ENT doctor in Chiang Mai?

robodelfy

Hi

I have just posted about my ongoing throat issues in the Healthforum, linked at the bottom of this post.  I am looking for a good ENT doctor to get a scope, and possibly some ear tests. I will be in Bangkok briefly but then living in Chiang Rai. I imagine that Chiang Mai might be a better place to go. I have seen people mentioning Dr Rat, but does anyone know how I can email to get in touch with him?

Thanks  

I can no longer recommended Dr. Rak (not Rat). I know he's well regarded but he disappointed me the last two times I saw him.

Unfortunately I can't recommend McCormick either and would not return.

I was recommended by a trusted source to a very popular ENT whose clinic is on the L side of the inner moat near the bend, past Sompetch market. I went one evening but he was closed. If I can find his number I will post it.

12 hours ago, DonDoRondo said:

If you end up at the mighty Rama be aware that there is a queue system for that clinic.  Show up early and then be told what time to come back.

What is “Rama”... 

Do you mean Chiang Mai Ram?...

If so you can easily make an appointment thru their website 

3 hours ago, sfokevin said:

What is “Rama”... 

Do you mean Chiang Mai Ram?...

If so you can easily make an appointment thru their website 

But you and forty other people will get the same time slot..at least that is what happened to me on my LAST visit there, after making the appointment in person, for a routine eye exam.

13 minutes ago, moontang said:

But you and forty other people will get the same time slot..at least that is what happened to me on my LAST visit there, after making the appointment in person, for a routine eye exam.

I agree about this queue system for many outpatient  "appointments" being the reason for my "LAST" appointment at CM Ram also.  I was shocked to discover I was given a queue number when I showed up 15 minutes early for what I thought was a confirmed appointment only to discover 20 other people were ahead of me in the queue and I had to wait 2.5 hours.  If I wanted to wait in a queue to see a doctor, I could have gone to a government hospital for a fraction of the price to see the same doctor.

• Thanks 1

I believe that this is the standard procedure concerning the queues at the various hospitals.    The only doctor here in CM that I have visited that insisted on "on time" appoints was the psychiatrist at CM Ram.    After over 10 years of using the queue system, it's never changed.    All patients at "most" of the hospitals are given the same time appoints, and after that, it's a first come first serve basis.

And Nancy, of all people, I would think that you would be knowledgeable of this system.    Any reason you were given or thought that you had an exclusive appointment?

32 minutes ago, jimmym40 said:

I believe that this is the standard procedure concerning the queues at the various hospitals.    The only doctor here in CM that I have visited that insisted on "on time" appoints was the psychiatrist at CM Ram.    After over 10 years of using the queue system, it's never changed.    All patients at "most" of the hospitals are given the same time appoints, and after that, it's a first come first serve basis.

And Nancy, of all people, I would think that you would be knowledgeable of this system.    Any reason you were given or thought that you had an exclusive appointment?

That is not the case with the surgical department. Every time I have had an appointment with a surgeon, I was within 5 minutes after taking blood pressure, etc. seen by the surgeons. Cardiology can be somewhat of a wait, yes.

1 hour ago, jimmym40 said:

The dental dept. at CM Ram operates with "on-time" appointments asdo all the departments at Bangkok Hospital.  Most of my involvement with CM Ram had been with the dental dept, so I had assumed the rest of the hospital operated this way, as you would expect given their pricing structure.  

And yes, I'm very familiar with the "queue system" of other hospitals.  I often accompany people on appointments to the gov't hospitals and am very familiar with waiting for hours to see a doctor; I just didn't expect it at CM Ram.  You certainly don't encounter it at Bangkok Hospital.

Mccormick has a dedicated ent clinic, open every day...it is pretty easy to walk in or call and see the doctor quickly...I have done three exams followed by wax removal...last one was about 930 THB...I go every few years and have it done.

