Bike Lift

AllanB

Was looking for a recent thread on rear stands can't find it, anyway looked at a couple and they don't do much, instead I was looking for a lift table/stand. My local guy has a no label one for B3600 and wondered what to look for, it is for my 200kg Shadow.

He said something about an 18" total lift, starting at 4"?? B3600 seems cheap.

Seen a few vids on Youtube but they have big Harleys on test and are US models.

Anyone bought one around KhonKaen?

I saw one in action today, it was lifting a Harley, except they used two and it wasn't up very high the back wheel was barely off the ground.

The Kwasaki scissor jack and some custom made blocks sounds a better option, as I would like to get it up a foot off the ground. That would save my old back. My bike has no centre stand.

2 hours ago, AllanB said:

I saw one in action today, it was lifting a Harley, except they used two and it wasn't up very high the back wheel was barely off the ground.

The Kwasaki scissor jack and some custom made blocks sounds a better option, as I would like to get it up a foot off the ground. That would save my old back. My bike has no centre stand.

I think up of the ground is not good enough. It must be stable!

Sure, for us older guys it's no fun anymore working long time on a bike on the ground. But working on an unstable bike a foot off the ground does not sound like a good idea.

On 11/9/2018 at 8:32 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

I think up of the ground is not good enough. It must be stable!

Sure, for us older guys it's no fun anymore working long time on a bike on the ground. But working on an unstable bike a foot off the ground does not sound like a good idea.

Absolutely. Been looking at my 400 Honda undercarriage and it hard to see how anything on it's own will be at all stable. So need to build a custom stand, starting with a bike lift.

The centre stand is missing on my bike, but the brackets are there so that will give a support anchor point for the rear, maybe push the bike lift forward and just support the front of the bike with the lift.

In addition have a safety rope from the roof ridge bar.

On 11/9/2018 at 12:42 PM, AllanB said:

The Kwasaki scissor jack and some custom made blocks sounds a better option, as I would like to get it up a foot off the ground.

I now push up my CRF with help onto a table and use a rear paddock stand and two scissor jacks under the front forks, have room for a chair, tools & beer.

I made this up a way back with 25mm thick wood board to lift my CB400 with four scissor jacks bolted to the board positioned to lift front forks and bike frame.

Rough sketch,  

578681196_bikelife.png.1dacb985eebac058d50b9d24b0e462e4.png

On 11/11/2018 at 4:55 AM, Kwasaki said:

I now push up my CRF with help onto a table and use a rear paddock stand and two scissor jacks under the front forks, have room for a chair, tools & beer.

I made this up a way back with 25mm thick wood board to lift my CB400 with four scissor jacks bolted to the board positioned to lift front forks and bike frame.

Rough sketch,  

578681196_bikelife.png.1dacb985eebac058d50b9d24b0e462e4.png

I just bought a bike lift (B3500) and will do something similar, haven't figured out what yet. Probably something similar..... Will show........ if it works. You don't show the bottle opener of your sketch?

14 hours ago, AllanB said:

You don't show the bottle opener of your sketch?

Not sure what you mean, they were scissor jacks not bottle jacks.

You obviously opened the 2 back and 2 front in unison to the desired height.

They were 145 baht at the time & 100 bht for the off-cut wood-plank.

Okay, the scissor jack does the job nicely on my bike, but alone is quite instable and did plan on using the planks I use to load the bike, to make some support blocks. However, the little divils have eaten them down 50%, so will make a steel frame instead and that will give me a great work height, high stability and easy lift.

Also going to get a proper aluminium loading ramp, otherwise everywhere will be infested while I am away next year. Chuck all the wood away TIT.

Having said that they did leave my bathroom door frame alone this year to eat the planks? So maybe leave them as sacraficial eating.

• 3 weeks later...

Had access to a welder last night and some scrap box section and got something cobbled together which works and is quite stable. That said I use a cambuckle strap around the roof ridgebar in case I get carried away.

The welding is really shit, "birdshit" to be precise, will buy an auto welding helmet, so I can use a steadying hand as my hand is now pretty shakey. Will then make a taller one but out of thicker section angle iron, with a bigger base.

I take my hat off to Thaiguzzi working in this heat...and I have aircon....and it is winter.....still sweating like a pig.

But anyway can now work at a decent height......

IMG_6852.JPG

Jeez Allan, 3.5k for that?

Here's one of my many stands, total cost, a couple of hours of my time in the shed and 650 Baht for a high end scissor jack.

001.thumb.jpg.26583753af497749c29b3b63679972db.jpg003.thumb.jpg.65197db23462602190227f7e1e6d86c2.jpg

When working on a bike, i like the thing to be in front of me with a straight(ish) back.

Your bike looks like its a bit low. A foot off the ground? That would be ok for a chain adjust or drop the oil, but for a serious working session would do my head (back) in.

Yeah, i work on actual bikes outside, big outdoor pedestal fan (2k ish).

And because the house is on its own surrounded by trees on a decent plot in the countryside, we get a decent breeze usually which helps.

No aircon workshop for me - sweating like a pig? Get fit & lose some weight - get out on that CRF off road and start sweating - great exercise.

7 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

Jeez Allan, 3.5k for that?

Here's one of my many stands, total cost, a couple of hours of my time in the shed and 650 Baht for a high end scissor jack.

001.thumb.jpg.26583753af497749c29b3b63679972db.jpg003.thumb.jpg.65197db23462602190227f7e1e6d86c2.jpg

When working on a bike, i like the thing to be in front of me with a straight(ish) back.

Your bike looks like its a bit low. A foot off the ground? That would be ok for a chain adjust or drop the oil, but for a serious working session would do my head (back) in.

Yeah, i work on actual bikes outside, big outdoor pedestal fan (2k ish).

And because the house is on its own surrounded by trees on a decent plot in the countryside, we get a decent breeze usually which helps.

No aircon workshop for me - sweating like a pig? Get fit & lose some weight - get out on that CRF off road and start sweating - great exercise.

Yes mistake, that lift was way too expensive, they are 1/3rd that price in the UK and yes it isn't high enough either, but can increase that.

I don't carry a lot of weight (84kg/6ft) but am very unfit, do a lot penpushing for a living now and am getting on in years. Fighting arthritis and chronic bronchitis, but most of all laziness/lathergy in this climate. I do better in Portugal where the mornings are cool, even cold.

I did the plumbing and lighting on the swimming pool, dripped over everything and likewise on two others we built. The Thais just laughed to see me shed so much water, faster than I could drink it.

We have a trip to Loei province planned for late December, 4 bikes 6 people we hope. Trying to get the Shadow up and running for that with the bits chopped off and new bits, but unpainted, if not the CRF.

Started thrashing the CRF a bit more now, but need to be careful on these roads. The 13t sprocket is better and does effect top end since of don't use it.

Archived