Billy Vows Never To Return To Phuket

faultytower

It all sounds like great fun to me!

We're headed down in June while in Thailand on vacation and I'm curious to see the changes. Was only there once before for a few days in about 2000 or so and just hung out in Patong.

Am hoping there's still cold beer and plenty of young lovelies to look at when the better half is looking the other way!

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just steer clear of the dodgy xpats,traffic, rip off merchants,polluted beaches etc.

Phuket has gone downhill fast

... yawn ... more of the same tired nonsense.

yes troll please leave.....................

problem in this country is open competition is not allowed, areas are controlled by mafia types and do price fixing, it is really up to the torist or expat to try and boycott them as much as possible, the hire of cheap motorbike could be a very viable alternative, surely you would soon recover the 500baht/week rental but would also be nice to know your money was not going to a rep off thai

problem in this country is open competition is not allowed, areas are controlled by mafia types and do price fixing, it is really up to the torist or expat to try and boycott them as much as possible, the hire of cheap motorbike could be a very viable alternative, surely you would soon recover the 500baht/week rental but would also be nice to know your money was not going to a rep off thai

good idea and I'm sure a lot of the expats have this sussed. :D

most of the rip-off thai's targets are of course tourist, who will leave with a very poor

opinion of the place. :o

and most of these dodgy xpats have not had a great deal of success with women........ hence the move to los.................met quite a few some nice but more dodgy

one day dogblower might go to los too :o

and most of these dodgy xpats have not had a great deal of success with women........ hence the move to los.................met quite a few some nice but more dodgy

one day dogblower might go to los too :D

so, not much success with women in the west!!! More than made up for it living here havn't they? and thats what really gets the PC crowd back at home.

Despite years of campaining against stereotyping, they are happy to stereotype all men who have slipped the shackles of western marriage, the CSA etc, and brand them as ex failures!! Not recognising the success they have achieved by moving out here and starting new lives and families and setting up businesses.

No, we were supposed to stay at home and be downtrodden, give up our homes and most of our income. :o:D:D:D:bah::bah:

To those who thought they could divorce us and live the life of Riley off the backs of our labour, whilst they lived with a sucession of weedy boyfriends. Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha... get a job now and support yourself!

one day dogblower might go to los too :D

so, not much success with women in the west!!! More than made up for it living here havn't they? and thats what really gets the PC crowd back at home.

Despite years of campaining against stereotyping, they are happy to stereotype all men who have slipped the shackles of western marriage, the CSA etc, and brand them as ex failures!! Not recognising the success they have achieved by moving out here and starting new lives and families and setting up businesses.

No, we were supposed to stay at home and be downtrodden, give up our homes and most of our income. :D:D:D:bah::bah::o

To those who thought they could divorce us and live the life of Riley off the backs of our labour, whilst they lived with a sucession of weedy boyfriends. Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha... get a job now and support yourself!

Oh, so true. :o

• 2 weeks later...

Well, my tuppence worth. The majority of the various posters' opinions are, of course, correct - even where they differ - from their own perspective and that is the real issue. I have been a regular to Phuket since the days when the only international telephone in Patong was the one in Thanon Songroi Pee Rathutit. They had the seedy old Nordic Bungalows off the open sewers of Soi Bangla, which also hosted the Hard Rock Cafe (no relation to the chain). From recollection, the Expat was there and so was Faulty Towers (but it opened from the other side and it was paddocks where the current entrance is located). It used to get busy during Songkhran but you could stay dry if you had your wits - impossible these days (and they didn't use the talc or ice the water). The same proportion of farang were as boorish as is currently the case, there are just more people generally, so the yobbo element is more noticeable. The touts in those days came in the form of people with drugged snakes and animals (still a minor problem) and hoards of little children annoying you to buy chiclets. If you made the mistake of buying some, or giving them a ten baht note to get rid of them, you would immediately be surrounded by all their little friends tugging at your shirt.

Patong has grown-up while Karon and Kata have changed to a considerably lesser extent. Kamala has seen considerable development, but the waterfront work was, of course, a result of the Tsunami. The actual part you drive through has changed little (just a few more bars and restaurants).

