where to fly quick trip, somewhere different?

steve2112

i have to do a visa trip and of the month and want to fly so i get a 30 day on return. any suggestions about a cheap quick flight from phuket to some place a bit different? i.e. not malaysia, singapore or bali?

also going with wife so no visa requirement for thai

thanks

Depends on what "quick" means.

Ho Chi Minh City ("Saigon")?

What nationality are you?

UK (British!) is visa exempt. USA not (eVisa).

Siem Reap, four flights weekly.

If you plan a same day return (?) I don't see much choice except from the ones you don't want.

Bali is out of reach anyway. No nonstop from Phuket.

My first suggestion would have been Ho Chi Minh City - Vietnam, flying with Vietjet, however, as KhunBENQ has said, you have ruled out the easy, cheap, quick, and visa free places for yourself, and your Thai wife. 

You rule out Malaysia, but with a choice of Kuala Lumpur and Penang, with a quick visit to Langkawi out of penang, maybe you haven't been to all three of these places in Malaysia.

Another suggestion may be Phuket to Udon Thani with Air Asia, and then the bus across Friendship Bridge into Vientiane - Laos.  Laos is visa on arrival for you, but as it is overland, you only receive 15 days, so not sure this meets your requirements, unless you arrange a 60 day visa at the Thai Embassy there.

What visa are you on?  I gather you are aware you can pay to extend without leaving, but obviously you can not extend an extension.

4 hours ago, NamKangMan said:

Laos is visa on arrival for you, but as it is overland, you only receive 15 days

If you refer to Thai immigration this 15 day limitation is long gone (since years).

As a UK citizen he gets 30 days also at land borders.

25 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

If you refer to Thai immigration this 15 day limitation is long gone (since years).

As a UK citizen he gets 30 days also at land borders.

I'll take your word for it KB.  I haven't done an overland visa run since my first, and last, white knuckle ride in a minivan.  Never again. 

Given is back to 30 days for an overland crossing, this could be another option for the OP.

4 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

Isn't there direct flights to India now, or yet to start?

Not yet as far as I can see.

And a very restrictive visa policy.

Neither visa free for Thais nor for UK citizens.

eVisa very expensive.

Hardly a destination for a quick visa/border run.

As per phuketrichard and beechbum, Myanmar is a good choice, but its via either DMK or BKK

You both just reminded me to see if Myanmar National Airways/MNA/UB will restart the direct HKT-RGN flights again this high season (suspended June), or if Bangkok Airways will reinstate their plan to fly to Yangon direct also. 

Bangkok Airways/PG were originally due to start yesterday (Nov 17th) but withdrew the schedule in September as they didn't get the route permit.

MNA still shows Phuket as an option on their booking site, but there are no flights available through end of the year

Since you can get 30 days without needing to fly in, I would recommend a quick boat trip to Myanmar from Ranong. Assuming you don't have a car, rent one (or take your chances with the lunatic minibuses) and enjoy a nice drive. There are some nice places to visit along the way. I personally think it's the cheapest and easiest visa run possible from Phuket.

Archived