Officials testing blood after mass food poisoning

geovalin

Ratanakkiri provincial health department officials are testing blood samples to find out why nearly 200 villagers came down with food poisoning at a funeral in Ou Chum district on Friday. Provincial health department director Oung Ratana said yesterday that the villagers suffered vomiting and diarrhoea after eating unsafe food at the funeral in Samaki commune, noting that they were sent to the provincial referral hospital.

He said that all of them recovered and have been sent home, adding that officials are now trying to pinpoint which food caused the poisoning. “They ate food which was not hygienic,” Mr Ratana said. “We appeal to villagers to only eat food which is cooked properly.”

Khat Soveng, a resident in Ou Chum district, said that most of the victims are ethnic minorities who sometimes do not cook food in a hygienic way. “They may have eaten contaminated food at the funeral event,” she said. “The local authorities previously went to the commune to teach the villagers about food safety.”

read more https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50549486/officials-testing-blood-after-mass-food-poisoning/

khmer_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khmer Times 12/11

From my experience Thai people have very little education or knowledge about food safety.   They no nothing about proper food storage temperatures.   You see food sit overnight before these types large gatherings.   No one uses coolers or much ice, never a thermometer in use.  Another reason for Chinese to stay away.  Undercooked shrimp got me sick once in BKK near asoke.   I will make sure to complain in the future if undercooked.