Patong is certainly not the place it used to be, but I do not consider that it is any worse - just a bit nosier, more hectic and offering a far greater variety of restaurants and entertainment options than was formerly the case. True, the tuk tuks are a problem - they used to be ten baht to take you around the block and only 40 baht from Kathu to Patong. Unfortunately, we have to face the fact that it is unlikely there will ever be a songthaew service directly between Patong and Kata/Karon for reasons that have been discussed to exhaustion in various forums.

I still love Patong, Kata, Karon, and the rest of the island. Yes, it has changed and there are many more massage parlours; the suit touts have always been there but their numbers seemed to have increased; and the tuk tuks that used to circle the main streets and beep farang pedestrians (as in, 'Do you want a tuk tuk?') are now static and the driver's actually ask (although there are a heck of a lot more of them).

For people who do not like change, or are put off by the touts and yobbos, I understand your views. For those who enjoy the greater variety of entertainment, etc or the more hectic pace of Patong during high season, I understand your views as well. However, if you insist the place is now a dump, then perhaps you should be charitable enough to accept that perceptions are rarely shared universally. I think that it is a great pity that someone who doesn't like a place should write a lengthy critical diatribe in a forum that should bring people together in appreciation of this wonderful country and its people. It really is a simple as observing the rule that if you don't like it, then leave. Why vent - what can you achieve that is positive?

Well, my tuppence worth. The majority of the various posters' opinions are, of course, correct - even where they differ - from their own perspective and that is the real issue. I have been a regular to Phuket since the days when the only international telephone in Patong was the one in Thanon Songroi Pee Rathutit. They had the seedy old Nordic Bungalows off the open sewers of Soi Bangla, which also hosted the Hard Rock Cafe (no relation to the chain). From recollection, the Expat was there and so was Faulty Towers (but it opened from the other side and it was paddocks where the current entrance is located). It used to get busy during Songkhran but you could stay dry if you had your wits - impossible these days (and they didn't use the talc or ice the water). The same proportion of farang were as boorish as is currently the case, there are just more people generally, so the yobbo element is more noticeable. The touts in those days came in the form of people with drugged snakes and animals (still a minor problem) and hoards of little children annoying you to buy chiclets. If you made the mistake of buying some, or giving them a ten baht note to get rid of them, you would immediately be surrounded by all their little friends tugging at your shirt.

Patong has grown-up while Karon and Kata have changed to a considerably lesser extent. Kamala has seen considerable development, but the waterfront work was, of course, a result of the Tsunami. The actual part you drive through has changed little (just a few more bars and restaurants).

Patong is certainly not the place it used to be, but I do not consider that it is any worse - just a bit nosier, more hectic and offering a far greater variety of restaurants and entertainment options than was formerly the case. True, the tuk tuks are a problem - they used to be ten baht to take you around the block and only 40 baht from Kathu to Patong. Unfortunately, we have to face the fact that it is unlikely there will ever be a songthaew service directly between Patong and Kata/Karon for reasons that have been discussed to exhaustion in various forums.

I still love Patong, Kata, Karon, and the rest of the island. Yes, it has changed and there are many more massage parlours; the suit touts have always been there but their numbers seemed to have increased; and the tuk tuks that used to circle the main streets and beep farang pedestrians (as in, 'Do you want a tuk tuk?') are now static and the driver's actually ask (although there are a heck of a lot more of them).

For people who do not like change, or are put off by the touts and yobbos, I understand your views. For those who enjoy the greater variety of entertainment, etc or the more hectic pace of Patong during high season, I understand your views as well. However, if you insist the place is now a dump, then perhaps you should be charitable enough to accept that perceptions are rarely shared universally. I think that it is a great pity that someone who doesn't like a place should write a lengthy critical diatribe in a forum that should bring people together in appreciation of this wonderful country and its people. It really is a simple as observing the rule that if you don't like it, then leave. Why vent - what can you achieve that is positive?

Why vent?

:o

Simple: 8444+ views and 167 reply posts.

The folks have got something to say. :D

You claim to understand their views, so what's yer problem?

