Best PING vs EU in late 2018/early 2019

Guest001594

Hello everyone.

I want to know what's the best way to have a low ping to EU servers.

I don't really care about download speed or monthly price.

I am not a gamer. I need LOW PING to work because I use VoIP with my job.

I cannot do smooth phone calls to my VoIP gateway located in EU with 300ms ping.

Plan A) Are there low ping 4G/4G+ mobile solutions, no matter the monthly cost?

Plan B) Which kind of PING-to-EU-servers does the FIBER "gaming package" from AIS has, or any kind of similar packages.

Is there any plan C? The best would be some kind of mobile solution, even by paying 3000+ BAHT/monthly.

My locations are Bangkok and/or Chang Mai.

Any suggestion?

Thanks you to all

• Confused 1

When you say you want LOW ping like say you would like to greatly reduce your ping time to Europe from say 300ms to something a lot lower number like 150ms or lower, well, until someone figures out how to make those internet electrons/photons travel faster than the speed of light down the copper and fiber optics cables and thru all the servers/switches/amplifiers/etc., along the way, you will not be able to realize your desire of low ping.   With current technology (follows the speed of light law) around 200ms will be your fastest ping to Europe and the US.

I use two VOIP service providers....Magic Jack and NetTalk....I pretty much only call the US or receive calls from the US to my VOIP numbers and the calls are very clear.....like the person is just across the soi clear.  But these calls are via the NetTalk/MJ VOIP adapers connected to the router and cordless phones.   I use AIS Fibre...but when I was on True (DOCSIS/cable) the VOIP quality was just as good. 

Now, when I use the Magic Jack app on my Android phone the voice quality is not as good over a 3G/4G connection and on some calls there can be periods of 10-15 seconds where you can't hear the other guys talking and vice versa....I use DTAC.  I do not know if this is due to the added latency of a mobile network, a funky MJ app, or the MJ VOIP servers.

Edit: just remembered I use one other VOIP service which is Google Voice using a ObiTalk VOIP adapter with cordless phone....once again, clear calls to and from the US.

Edited by Pib
  • Thanks 1

Physically pretty difficult. Speed of light inside fiber optic cable is about 70% of the speed of light in vacuum. Therefore about 200.000km/s. 300ms is about 65.000km. Ping is RTT, Round Trip Time, so divide that with 2. 

Theoretical distance with 300ms RTT is (300000*0.69*0.300)/2 = 31050km. 

Add some tens of milliseconds for network latency etc. 

In practice 250ms from Thailand to Europe is pretty much as good as it gets. 

Depending where you call to, you might consider moving your VoIP server closer to your own location. If you call from Thailand to Europe, then it doesn't really matter. 

In case of VoIP there is also latency caused by sampling the and transcoding the analog voice to digital on both sides as well ass transcoding the signal in case the two VoIP clients can't negotiate codecs between the two end devices.

Edited by Guest

4 minutes ago, oilinki said:

In practice 250ms from Thailand to Europe is pretty much as good as it gets. 

250ms is a pretty high ping. I get 180 - 190ms range to Europe on 3BB fibre and high 200's to US.

I believe the undersea cables are copper, because if they were fibre I think we could get lower than that.

EU pings should be around 200-210 ms via fiber.

France usually is good, so if you use a low ping france location as vpn and then use your voip, you can get good voip quality.

some EU locations no matter what may have high ping due to bad peering / routing. You may want to test it first.

I have a ping of around 200-220ms to London with my 3BB VDSL. My VOIP works well to servers in the UK and Germany (software phone). I find that jitter can be more of a problem than ping anyway.

The correct choice of codec should minimise any problems.

I used to think that I needed low ping for good VoIP as well.  But now, I find that using VoIP on my smartphone with an AIS data plan works well.  I use Google Voice because its free for US calls and that works well.  But any VoIP service should work fine.  So I would not be so worried about ping time.  You can have perfectly good and smooth and consistent VoIP calls with AIS 4g data on a smartphone. 

Other than that, I would look for WiFi access connected to Fiber since Fiber tends to have lower ping on the first few hops.  But the international submarine cable ping time won't change much.

