Thailand Demands Telecom, Satellites Back From Singapore

george

Govt to carry out opinion survey on satellite concession

Information and Communications Technology Minister Sitthichai Pookaiyaudom said Tuesday that the government would carry out an opinion survey to gauge whether the public want the state to retake Shin-Satellite concession.

The survey will be carried out by the National Statistics Bureau and will take about a month to complete, the ICT minister said before attending the weekly Cabinet meeting.

"If just over 50 per cent of respondents want us to take back the concession, we will not take any action yet. We'll take action only if more than 75 per cent of respondents want us to do so," Sitthichai said.

source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingne...newsid=30027346

This is a classic is it not?

Just what is the sample size and geographical distribution going to be?

I hope somchai in his shack in Nakhon nowhere gets an equal say.

They should also give an alrernative investment strategy - nothing sensible of course like education scholarships but something like buying a premiership club (oops forgot they tried that one)

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I give up - and admit to the fact that Singapore is about to take over Thailand militarily, technologically and economically and buying the ShinCorp (privately owned) satellites is one way of these demons of the South China Sea to usurp a legally installed military regime . . . oops!

Singaporeans are quite clearly the bad guys in this story and several posters here are obfuscating the issue as blatantly as the press and government in Thailand by deflecting discussion to an aside topic.

Mushrooms are after all simply fungus and transparency is a Thai trait . . .

Oi Gewalt!

ROFLMAO - brilliant

We really do have some conspiracy theorists on Thaivisa - how they moved to Thailand and not to the wilds of Montana beats me.

phpbxQ95d.jpg

Thailand has enough evidence to sue Thaksin: general

SINGAPORE : Thailand has enough evidence to take legal action against former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, a key member of Thailand's military council said in an interview published Wednesday.

General Saprang Kalayanamitr also blamed Thaksin for friction between Thailand and Singapore, and expressed optimism that issues between the two nations can be resolved.

"At this point, we have enough evidence to file a lawsuit against Thaksin in court," Saprang said in an interview. "The punishment will be up to the court."

Saprang is assistant army commander and assistant secretary general of the Council for National Security.

"We believe that the investigation will yield results which will show the Thai people Thaksin's crimes," Saprang said.

Thaksin, a billionaire businessman, has been in exile since the coup and has denied the allegations against him.

His ouster marked the culmination of a crisis partly triggered by the controversial Singaporean takeover of a major conglomerate from his family.

Singapore's Temasek Holdings bought the Thaksin family's 49 percent stake in telecom giant Shin Corp for nearly US$1.9b early last year.

After a mandatory tender offer, Temasek ended up with 96 percent of Shin Corp's shares.

Tensions between Singapore and Thailand escalated over the past month after a visit by Thaksin to the city-state, during which he met with a top government official.

After the visit, military council chief Sonthi Boonyaratglin voiced fears that Singapore would use satellites operated by a unit of Shin Corp to spy on Thailand.

Sonthi said Tuesday that Thailand wants to buy back Shin Satellite but insisted the military would not seize the company.

Thailand's biggest mobile phone operator Advanced Info Service (AIS) is also a subsidiary of Shin Corp.

"If the telecommunication business in in private hands, it won't be safe for the country," Saprang said.

He said "misunderstandings" between Singapore and Thailand have come about because of Thaksin's business dealings.

"I think this can be resolved. Thailand and Singapore have a long diplomatic relationship... The problem can be resolved fairly," he said.

"This business conflict can be resolved and won't blow up because the problem is not Singapore, but Thaksin."

- AFP

phpbxQ95d.jpg

SINGAPORE : Thailand has enough evidence to take legal action against former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, a key member of Thailand's military council said in an interview published Wednesday.

General Saprang Kalayanamitr also blamed Thaksin for friction between Thailand and Singapore, and expressed optimism that issues between the two nations can be resolved.

"At this point, we have enough evidence to file a lawsuit against Thaksin in court," Saprang said in an interview. "The punishment will be up to the court."

Saprang is assistant army commander and assistant secretary general of the Council for National Security.

"We believe that the investigation will yield results which will show the Thai people Thaksin's crimes," Saprang said.

Thaksin, a billionaire businessman, has been in exile since the coup and has denied the allegations against him.

