Restaurant/pub Reviews

Bangkok Barry

I might have missed something here, but I don't think I've seen a regular restaurant/pub review section on the forum. Something similar appears for go-go bars in Pattaya on a forum or two, but why nothing for restaurants or bars in various parts of the Kingdom?

In case there is an interest in it, can I start with a review of the Roadhouse BBQ on the corner of Rama 4 and Suriwong in Bangkok?

I usually eat at The Londoner, but for a change decided to try the Roadhouse BBQ. It's been open for six months, and is spacious with three floors. A band appears some (most?) evenings. There are various themed nights - Monday is Quiz Night, Wednesday is 2 for 1 all night, Friday there are free shooters (how many or how often I don't know - I went on Dullsville Night, Thursday). Saturday, 10 baht off beer each time a goal is scored, with free wings at half-time.

The restaurant food is American-themed, and the whole place is Texas-big - the chairs, tables, even the door, all heavy wood. Even the menu is on a huge board they bring to the table.

I ate their baby-back ribs (495 full rack, 335 half-rack). My wife had salmon (375). Both were superb, and far better than The Londoner provides although a little more expensive. We also had Mud Pie (190) which was a major disappointment. White ice cream which had far too much ice in it, with a smearing of chocolate sauce. Nowhere near as good as TGI Fridays and San Franz used to provide before they rode out of town.

Other items include wings (135 for 10, 230 for 20), BBQ chicken (250), New England style fish and chips (red snapper at 275), NY strip (650 Thai, 1350 Australian), Philly Cheese Steak sandwich (240) and Key Lime Pie (150).

I was disturbed at first that the staff appeared a little inattentive and had to be called to the table, but on further thought I think that is preferable to having them whip your plate away 10 seconds after you've finished eating. And they seem friendly enough.

They have their own micro beer, and I tried the pilsner at 195. I expected something bland like The Londoner sells, but it was the best wheat-type beer I have had outside of Germany. And I'm pretty hard to please. They also have Erdlinger, which to me is pretty weak in flavour. 'Local' beers are 100 (Singha, Tiger, Heineken etc). Happy hour is 4-7, but I don't know if that is discounted prices or two for one, and it only appears to apply to the local beers.

All in all I was pretty impressed, with the food and beer but a little less so with the service. The place was a bit empty before 9pm and lacked atmosphere, but the music, played at a reasonable volume, was good light rock-style stuff. It's certainly worth checking out, and would surely compare favourably to the Washington Square places.

I wholeheartedly recommend the "Hofbrahaus Restaurant' in Chiang Mai's night bizarre. Right next to the Red Lion pub (which serves Kilkenny draught, so worth a mention too).

For around 380 bhat they do the nicest fillet steak I've had (topped with cheese, onion and bacon + homefries).

Great staff, lovely food.

After losing at golf, I aways end up there, paying for the 'winner's dinner'...

I ate their baby-back ribs (495 full rack, 335 half-rack). My wife had salmon (375). Both were superb, and far better than The Londoner provides although a little more expensive

The Great American Rib company is fantastic. Try that! Soi 36.

I wholeheartedly recommend the "Hofbrahaus Restaurant' in Chiang Mai's night bizarre. Right next to the Red Lion pub (which serves Kilkenny draught, so worth a mention too).

For around 380 bhat they do the nicest fillet steak I've had (topped with cheese, onion and bacon + homefries).

Great staff, lovely food.

After losing at golf, I aways end up there, paying for the 'winner's dinner'...

They also do a fantastic pork knuckle there as well.. Great with the Thai dipping sauce (naam jim)..