Which Visa to get for UK

I have had advice from a number of 'Visa Agencies' on the type of visa I should apply for to take my Thai lady to the UK to marry her.

Reading the UK Gov website it reads that I need to apply for a Marriage Visitors Visa and that myself, friends or family can sponsor the visit.

....................................................................................................................................................................

I have been told (all with a 25000+ bhat agency fee for arranging).....................

I need a Fiancee Visa and that only I can sponsor her.  

I only need a Visitor Visa and anyone can sponsor her.

The UK no longer issues visas to marry in UK and we must marry in Thailand first.

I am very confused now can someone shed some light on the subject please.

You can marry in the UK on a Marriage Visitor visa, but your wife will have to return to Thailand after you have married.  Otherwise, she will need to get a "Fiancee" visa, which means you will have to meet the financial requirements and English language requirements for Settlement visas.

First of all, you don't apply for any type of visa, your girlfriend is the applicant and it's she that needs to apply for a visa.

You've only told us half the story, does your girlfriend want to apply for Settlement in the UK after your marriage?

If you and your girlfriend marry in Thailand and she wishes to apply for Settlement in the UK, far the most straightforward, you marry here and then she applies for a Settlement Visa. The application fee is $2063, about 68,000 Baht, there is a NHS Surcharge on top of the application fee, the initial cost of this is £600, though that is set to double. As her sponsor, it has to be the partner nobody else, you have to meet the minimun income requirements, currently £18,600, she has to pass an English language test and provide evidence that she's clear of TB.

After 30 months she would need to apply for further leave to remain, this attracts similar fees.

Any agents fees would be on top of this.

If you both wish to marry in the UK, then she either needs a Fiancée Visa or a Standard Visit Visa, the Fiancée Visa can be converted to allow her to remain in the UK, with similar fees, whilst on a Standard Visit Visa she would need to return to Thailand to apply for Settlement.

35 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

First of all, you don't apply for any type of visa, your girlfriend is the applicant and it's she that needs to apply for a visa.

You've only told us half the story, does your girlfriend want to apply for Settlement in the UK after your marriage?

If you and your girlfriend marry in Thailand and she wishes to apply for Settlement in the UK, far the most straightforward, you marry here and then she applies for a Settlement Visa. The application fee is $2063, about 68,000 Baht, there is a NHS Surcharge on top of the application fee, the initial cost of this is £600, though that is set to double. As her sponsor, it has to be the partner nobody else, you have to meet the minimun income requirements, currently £18,600, she has to pass an English language test and provide evidence that she's clear of TB.

After 30 months she would need to apply for further leave to remain, this attracts similar fees.

Any agents fees would be on top of this.

If you both wish to marry in the UK, then she either needs a Fiancée Visa or a Standard Visit Visa, the Fiancée Visa can be converted to allow her to remain in the UK, with similar fees, whilst on a Standard Visit Visa she would need to return to Thailand to apply for Settlement.

We want to marry in the UK and both then return to our home in Thailand. Neither of us want to live in England.

In which case your partner needs to apply for a https://www.gov.uk/marriage-visa, there are no financial requirements other than to satisfy the decision maker that the trip is affordable.

You or a third party can provide financial support, obvioulsy your partner will need to satisfy the ECO that she will return home after your marriage.

I'm not sure that I'd be paying 25,000 Baht for an agent, but if you need some help with the process I can recommend somebody who is highly qualified.

In which case your partner needs to apply for a https://www.gov.uk/marriage-visa, there are no financial requirements other than to satisfy the decision maker that the trip is affordable.

You or a third party can provide financial support, obvioulsy your partner will need to satisfy the ECO that she will return home after your marriage.

I'm not sure that I'd be paying 25,000 Baht for an agent, but if you need some help with the process I can recommend somebody who is highly qualified.
Just to add, you also need "proof" of your intention to marry, like a copy of the Registry booking. We just used the email confirmation of the date we had booked.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app