Taxi drivers ignore threats from DLT - insist renting by the month is fine in meter dispute

webfact

Taxi drivers ignore threats from DLT - insist renting by the month is fine in meter dispute

3pm.jpg

Pictures: Daily News

The leader of a group representing taxi drivers has said that his members are doing nothing wrong in renting cabs by the month.

They have to make a living and the current official meter charges are too low causing them hardship. 

Woraphan Kaemhhunthot said they turn on the meter but many have reported that the monthly rental cars are being used without meters. 

The vehicles are being rented out for 12,000 baht a month by My Taxi Co Ltd in which Woraphan has a financial interest. 

news_vcbKpQwcbc114351_533.jpg

The Department of Land Transport that regulates taxis said that top fines of 1,000 baht would continue to be handed out to any taxi drivers reported for not using the meter.

Pheeraphon Thawornsuphacharoen said that licence suspensions would be handed out for second offences. 

Taxi drivers are furious that 8% price hikes for the near 13,000 "OK" taxis ignore the demands of the majority of the 80,000 cabs in the capital who want to see prices raised.

Pheeraphon conceded that a study through November will be considering that issue. 

But figures comparing 2018 and 2016 show that taxi drivers are breaking the law more and more that is not helping the taxi drivers' case, he said. 

Pheeraphon urged the public to report all cases of taxi drivers refusing fares and not turning on the meter so that the service could be improved. 

Source: Daly News

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-11-02

They are all due a fare increase. But with that Thai will take fewer rides overall imo.

I have no issue if they don't want to take a fare. They should have that option, it's their business and stress behind the wheel.

Stop crying about your drunken ass being stuck on lower Sukhumvhit at 1230am You knew the situation.

Having said that, they simply must use the meter.

It's only happened a few times, but I threaten to or do just get out of the cab. Only a rube would arrive at a destination and be stuck negotiating the fare with some crazy taxi driver with weapons stashed in his trunk.

Edited by ozmeldo
  • Like 1

"Pheeraphon urged the public to report all cases of taxi drivers refusing fares and not turning on the meter so that the service could be improved."

Report how? Call the normal police #? Tourist police #?

I'll guess that the tourist police would be more likely to follow through but I've never called either one.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, stanleycoin said:

I think this could be a porkie pie. :whistling:

I'm not so sure: 12k to rent a vehicle, say 5k for fuel, that's 17k a month "fixed costs" before you make a Baht for yourself. I doubt many of them are taking 1k a shift...

15 hours ago, watcharacters said:

80,000 taxis in Bangkok?

That  must be a misprint..

No wonder they cannot make money. Cancel half the licences and then they will make money, because rain hail or shine they'll definitely stop for fares

12 minutes ago, JAG said:

I'm not so sure: 12k to rent a vehicle, say 5k for fuel, that's 17k a month "fixed costs" before you make a Baht for yourself. I doubt many of them are taking 1k a shift...

Yes,  you could be right,

if we are talking about an honest Taxi driver.  :giggle: :cheesy: :giggle:

19 hours ago, watcharacters said:

80,000 taxis in Bangkok?

That  must be a misprint..

There are actually over 200,000 taxis in Bangkok.

The problem is that there are too many taxis in Bangkok and too many refuse to drive properly.

I think taxis are too cheap, but they get what they deserve. Majority may be good, but bad apples are dragging them down, which taxi drivers should raise the grievances on their own folks.

23 hours ago, colinneil said:

I dont think so, have seen that figure before, 80.000 is a serious amount of taxis, how do they make money?Other  than cheating people.

That's part of the issue... too many taxis and not enough customers to go around !!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Media1 said:

1000 a shift lol. How long you been here 1 day. There robbing people blind out there

I've been here long enough  to recognise when someone is talking nonsense.

I think you are talking nonsense

• Sad 1

Take Lampang. Yes, there was a single taxi. No, it would  o n l y   drive for set amounts (250 THB for a short drive).

In Bangkok, at Chatuchak BTS, the motorcycle taxi drivers demand "100 THB" to go to Mochit. 

The DLT needs to throw the book at these operators and focus on the owners, not the little guys following orders.

23 hours ago, Notagain said:

There are way too many taxis in bangkok anyway its no wonder they dont make much money.

But on the other hand how to explain that many refuse errands because they are just to lazy perhaps ? ... they may not be all that in need after all ?