2 hours ago, moontang said:

Mccormick has a dedicated ent clinic, open every day...it is pretty easy to walk in or call and see the doctor quickly...I have done three exams followed by wax removal...last one was about 930 THB...I go every few years and have it done.

i like Mccormick and twice went there for different minor problems and it was fairly quick and doctor

was good.   I recently went to one of their clinics , was seen very briefly and not pleased with the result.

There was basically only one or two other patients for this clinic.   So,  unless i had a recommendation

for a specific doctor i would not go to Mccormick except for something minor.  

11 hours ago, rumak said:

i like Mccormick and twice went there for different minor problems and it was fairly quick and doctor

was good.   I recently went to one of their clinics , was seen very briefly and not pleased with the result.

There was basically only one or two other patients for this clinic.   So,  unless i had a recommendation

In my first post, I indicated both of the ENT doctors were good...one lady, one man.

18 minutes ago, moontang said:

In my first post, I indicated both of the ENT doctors were good...one lady, one man

OK.   So if you recommend the ENT doctors there then i would consider going there. 

My post did not disagree with you.  

Edited by rumak

McCormick is fine for simple things, children with fevers, the flu, basic internal medicine, some OB/GYN matters, simple suturing, etc. But anything complex they just can't handle. Many (but not all) of the doctors are very young and inexperienced. We once had an issue concerning the treatment by one of the young doctors and voiced complaint and a Senior CMU Professor was called in (at their expense) who agreed with us that the treatment was unsatisfactory/not aggressive enough after one week, and he changed IV antibiotics and ordered respiratory therapy every day. Our relative improved in 36 hours.

I had a horrible experience in the E.R. late one night. The doctor (who could not have been more than 6 months out of school) had never treated an eye injury - and admitted it! I really can't recommend it.

• Like 1

when i went to a well known opthalmologist she did a pressure test on my eyes ( a very simple thing).

this was not done when i went to Mccormick.   Thanks to me having pink eye and going to this second eye doctor i now know (link in CM forum) that i have glaucoma and am now receiving treatment. 

I recommend that all people (especially over 50) have a pressure test done to see if you might be at risk.

Nobody ever explained the risks to me....just lucky to have Dr. Songsamnuan catch it.

I would think that it would be normal to treat the pink eye and not do an opthamalic exam...I had that once here, and the pharmacist gave me some drops for 140 THB, and it was a fast recovery.  I am not even sure if a pressure test could have been done with so much itching, swelling, irritation.  Don't let your date use your towel...it is highly contagious.

Rumak, feel free to disagree anytime you like, I just thought you should read the entire two pages before drawing conclusions.  Good luck.

Edited by moontang

1 hour ago, moontang said:

I would think that it would be normal to treat the pink eye and not do an opthamalic exam...I had that once here, and the pharmacist gave me some drops for 140 THB, and it was a fast recovery.  I am not even sure if a pressure test could have been done with so much itching, swelling, irritation.  Don't let your date use your towel...it is highly contagious.

Rumak, feel free to disagree anytime you like, I just thought you should read the entire two pages before drawing conclusions.  Good luck.

thank you for your permission.  i do disagree sometimes to your posts.  Other times they are amusing.

but hardly ever do you let go of the bone..... the back and forth thing over who is right is not really my thing.  As i said in my post the pressure test is a very simple and quick procedure.  Any place calling itself an eye clinic should in my opinion perform this on elderly patients.   You are free to disagree.

no need to respond again... i think we have covered it

Edited by rumak

On 11/7/2018 at 10:02 PM, rumak said:

when i went to a well known opthalmologist she did a pressure test on my eyes ( a very simple thing).

this was not done when i went to Mccormick.   Thanks to me having pink eye and going to this second eye doctor i now know (link in CM forum) that i have glaucoma and am now receiving treatment. 

I recommend that all people (especially over 50) have a pressure test done to see if you might be at risk.

Nobody ever explained the risks to me....just lucky to have Dr. Songsamnuan catch it.

"I recommend that all people (especially over 50) have a pressure test done to see if you might be at risk."

I get an Opthamological exam annually (or try to) which includes a glaucoma test.

I agree that it's very important to check for this.

• Thanks 1