them, the steel "ColorBond" type roofing does seem to be getting a foothold now mind.

All our outbuildings have the cheapest fibre-cement tiles from the local builder's merchant, no leaks (the chooks like to be dry) and they can be walked on (by a Thai, with care).

I agree with the BiL also, if I'm not mistaken the Trilon product is made by Sheera and after the coating wears off/thin the tile will become very weak, just look at what happens to other Sheera fibro/cement products around water.

I've looked at the issue of roof coverings here in Thailand for at least ten years and I've always concluded that products such as Colourbond by Bluescope come out on top, strong, waterproof, attractive plus they don't retain heat the same way that cement tiles do.

• Like 1

I live in one home with concrete flat tiles and another temporary village house with Diamond Fiber Cement Roof tiles. This video filmed in 2018 shows products that reflect the heat and lower energy bills for a German | American expat who lives in a small community in Buriram Province. He hired a local architect, used local labor and was his own project manager. The video was filmed prior to his garden or property wall being constructed. I've visited this home and it is very comfortable and cool. Note the windows that open inwards. My wife was very impressed with the large Mr. Ken Ceiling Fans in this home.   English and Thai video of an actual home building project where the couple did not divorce in Isaan. 

12 minutes ago, kamalabob2 said:

I live in one home with concrete flat tiles and another temporary village house with Diamond Fiber Cement Roof tiles. This video filmed in 2018 shows products that reflect the heat and lower energy bills for a German | American expat who lives in a small community in Buriram Province. He hired a local architect, used local labor and was his own project manager. The video was filmed prior to his garden or property wall being constructed. I've visited this home and it is very comfortable and cool. Note the windows that open inwards. My wife was very impressed with the large Mr. Ken Ceiling Fans in this home.   English and Thai video of an actual home building project where the couple did not divorce in Isaan. 

Any idea why they chose to have the windows open inwards?  

Windows opening inside are easy to clean both sides. If they are tilt and turn windows they also have two opening modes. These are popular in western Europe and almost unheard of in America. And as mentioned a window style like this keeps the flies, mosquitoes and things out that are waiting to jump in.

Back to roofs porcelain or clay tile are perhaps the most long lasting and available from SCG.

The home owner in that video was born in Japan, lived in Germany, worked all over the world including the United States. He had four window bids with the exact same style of windows. Not a challenge to obtain high quality custom windows and doors in Thailand.  He was clear to me that tilt and turn would be easier to clean. He had attended the Architect Expo in Bangkok to find a window fabricator who would make the style he wanted and install those windows and doors in a small community in Buriram province. 

"Windows opening inside are easy to clean both sides. If they are tilt and turn windows they also have two opening modes. These are popular in western Europe and almost unheard of in America." 

Thanks for all the replies, I was recommended this product line by the Builder having originally asked for  Colourbond by Bluescope and the Builders response was that there was a minimum order quantity that would be enough for 3 of our house size. The roof is now almost complete. Does any body know of a Bluescope distributor in the are of Tak City that we could talk to.

4 minutes ago, webby1812 said:

Thanks for all the replies, I was recommended this product line by the Builder having originally asked for  Colourbond by Bluescope and the Builders response was that there was a minimum order quantity that would be enough for 3 of our house size. The roof is now almost complete. Does any body know of a Bluescope distributor in the are of Tak City that we could talk to.

This may help:

http://www.bluescope.co.th/contact-us/

• Like 1

18 hours ago, webby1812 said:

the Builders response was that there was a minimum order quantity that would be enough for 3 of our house size.

What a wonderful fairy story. There is no minimum order for most suppliers. I know of quite a number of people who have ordered from SSR Ltd and they do have a minimum size roof to supply a crew to install the roof and quite possibly if you want long sections the transportation cost may make them a poor choice but AFIK no minimum order. One house that I know about had an area of about 120 sq m and they were happy to supply.

my roof area was big enough for them to fit it as well.

IMG_5568.JPG.7b91fe5b0ebd81efcb7cb35c528ff7ac.JPG

IMG_5569.JPG.1d7ad7d7685c88dd4271b15e94fc2a81.JPG

• Like 1