His ouster marked the culmination of a crisis partly triggered by the controversial Singaporean takeover of a major conglomerate from his family.

Singapore's Temasek Holdings bought the Thaksin family's 49 percent stake in telecom giant Shin Corp for nearly US$1.9b early last year.

After a mandatory tender offer, Temasek ended up with 96 percent of Shin Corp's shares.

Tensions between Singapore and Thailand escalated over the past month after a visit by Thaksin to the city-state, during which he met with a top government official.

After the visit, military council chief Sonthi Boonyaratglin voiced fears that Singapore would use satellites operated by a unit of Shin Corp to spy on Thailand.

Sonthi said Tuesday that Thailand wants to buy back Shin Satellite but insisted the military would not seize the company.

Thailand's biggest mobile phone operator Advanced Info Service (AIS) is also a subsidiary of Shin Corp.

"If the telecommunication business in in private hands, it won't be safe for the country," Saprang said.

He said "misunderstandings" between Singapore and Thailand have come about because of Thaksin's business dealings.

"I think this can be resolved. Thailand and Singapore have a long diplomatic relationship... The problem can be resolved fairly," he said.

"This business conflict can be resolved and won't blow up because the problem is not Singapore, but Thaksin."

- AFP

Normally, when you say that you have enough evidence to prosecute, you, er, prosecute, rather than talk about it!! I presume our erstwhile General was first in the line outside Court this morning?? :o

Edited by bkkandrew

Your repost helpfully demonstrates my point. Thank you...

To be honest, a farang kee nok whose life revolves around bars and working girls in Thailand is probably a lot closer to Walter Mitty than Thais who want to protect their country.

:o

and to be even further honest, the dumbest farang kee nok in Pattaya is anyway by far smarter of someone capable of thinking and speaking "in spite the fact Singapore has few arable land, they are so rich they bought our satellites"

When you have individuals in charge who only know how to make money through a feudal agrarian existance then you tend to get stupid comments like this. He missed the last 150+ years of development and technology.

phpbxQ95d.jpg

- AFP

There is a very friendly interview with Saprang in todays Straits Times where he says this also - he also blames all the Thailand-singapore woes at Thaksins door.

There is a very friendly interview with Saprang in todays Straits Times where he says this also - he also blames all the Thailand-singapore woes at Thaksins door.

Of course they conveniently gloss over the generally mean spirited and diplomatically hostile comments thrown at Singapore from the Thai media, unelected CNS officials, and various pundits. It's all Thaksin's fault..uh huh sure.

Of course they conveniently gloss over the generally mean spirited and diplomatically hostile comments thrown at Singapore from the Thai media, unelected CNS officials, and various pundits. It's all Thaksin's fault..uh huh sure.

What was Thailand/Singapore's relationship like before Thaksin sold Shin to them?

Was it this tumultuous? :o

What was Thailand/Singapore's relationship like before Thaksin sold Shin to them?

Actually Singapore and Thailand have always had a grudging relationship. Thais feel a lot of envy at Singapore's development and wealth. The recent comments by unelected officials have only exacerbated these nationalistic/xenophobic tendencies. The Thaksin matter is just the usual thing to spark it off but I feel it was always there. Just look at Thailand's other childish spats with its neighbors, there's a long history of this stuff.

why are some of you so opposed to the thai army keeping the integrity of its communications system unbreeched?

what is wrong with that? do you expect thailand to just sit back and say, "Oh no problem we trust you...just make sure you dont dial into so and so channel...because thats our military channels with very confidential info."

im sure most of you would be equally disgruntled if the operator at your condo was listening in on your conversations.

hypnocrits

Actually Singapore and Thailand have always had a grudging relationship. Thais feel a lot of envy at Singapore's development and wealth. The recent comments by unelected officials have only exacerbated these nationalistic/xenophobic tendencies. The Thaksin matter is just the usual thing to spark it off but I feel it was always there. Just look at Thailand's other childish spats with its neighbors, there's a long history of this stuff.

I understand that Singapore has been a large investor in Thailand,way before all this <deleted> happened.

More reason for jealousy perhaps?

Actually Singapore and Thailand have always had a grudging relationship.

Really? For instance?

I have never recalled a discussion here where so many people are actually talking about the military abilities of the opposing countries in anticipation of a war.

What other incidents have "sparked it off" in the past?

