Dengue and alcohol

Badrabbit

No non-alcoholic beer in Thailand.

Soda water as suggested, or soft drinks or fruit juices.

Dengue recovery is slow and leaves you pretty washed out. He may not find he's really up to going to bars for a while.

Warn him to expect depression during convalesence and it can be severe. They often forget to tell people this. It helps to know it is normal part of the disease.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Okay I will.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

9 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Dengue recovery is slow and leaves you pretty washed out. He may not find he's really up to going to bars for a while.

Warn him to expect depression during convalesence and it can be severe. They often forget to tell people this. It helps to know it is normal part of the disease.

Just as I experienced. Thankfully it doesn't sound as if the mans had a serious bout. If he fancies a beer he cant be too bad. I wish him well.

• Like 1

Just as I experienced. Thankfully it doesn't sound as if the mans had a serious bout. If he fancies a beer he cant be too bad. I wish him well.

I think it's been mild, he has maybe lost a kg or two but no more, he doesn't want to eat because of diarrhoea(not bad) he does fancy beer but will not as doc advised against it, he has been on saline drips and lots of anti biotics plus tablets, and many blood tests, want to see final bill!

• Like 1

Dengue fever is not a bacterial infection it is viral infection so anit-bs will do nothing except push the hospital bill up and make your body more resistant to anti-bs when you DO need them. Best treatment is stay at home, loads of fluids, Tylenol or codein to relieve any headaches....NOT NSAIDs like para or ibuprofen. Maybe next month or year, a nice dose of cannabis will be able to help. If you fancy a beer or two....have them.
Anti biotics are for his diarrhoea.

Sounds like a very very mild case of Dengue.
200K !!!! As in 2000,000 Baht ?
I had quite a bad dose of Dengue lost 10kg in 10 days didn't want a beer for three weeks.
Didn't go to hospital.
Why go to hospital unless your bleeding from any part of your body all they can do is as you've found out give you a crazy bill.
Hope your friend recovers soon and I hope his insurance is in order.
Don't know what the bill is but I'm sure it's going to be 150k up.

• Sad 1

Personally, I would not tell anybody ...to expect anything, while recovering from an illness. If they do develop one of the above then you can tell them that this is "normal" during the recovery period. ...Why would I not tell them to "expect" these after effects?
Because it has been my experience that when you tell people to "expect" this to happen...that alone is enough to "bring it on".    People have more power over their bodies ...than they realize....consciencely or sub-consciencely.
Just my own experience...I am a great believer in us having power over our futures by what and what we do not .."focus out thoughts on".

My personal experience having dengue and that of many others was that I thought I was losing my mind and was afraid to discuss it with anyone. It was only when a felliw patient, similarly and unnecessarily eorried gor her sanity, confuded in me that we noth tealuzrd what was going on.

This us not an advverse effect that only a few people get. It us close to universal.

Not letting people know the expected course of their disease is a bad idea.

2 hours ago, wgdanson said:

and make your body more resistant to anti-bs

Your body does not become resistant to antibiotics.

If you don't have any bacteria, the antibiotics won't do anything, good or bad.

If you do have bacteria, and you take enough antibiotics to kill that bacteria, there is no problem.

Only bacteria you don't completely kill while taking antibiotics can become resistant.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Your body does not become resistant to antibiotics.

If you don't have any bacteria, the antibiotics won't do anything, good or bad.

If you do have bacteria, and you take enough antibiotics to kill that bacteria, there is no problem.

Only bacteria you don't completely kill while taking antibiotics can become resistant.

Thanks for that, and that is why you must ALWAYS complete an a-b course. The first tabs kill the weak little buggers, but it takes a week to wipe out them all.

I was in hospital for 5 days earlier this year with Dengue - borderline hemorrhagic with very low WBC.  2 hourly BP & Temperature checks, and 8 hourly WBC checks.  Continuous saline drip, with ABs and additional vitamins.  Para as required to help reduce temperature.  

Loss of appetite caused me to lose around 8kg, and I then developed a chesty "smokers" cough a week or so later after the oral ABs finished.  No depression (other than feeling totally wiped-out). 

Cost 45kbt in a private (but not intl.) hospital - self funded as no insurance. 

20 hours ago, Sheryl said:

No non-alcoholic beer in Thailand.

Soda water as suggested, or soft drinks or fruit juices.

Re 'long' drink options to beer i have always considered ice tea. For me though i am not a fan of sweet and it always seems to be the sweet version is the only one the bars have. Nice non sweet ice teas can be found in supermarket for home consumption.

Re 'long' drink options to beer i have always considered ice tea. For me though i am not a fan of sweet and it always seems to be the sweet version is the only one the bars have. Nice non sweet ice teas can be found in supermarket for home consumption.
Cheers mate, we have both decided to quit beer, I'm thinking fresh orange with maybe lemonade and ice, in the bar we go to I noticed cartons of 100% fresh juices so all good.

I was in hospital for 5 days earlier this year with Dengue - borderline hemorrhagic with very low WBC.  2 hourly BP & Temperature checks, and 8 hourly WBC checks.  Continuous saline drip, with ABs and additional vitamins.  Para as required to help reduce temperature.  

Loss of appetite caused me to lose around 8kg, and I then developed a chesty "smokers" cough a week or so later after the oral ABs finished.  No depression (other than feeling totally wiped-out). 

Cost 45kbt in a private (but not intl.) hospital - self funded as no insurance. 

It does vary with the hospital and location, as well as the room chouce (in some private hospitals here the room charge alone of a "VIP suite" reaches 20k a day). Sounds like the patient is in Phuket.

Even so I agree hard to imagine a bill over 100k in the absence of ICU care, surgery etc unless he is in such a high priced suite.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wgdanson said:

Dengue fever is not a bacterial infection it is viral infection so anit-bs will do nothing except push the hospital bill up and make your body more resistant to anti-bs when you DO need them. Best treatment is stay at home, loads of fluids, Tylenol or codein to relieve any headaches....NOT NSAIDs like para or ibuprofen. Maybe next month or year, a nice dose of cannabis will be able to help. If you fancy a beer or two....have them.

Yes, cannabis really helps. Got dengue once about 30 years ago on Koh Chang, no doctor and i was to weak for transport - they had only a fishing boat. I didn't drink any alcohol then, but as just about everybody smoked pot, it was the best thing to do.

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Gruff said:

Sorry mate, tea should be strong, brown with a splash of milk. But if you do need it, try green tea leaves, not bags, a teapot, and a few ice cubes. Lemon or lime, and a touch of honey. can go in it