Edited by lapd

On 11/3/2018 at 7:21 PM, janclaes47 said:

I believe the undersea cables are copper, because if they were fibre I think we could get lower than that. 

Haven't seen any copper cables in major sea cables.

I would be completely impossible to reach the data rates with reasonably sized copper cables over these distances.

All fiber.

Copper is used in the shielding for supplying power to the repeaters.

Wiki has a pretty good illustation/sketch:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Submarine_communications_cable#/media/File:Submarine_cable_cross-section_3D_plain.svg

And some cut open images:

1024px-Submarine_Optical_Cables.jpg

----------------------

Just tried two pings to different German servers, one is 320 ms the other is 186 ms.

A VPN software that I use has a ping test feature:

France 166 ms.

Germany 172 ms.

Do not expect to get much better.

Physical limitations have been explained already.

Edited by KhunBENQ

• 1 month later...

Hello, I guess I'll give you a little follow-up.

I think I have been scammed by my AIRBNB host, which explicited and confirmed me that my condo's room (in Jomtien, Pattaya) had dedicated 100/30 3BB fiber.

Tests VS Bangkok:
In 2 weeks I never pinged bangkok 3BB server less than 26ms. Usually 28-30
Download speed from BKK was ALWAYS around 38-40 Mbps (very stable, I have to say).
Upload speed 9-11 Mbps, a little less stable.

Tests VS Europe (Italy):
I ping 240-280 my city big ISP. On this I have to add another 30-40ms of a DSL where my IAX server is.
Download speed was very unstable. I can test 8 Mbps, then 30 Mbps 1 minute later
Upload speed 2-3 Mbps.

This looks like a very fast DSL to me (and I can tell from my 192.168.1.1 that is shared with 3-4 more rooms, probably using just whatsapp).

------------------------

In the end:

The (BayBreeze) HOTEL fiber in pattaya let me ping bangkok 3BB server in 8ms.

The fact that the hotel fiber was shared with dozens of rooms, however, didn't let me to have a not-even-subdecent conversation (unless skype was used). I need to use the IAX protocol for my work.

My condo's room alleged DSL let me have decent conversation with my IAX protocol system, even with 300+ ping ms.

As long I was careful to speak clearly and aloud, nobody ever complained difficulties.
The voice was sometimes a little bit 'metallic', but no voice packets missing.

6 hours ago, Guest001594 said:

think I have been scammed by my AIRBNB host, which explicited and confirmed me that my condo's room (in Jomtien, Pattaya) had dedicated 100/30 3BB fiber.

Easy to tell: just look at cable going into the router. Phone cables and fibre are completely different.

5 hours ago, Stocky said:

TOT Fiber 100/50 from Hat Yai:

Bangkok - 19ms

Singapore - 38ms

Frankfurt - 175ms

London - 191ms

Seattle - 243ms

New York - 264ms

To get these pings to Frankfurt and London, TOT must skip Bangkok main gateway and connect you to Satun submarine cable point, which would save 10ms + 10ms trip to Bangkok and save pingtime, which is not common with other ISPs (3bb and AIS still goes through Bangkok from Samui)

in that case, good job TOT!

8 minutes ago, muratremix said:

To get these pings to Frankfurt and London, TOT must skip Bangkok main gateway and connect you to Satun submarine cable point, which would save 10ms + 10ms trip to Bangkok and save pingtime, which is not common with other ISPs (3bb and AIS still goes through Bangkok from Samui)

in that case, good job TOT!

Maybe, but if I ping Prince Songkhla University here in Hat Yai it's 29ms, so longer than to TOT Bangkok. I doubt we get to skip the Bangkok gateway.

14 hours ago, Stocky said:

Maybe, but if I ping Prince Songkhla University here in Hat Yai it's 29ms, so longer than to TOT Bangkok. I doubt we get to skip the Bangkok gateway.

Depends on destination.

There is no way Frankfurt and London pings will be as low as yours if connection goes via Bangkok.

4 hours ago, muratremix said:

There is no way Frankfurt and London pings will be as low as yours if connection goes via Bangkok.

No idea the route it takes, but that's what I get

7924140015.png7924143640.png

• Like 1