While the "grudging relationship" was always there among the locals, I can't remember when the disagreements had elevated to open conflict at the government level. Still, it is a diplomatic disagreement and these normally blow over.

why are some of you so opposed to the thai army keeping the integrity of its communications system unbreeched?

what is wrong with that? do you expect thailand to just sit back and say, "Oh no problem we trust you...just make sure you dont dial into so and so channel...because thats our military channels with very confidential info."

im sure most of you would be equally disgruntled if the operator at your condo was listening in on your conversations.

hypnocrits

You still don't get it, do you "Clipped"...I think your mentality is at par with Sonthi and company.

I had spent much time and money in Thailand buying houses, cars etc etc etc for my Thai g/f, can someone or maybe "Clipped" can advise me how to get all back..... :o

I know - even some Thai colleagues were embarrassed about what was being said about Singapore up there.

The fact is down here its seen as a bit of a joke by all who comment on it - from taxi drivers to professional colleagues.

They are all too busy being "Kieasu" to worry about this ;-))

The questions put to Saprang by the Straits writer were hardly searching

Indonesia is getting in the act now banning sand exports - it might just be the politics of envy with all this.

I love Thailand and visit very often having lived there and married there before - just been in BKK for CNY and 5 days was enough now for me. I will be back later in the year but wil not be going half as much as i did before - too many daily frustrations.

Really? For instance?

I have never recalled a discussion here where so many people are actually talking about the military abilities of the opposing countries in anticipation of a war.

Do not understimate the football either - they are the only two teams to win the ASEAN Cup.

The singaporeans I know actually like Thailand and flights up there are often full - esp at holiday times. Its spoken of as a great place to visit and shop but some Taxi drivers will have you beleive its all pirates and thuggery if you tell them you are just back from there.

They say the same about Indonesia though without any redeeming factors.

You actually see a lot of people carrying their "King Power" duty free bags about to show they have been shopping there.

Really? For instance?

Do not understimate the football either - they are the only two teams to win the ASEAN Cup.

The singaporeans I know actually like Thailand and flights up there are often full - esp at holiday times. Its spoken of as a great place to visit and shop but some Taxi drivers will have you beleive its all pirates and thuggery if you tell them you are just back from there.

They say the same about Indonesia though without any redeeming factors.

You actually see a lot of people carrying their "King Power" duty free bags about to show they have been shopping there.

so then in regards to my question,... no, things have never been this tumultuous before Thaksin sold Shin to Singapore?

John

Rather than a massive post quoting all the rest - no - I have not seen it like this before.

Its usually Thailand and Cambodia, Burma or Laos at a push ;-))

Singapore against Malaysia and Indonesia

Temasek are quoted today as saying they will sell Shin Satellite at the right price - about 85 million USD at todays prices is quoted in The Straits Times today.

It still leaves them down though if they has to sell all Shin Corp shares as they are about half now what they paid for them

John

Rather than a massive post quoting all the rest - no - I have not seen it like this before.

Temasek are quoted today as saying they will sell Shin Satellite at the right price - about 85 million USD at todays prices is quoted in The Straits Times today.

It still leaves them down though if they has to sell all Shin Corp shares as they are about half now what they paid for them

oh ok. To sum up then, there IS a fair amount of credibility in laying a lot of the blame then on the current strife at Thaksin's door.

Thank you.

John

oh ok. To sum up then, there IS a fair amount of credibility in laying a lot of the blame then on the current strife at Thaksin's door.

Thank you.

I suppose it depends if you beleive that Thaksin had the right to sell Shin corp and the deal was legal.

We all know it was his but could he sell it to an overseas buyer?

As for Singapore listening in to comms - I think they would spy on economic interests rather than military if anything - after they are finished spying on their own people only though ;-))

Are Singapore and Thailand really economic rivals in the ame sectors?

Finance, BioTech and High Technology companies go to Singapore

Thailand has some very good manufacturing and engineering down the eastern seaboard

I do not think they are in the same markets really

To me its about blaming Thaksin for everything but its spilling over to spats with neighbours - just my opinion of course.

If they are being quoted all over saying they have evidence to charge Thaksin then they should do so - either corruption or for drug deaths or deaths in the South.

