Van driver arrested for Chumphon death

snoop1130

Van driver arrested for Chumphon death

By The Nation

aHR0cHM6Ly9zLmlzYW5vb2suY29tL25zLzAvdWQvMTUxNS83NTc2NTc0L3N2YWR2c2QuanBn.jpg

The driver of a van transporting instruments for the band Maleehuana was arrested for fatally hitting a cyclist on a Chumphon road.

The driver arrested in Chumphon's Pathiew district, about 40 kilometres from the scene of the accident in Tha Sae district.

Winai Khemsikham, 63, claimed that he thought his van only grazed the bicycle.

The victim, Sgt Phaisarn Phetpiroon, 59, was a retired soldier from the Chumphon-based 44th Army Circle, who was on a morning exercise ride. He died of severe head injuries and multiple broken bones at the scene.

Winai said he was driving from a Surat Thani concert to a northeastern province. He claimed the cyclist tried to cross the road in front of his van so he could not stop in time.

The damaged front bumper had blood marks, according to police.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30358534

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-11-14

27 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

Winai Khemsikham, 63, claimed that he thought his van only grazed the bicycle.

I'm guessing it means grazing the cyclist. However, he still didn't stop to see it he had hurt the cyclist. The driver just carried on in the hope he would get away with it. Fortunately he didn't.

Hit and run is so common here.

I was hit on my motorbike in Udon about 12 years ago. Another motorcyclist hit me and knocked me into the next lane where I was run over by a pickup.

I was reported to the police as a fatality, not a casualty, by a passer-by who witnessed what happened. In hospital for weeks. Neither of the other vehicles stopped.

24 minutes ago, 1duckyboy said:

Look at the damage (shattered windscreen and headlight, dented front, missing mirror, holed bumper) to the van and tell me the cyclist was "grazed".

Lol...but admitting  he "grazed the bicycle" is actually a promising sign.  Evolution is possible......  Probable?  The jury is still out, but definitely possible.

5 hours ago, CanuckThai said:

Lol...but admitting  he "grazed the bicycle" is actually a promising sign.  Evolution is possible......  Probable?  The jury is still out, but definitely possible.

But then he goes on to say that the cyclist crossed in front of him, so no responsibility accepted.

I'm no crash expert but it's hard to believe from the damage that he hit the bike side-on

Archived