What's about the violence in Thailand nowadays

Ludmyla

38 minutes ago, Ludmyla said:

I mean, all the types of violence.

With woman, mens, gays, lesbians, murders, beatings, thefts.

All these types of things.

If you studied a bit more, you would know it isn't allowed to post the same topic several times.

Edited by FritsSikkink

55 minutes ago, Ludmyla said:

And what did you found? Why do you think it is like that? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jonwilly said:

Considerably less than my old country UK. In the 17 years I have lived here and the previous 20 years I came as a visitor I have never been threatened by a Thai only by other Frangs.

john

Yes, agreed.

I've met mostly aggressive and egoistic Americans in Thailand who think that they are above others in terms of selfish needs, than aggressive Thai themselves

Edited by EricTh
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Ludmyla said:

Gays and lesbians are part of Thai culture. There are hardly any violence against them.

There are many Thai 'women' who are actually guys whereas these would be considered a crime in Muslim countries like Malaysia.

• Sad 1

Domestic violence is a problem here. It’s also an issue between school children in certain areas. As far as foreigners and violence, if you avoid bars, booze, and cheap women, you’ll be ok unless it’s literally dumb luck or you’re a complete tosser.

• Like 1

On 11/17/2018 at 8:36 AM, EricTh said:

Yes, agreed.

I've met mostly aggressive and egoistic Americans in Thailand who think that they are above others in terms of selfish needs, than aggressive Thai themselves

And what's your view on Russians?  :wink:

You can go back and view years of domestic Thailand news articles here on Thaivisa and start searching for all the 'key words' that indicate violence.  You'll find thousands of examples that you could than organize and classify according to type:

Male on female domestic violence

Female on male domestic violence

Thai on foreigner assaults and battery, often group attacks on individuals

Thai on Thai assaults and battery, often group attacks on individuals

Thai business assaults on foreigners, often bill related after gross over-charging such as in Karaoke bars

Thai business scams assaults on foreigners, often related to things like jet ski scams

Foreigner on foreigner assaults and battery

Robberies

Injuries do to motorcycle purse snatches

Thai driver road rage incidents, often involving knives, machetes, clubs, or guns
Thai driver road rage where elderly are beaten something beaten to death

Elderly abuse

Rape
Isolated cases of drunken or yaba induced rages leading to attacks on anybody around

Isolated cases of crazy people simply going off the rails and committing indiscriminate violence
Paid for 'hits' on enemies

Mafia 'hits' on enemies

Violence based on taxi, tuk tuk, and bus turf-wars

I could keep going, but you said you wanted to research?  The data is out there.  Research!  Have fun.

One other thing.  Most people live in their own personal bubbles.  If something doesn't effect them personally, then it doesn't exist.
Joe Farang lives in gated Farangland, doesn't drive, gets around the city using Grab, associates primarily with other foreigners, is a teetotaler and doesn't get around the bar scene, shops primarily at the malls, has never really immersed into the Thai community, and then says that he's never encountered 'violence' in Thailand, therefore Thailand is a pretty safe place with very little violence.  Fair enough subjectively.
In order to research any issue, such as violence, you need to dig into actual data, information, and statistics.  Subjective inquiry is, well, subjective.  You have to look at the whole.  You have to look outside your own and other people's 'bubbles'.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/17/2018 at 1:34 AM, Ludmyla said:

you started this thread, are you going to join in, or just observe the replies.....

part of the problem or part of the solution?

On 11/17/2018 at 1:35 AM, jonwilly said:

Considerably less than my old country UK. In the 17 years I have lived here and the previous 20 years I came as a visitor I have never been threatened by a Thai only by other Frangs.

john

No problem to get in trouble with other western nutheads if thats what you want or seek. Never had any trouble travelling Asia for 20 years! I have seen robberies, beat downs, raging barladies and ladyboys, som nasty car and motorbike accidents, but so far all good by me. I could have been in to trouble if I wanted, but I do not waste energy on stupid things. Better to go to gym and boxing to get the frustration out! 

On 11/17/2018 at 7:35 AM, jonwilly said:

john

Agree.  Chiang Mai is much safer than any big city, USA.  Not even close. 

On 11/18/2018 at 12:19 PM, CALSinCM said:

Joe Farang lives in gated Farangland, doesn't drive, gets around the city using Grab, associates primarily with other foreigners, is a teetotaler and doesn't get around the bar scene, shops primarily at the malls, has never really immersed into the Thai community, and then says that he's never encountered 'violence' in Thailand, therefore Thailand is a pretty safe place with very little violence.  Fair enough subjectively.

Well as an aggressive and egotisitcal American living in a Thai area, getting around by shanks mare and public transport, with an occasional puke spewing bender from too many Samsongs in lowlife pervert bars,  who shops in street markets, who doesnt speak more than pidgen English for weeks at a time, I would say that Thailand is not particularly violent.

But thats subjective. I will roll out later and look for some aggressive and egotistical Americans and ask them if they have gotten beaten up at Subway on Sukhumvit Soi 6 for repeating endlessly "yoooo speeekee Ing-lish?"

On 11/17/2018 at 12:35 AM, jonwilly said:

In the 17 years I have lived here and the previous 20 years I came as a visitor I have never been threatened by a Thai

Perhaps you should get out more. Some of these guys can get really nuts after a drinking session.

• Like 1