Pakistani who skipped bail after assisting terror suspect couldn't resist coming back to Pattaya

Jonathan Fairfield

Pakistani who skipped bail after assisting terror suspect couldn't resist coming back to Pattaya

45166357_703335116689003_5208083235824730112_o.jpg

Image: Thai Immigration

A Pakistani national who harbored an international criminal in 2015 and got bail has been arrested again. 

Khalat Bari, 32, was arrested in 2015 after fugitive Indian Jagtar Singh Tara was found to be staying at his house. The Indian was deported to face charges connected to the murder of a government minister in Mumbai. 

But Bari skipped bail and fled Thailand. 

However, he has now been rearrested after coming back to Thailand through the Sa Kaew checkpoint.

He was nabbed on overstay at Kerry House in Central Pattaya.

The Thai Immigration bureau said that Bari had links to criminals in Pakistan, Afghanistan and Malaysia. 

Meanwhile, a report from 2015 by the Indian Express, details how Jagtar Singh Tara was arrested in Pattaya after spending a decade on the run following his role as the mastermind in the assassination of former Punjab chief minister Beant Singh.

The Indian Express reported that the authorities were alerted to Singh Tara after he began proceedings to marry a Thai woman.

Source: Thai Immigration

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-03-11
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, KhunBENQ said:

Skipped bail and returned through Sa Kaeo checkpoint unhampered?

What does this say?

I thinks it says that many land border checkpoints don't have their databases linked to the central computer, which criminals are aware of.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

after coming back to Thailand through the Sa Kaew checkpoint.

He was nabbed on overstay at Kerry House in Central Pattaya.

And given Pakistan dude's penchant for dying their bonce bright orange was easily spotted no doubt .. 

• Haha 1

Actually it isn't that hard, especially if you have "connections".

It is a prime reason why some people "lose" their passports, in some cases often enough to be considered suspect. (The passports are actually pawned, or sold, or given to organizations who then use them to move other people around.)

Show up at the border with a passport in someone else's name, that looks fairly similar to you and there's a good chance the IO will give you a perfunctionary glance, check your stamps and stamp you out (or in) so long as the passport isn't flagged in the system.
I watch what the IOs do at various airports and border crossings and rarely do they look at me for more than a second or two. Enough time to note skin and hair colour and maybe one facial feature (like a moustache or wonky nose) and then glance to see if that looks anything like what is on the passport photo. If it looks "close enough" - off you go.

I have never seen one actually hold up my passport and compare it to my face, or look at my photo, then me, then my photo again as if trying to make sure that it was really me.

Remember how there were 2 Iranians on the Malaysian Air flight that apparently boarded using passports belonging to (Canadians ?) that had reported them lost/stolen while on holiday in Thailand. (I suspect the passports had actually been pawned for extra cash to prolong their holidays but whatever. Many years ago it was reported that a valid American passport could fetch up to $10,000 US on the black market and a valid Canadian passport was supposedly worth around $3,000 US.)

Show up at a busy border crossing, at a busy time, with a passport that has a photo with similar skin/hair colour and something like a similar beard/moustache and you stand a pretty good chance of getting through without any problems.

Kind of dumb to come back though, especially if you used your real name/passport. Who knows, maybe the guy is wanted in other places as well and figured he stood a better chance of avoiding detection here ?

Note - I am not in any way connected to the "Kerry House" noted in the OP.