So what if they have noticed things and removed their rose-tinted specs.

Let them speak, let them discuss - information can come out of it.

They are not claiming to have their "perceptions recognized universally," they are

just saying "This is my view on this."

That's all. End of.

The purpose of any real Forum is so that people can state and discuss their own opinion on

a given subject, and not feel that they have to 'brown-nose' up to a way of thinking,

contrary to what they really feel about something.

"I think that it is a great pity that someone who doesn't like a place should write a lengthy critical diatribe in a forum that should bring people together in appreciation of this

wonderful country and its people."

Jeez, pass me the bucket Mother Teresa! Appreciative? Of what exactly?

First things first: The topic of this thread was taken from another forum and pasted here by a Thai-Visa member. This thread topic was not written for this forum. Clear enough?

So, sit back and smell the coffee Sir...... :D

They treat their own beautiful country like one big rubbish dump, a corrupt military junta

government, laws to remove the devil-dog farangs from the country, the foriegn business act, the ever increasing wealth gap between the rich and poor, the fact that women, although usually the backbone of families, are still cast as second-class citizens, the muslims in the south, blatant open racisism and double pricing, the Thai embassy here in London is starting to tell people that the VOA is going to be scrapped. Yup! You heard that right, the visa on arrival is going to be withdrawn and any future visitor to Thailand, be they tourist, business, teacher, or otherwise, you will be expected to pick up (as a minimum) a tourist visa from the embassy prior to arrival, more hassle, more greed, more danger with bombings, censorship of all media (including the internet), etc, etc, etc, and it's getting worse.

And finally, that old chestnut;

"If you don't like it, leave"

So what are you really saying? "Don't spoil my party in my adopted 3rd world country".

So how do think they REALLY see you 'farang white boy/girl'? Perhaps you can't. :D

Let me tell you something. People are leaving and I just don't mean the people that may

disagree with your blinkered hippy sentiments.

People that own businesses that also employ Thai's, are leaving and investing elsewhere.

20% property slump? Who's gonna buy all those condo's and employ the locals then. Thai's?

Within the last year, billions of baht has been wiped off the value of Thai stocks, whilst

outside investment (bound for Thailand) has been stopped and switched to other SEA countries.

Yes, Thailand was a beautiful place once, but everything has its' season.

Now the party really is over.

Smell the coffee Sir, it smells very bitter indeed.

Chock dii to the good people of Thailand.

:D

Edited by billythehat

Why vent?

:o

Simple: 8444+ views and 167 reply posts.

The folks have got something to say. :D

You claim to understand their views, so what's yer problem?

So what if they have noticed things and removed their rose-tinted specs.

Let them speak, let them discuss - information can come out of it.

They are not claiming to have their "perceptions recognized universally," they are

just saying "This is my view on this."

That's all. End of.

The purpose of any real Forum is so that people can state and discuss their own opinion on

a given subject, and not feel that they have to 'brown-nose' up to a way of thinking,

contrary to what they really feel about something.

"I think that it is a great pity that someone who doesn't like a place should write a lengthy critical diatribe in a forum that should bring people together in appreciation of this

wonderful country and its people."

Jeez, pass me the bucket Mother Teresa! Appreciative? Of what exactly?

First things first: The topic of this thread was taken from another forum and pasted here by a Thai-Visa member. This thread topic was not written for this forum. Clear enough?

So, sit back and smell the coffee Sir...... :D

They treat their own beautiful country like one big rubbish dump, a corrupt military junta

government, laws to remove the devil-dog farangs from the country, the foriegn business act, the ever increasing wealth gap between the rich and poor, the fact that women, although usually the backbone of families, are still cast as second-class citizens, the muslims in the south, blatant open racisism and double pricing, the Thai embassy here in London is starting to tell people that the VOA is going to be scrapped. Yup! You heard that right, the visa on arrival is going to be withdrawn and any future visitor to Thailand, be they tourist, business, teacher, or otherwise, you will be expected to pick up (as a minimum) a tourist visa from the embassy prior to arrival, more hassle, more greed, more danger with bombings, censorship of all media (including the internet), etc, etc, etc, and it's getting worse.

