Cheap monthly rentals a bit outside of the city?

FMFK86

I am looking for a place to rent on a month-to-month basis, ~4k-8k baht. I would love to exchange a good location for a bit more space in the room, does anyone have a tip for me? I have a bike so hopping on the super highway for 15-20 minutes is not a problem. Almost every place I see advertised is right in the city center like nimmen, santitam, old city etc... I don't speak Thai which makes finding alternatives kinda hard.

Thanks

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to mention them but there's a couple of big real estate agents in CM with listings in English on the internet. 

Oddly enough if you're looking for more space look at houses - condos relative to housing here is more expensive, I can only presume it's due to demand. You could easily pick up a small house somewhere like San Sai or even a bit closer for well under 10k. 

if you march into the local villages anywhere 10 minutes out of the moat everyone is renting houses for 3k-7k a month.

its great if you want to rent, but if you want to start renovating to rent out, theres no way I would entertain an income of 4k a month for even the smallest outlay in the prettiest villages.

first step is to find a village that you like then open your mouth and start asking...there will always be somewhere but of course villagers don't advertise, they don't have computers and internet savvy

As a number of TVF posters have learned..one Moto crash will wipe out years of living on the outskirts.  The older buildings have the larger studios...but don't expect a double room to be at a single price.  You could probably get close to 40 sm for about 4000, and you can expect some tradeoffs.  Dogs, air conditioning, garbage, idiots blocking the exit with their motorbikes, hot water.....all come into play...and some nice sewer gas served with it.

Month to month rentals, for a house?  That arrangement won't be available for 5K baht/month. I've got a nice house, totally unfurnished, in a quiet village next to a rice field for 5K baht/month, paid yearly in advance, which includes one month free rent.

Condos, hotels, etc for one month...???

The best rental places are never advertised on the Internet.

You are so right - the “retirement” place opposite our house in Doi Saket has now been fully rented out and they have just starting building it!!
I asked the owner how he managed to do that and he just said “word of mouth” - privacy, quite, amazing views, only a few units, brand new, pool, jacuzzi, bar restaurant very reasonably priced - did not need to advertise.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Go south on the Chiang Mai - Lamphun road until you get past Saraphi and into Lamphun province.  You should be able to find apartments and houses for rent off the that road.  The plus?  If you live in Lamphun, you report to Lamphun immigration and don't have to hassle with the headache at the airport.  If you live between Saraphi and Lamphun, or in Lamphun city, you'll have about 20+ minute drive to get into Chiang Mai proper.  They also have the Blue Songtaews and Air-con buses that run between Lamphun city and Chiang Mai on the Chiang Mai - Lamphun Road.
Don't speak Thai?  Meet a Thai friend.  Or hire a Thai driver for a day or two then go exploring.  Buy Thai For Beginners and start getting a handle on the language.  I've been living in the Thai community for 12 years.  I've no regrets.  It's been interesting.  You don't need to be fluent, but you need to get your foot in the door.  Nothing ventured, nothing gained.  Getting out of your comfort zone is rewarding!  :thumbsup:

10 hours ago, connda said:

Go south on the Chiang Mai - Lamphun road until you get past Saraphi and into Lamphun province.  You should be able to find apartments and houses for rent off the that road.  The plus?  If you live in Lamphun, you report to Lamphun immigration and don't have to hassle with the headache at the airport.  If you live between Saraphi and Lamphun, or in Lamphun city, you'll have about 20+ minute drive to get into Chiang Mai proper.  They also have the Blue Songtaews and Air-con buses that run between Lamphun city and Chiang Mai on the Chiang Mai - Lamphun Road.
Don't speak Thai?  Meet a Thai friend.  Or hire a Thai driver for a day or two then go exploring.  Buy Thai For Beginners and start getting a handle on the language.  I've been living in the Thai community for 12 years.  I've no regrets.  It's been interesting.  You don't need to be fluent, but you need to get your foot in the door.  Nothing ventured, nothing gained.  Getting out of your comfort zone is rewarding!  :thumbsup:

Life begins when u get out of your comfort zone!   Any links to these rentals?  id be up to look

Archived