John

Thank you.

personally, I think - bottom line - the reason for the current situation between thailand, thaksin, and singapore is -

Thailand = Per Capita Income (2005) - 2,173 Euro / 2,750 US Dollars per year

Singapore = Per Capita Income (2005) - 21,726 Euro / 27,490 US Dollars per year

http://www.searchenginecolossus.com/Thailand.html

...this whole thing really doesn't have anything to do with thaksin selling shin to singapore.

the common people in thailand are just frustrated that they are not keeping up with their neighbor. and can't figure out why? they work hard. many even work 12 hour days. yet why are they not making more money?

the answer? ..2 reasons.

1) thailand didn't emphasize education enough in the past 4 decades.

2) thailand didn't emphasize the importance of english enough.

from what I read in bangkokpost, only 20% of all thais have a high school education or above. and as for the english language, thais can't compare to singaporeans or even india.

so, basically, if you can't attract foreign investors who use the english language as their media, and don't have the education to work with them, where did you expect to be in the future???? foreign investors is where the money is. where the technology is.

have you thought about it? ..all the programming languages are in english. most of the technology is in english. you really need to know english if you want to keep up.

but it is not too late.. thailand just needs to get off their butt, and change their priorities. ..like singapore, india, and even china did.

I think this is the same reason for the turmoil down south. the muslims down south torched all the non-muslim schools because they are pissed off with studying all these years, and cannot get a job after doing so. in their eyes - WHAT's THE POINT??? their rage is so great, they don't want anything to do with thailand especially after being ignored for so long.

the people who need to step up to the plate now are the rich people. the rich thais. they have to realize that the only way for their future generations to survive is to bring the poor up to their level. this means - education on a serious level. no more bribes to get good grades.

frankly though, if you read my previous postings, you all know how I feel about jobs going away from usa. but I am somewhat surrendering to globalization for now. (not that I could do anything anyway.) I am also worried about the future in regards to global warming. but hey - you can't live forever.

I am just grateful that I have food on the table, and a place to sleep. one of the lucky ones.

Edited by nick2k

Yep,you are bang on correct nick2k.English and good education(and an honest business platform with no graft) would throw this country to the forfront in Asia.not so many years ago,Singapore was just like any other asian country.now look at them.

Edited by chuchok

John

Thank you.

I suppose it depends if you beleive that Thaksin had the right to sell Shin corp and the deal was legal.

As for Singapore listening in to comms - I think they would spy on economic interests rather than military if anything - after they are finished spying on their own people only though ;-))

Thailand has some very good manufacturing and engineering down the eastern seaboard

To me its about blaming Thaksin for everything but its spilling over to spats with neighbours - just my opinion of course.

If they are being quoted all over saying they have evidence to charge Thaksin then they should do so - either corruption or for drug deaths or deaths in the South.

With 13 different investigations, I think they will. I also believe that historically these sort of investigations and prosecuting them take time... more often than not, much more time than the few months they've been in place.

I think Thaksin dominated so many aspects of the entire socio-economic arena, that it's only natural that when attempts are made to rectify different issues, it would follow that Thaksin's name would undoubtedly come up again and again.

Edited by sriracha john

hypnocrits

You still don't get it, do you "Clipped"...I think your mentality is at par with Sonthi and company.

I had spent much time and money in Thailand buying houses, cars etc etc etc for my Thai g/f, can someone or maybe "Clipped" can advise me how to get all back..... :o

to compare the purchase of a house and car which you probably bought for a girl of questionable character....is a pale comparison to the importance of a national satellite system which is of utmost importance to national security...

"Clipped" is the slang for a distorted waveform with a square plateau....so yes i know a thing or two about communications...i know even more about buying a house or car for a girl that is suspect...

check yourself

Edited by Clipped

John

Thank you.

With 13 different investigations, I think they will. I also believe that historically these sort of investigations and prosecuting them take time... more often than not, much more time than the few months they've been in place.

One would hope that when its army shreds the constitution of a country and assumes the reins of power, the evidence is so overwhelming as to provide them with a 'slam dunk'- and we know that even 'slam-dunks' can turn out to be nothing more than rumor. And hoax.

dont forget thaksin was the one that initiated the REWRITING of the ORIGINAL constitution as well as codes having to do with commerce.... :o

He and his government passed laws. That's what legislation means: the passing or changing of laws. But when did he rewrite the constitution?