And finally, that old chestnut;

"If you don't like it, leave"

So what are you really saying? "Don't spoil my party in my adopted 3rd world country".

So how do think they REALLY see you 'farang white boy/girl'? Perhaps you can't. :D

Let me tell you something. People are leaving and I just don't mean the people that may

disagree with your blinkered hippy sentiments.

People that own businesses that also employ Thai's, are leaving and investing elsewhere.

20% property slump? Who's gonna buy all those condo's and employ the locals then. Thai's?

Within the last year, billions of baht has been wiped off the value of Thai stocks, whilst

outside investment (bound for Thailand) has been stopped and switched to other SEA countries.

Yes, Thailand was a beautiful place once, but everything has its' season.

Now the party really is over.

Smell the coffee Sir, it smells very bitter indeed.

Chock dii to the good people of Thailand.

:D

Billy the Hat, you may find that people will consider your views if you keep them impersonal. Enough said.

Billy the Hat, you may find that people will consider your views if you keep them impersonal. Enough said.

Pots and black kettles eh? :D

You can accuse other folk of writing 'diatribes' and then start crying when the arrows are fired back in your direction. Oh, boo-hoo, boo-hoo. :D

Start throwing cheap comments at other people, you gotta accept what's coming back. Take it like a grown-up, or get a backbone.

quote:

"people will consider your views"

People? Ho hum, my reply to you was singular, not plural. What childish arrogance to assume that you speak for 'people'.

As for people, look at the figures for viewings and replies.

Kinda speaks for itself, eh? :o

If at any time you can generate an article that surpasses these figure's, do let me know and I will, without reservation, conceed my precious diatribe, and, furthermore, I will eat my old, well travelled Hat, in a public place of your choosing.

Can't say fairer than that now, can I?

Until such time.. :D

Edited by billythehat

Can always spot a troll ....... :D

And Leonardo shouldn't have bothered with the Mona Lisa, since painters had already been doing portraits for decades... :o

I see, If you don't want to get involved with, 'good old fashioned debate' just slag them off as a troll's. That should encourage new browsers to engage.. :D

Well done Sir.

Edited by billythehat

Lets cease with the personal attacks.

and billy, please don't post in all bold, it is similar to posting in all caps. A bit too much like shouting and tough on the eyes.

Patong is NOT Phuket! Patong is a beach town on the mid-west coast of Phuket. Why do people insist on bad-mouthing Phuket with Patong as a central point in argument? There are many beautiful, friendly spots to spend time on this island. If you don't like Patong - don't go there. Simple! :o

Patong is NOT Phuket! Patong is a beach town on the mid-west coast of Phuket. Why do people insist on bad-mouthing Phuket with Patong as a central point in argument? There are many beautiful, friendly spots to spend time on this island. If you don't like Patong - don't go there. Simple! :o

If you look at the IP addresses of the folks involved I don't think yuo will find ANY of them posting from Thailand that are doing that khall :D

If you look at the IP addresses of the folks involved I don't think yuo will find ANY of them posting from Thailand that are doing that khall :o

Oh hum, Is Sherlock Holmes including 'everybody' in his very sad,

"This is my Island and nobody is allowed to say anything bad" rant?

Has he checked all the IP's on the, "what planet am I on?" topic?

You know, the one's that disagree with him.......everybody?...mmmmm

jeez, take half an hour on the bouncy castle or something..

If you look at the IP addresses of the folks involved I don't think yuo will find ANY of them posting from Thailand that are doing that khall :D

At least in my case, Jdinasia, you are correct. I spend 6 months in Phuket and 6 months overseas (au) and am currently in au on some private business (back in August). Much as I would like to live in Phuket permanently, there are several reasons I choose not to do so, but sharing time between two countries is just fine (although not the most economical way of doing things). However, while I do not believe that lack of permanence necessarily detracts from a poster's viewpoint, I certainly agree that it takes a long time to know the place, the people and how things really work (the culture). After twenty-five years of spending significant time in Phuket, I, for one, am still learning...