Non I-o Visa Extension

I have a friend in the U S who has applied for his Non-I-O visa in Denver and will probably recieve it in a week or so. He is qualified in every way. I have just one question, if anyone knows for sure.

He is going to have way more than enough monthly income to qualify for the extension, when the time comes to apply, but he's worried about the new 90 day rule concerning having to have money in the bank acct. at least ninety days before time for the extension, and how much he's going to need to satisfy them.

I just applied, and was successful, for my second extension just five days ago. I'm grandfathered in and it didn't apply to me too much, and she just glanced at my passbook, as well as the copy of my letter from the Americanb Embassy, and breezed right on through the process, seamlessly. I did not need a medical certificate, and Bangkok Bank only charged me 100 baht for the bank letter, instead of the 200 baht last year. The only other change was that I had to go back the next day, at 10 A.M., to pick up my passport, and visa, but she told me I didn't have to get a number, or wait, but to just come to her desk and she would give it to me. Last year I did it all in one day, in less than an hour. This was at the Pattaya Immigration, on soi 5, in Jomtien.

If he's over qualified with the monthly income, how much importance do they put on the bank account, and if he opens the account the day he gets here, he will probably be a couple days short of the 90 days. Any ideas, or speculation...? Thanks, Ernie

There should not be any 3 month bank requirement as that is not what he will be using. A bank account passbook/copies and bank letter should take care of that - the interest will be on the Embassy letter/proof of retirement to meet the 65k requirement.

There should not be any 3 month bank requirement as that is not what he will be using. A bank account passbook/copies and bank letter should take care of that - the interest will be on the Embassy letter/proof of retirement to meet the 65k requirement.

Thanks Lop. As usual, you're there for all of us.

Those were my thoughts exactly, but was nice to hear it from you. I will email him immediately and try to ease his mind. Thanks again...Ernie

I keep seeing mixed signals about the need for a letter from a bank. Some posts say you only need a letter from the Embassy stating income in excess of 65k per month. With that no letter is required from the bank. Then again other posts say you need both. What is the real requirement? I read the rules to say verification of income of over 65k baht letter from the Embassy, or letter from bank indicating 800,000 deposit for 90 days, or a combination of the two that will equal the 800,000.

If I read that correctly then all you need is a letter from the Embassy stating your income is in excess of the required 65k per month and with that no letter from bank is required.

Who really knows? perhaps Sunbelt??

I keep seeing mixed signals about the need for a letter from a bank. Some posts say you only need a letter from the Embassy stating income in excess of 65k per month. With that no letter is required from the bank. Then again other posts say you need both. What is the real requirement? I read the rules to say verification of income of over 65k baht letter from the Embassy, or letter from bank indicating 800,000 deposit for 90 days, or a combination of the two that will equal the 800,000.

If I read that correctly then all you need is a letter from the Embassy stating your income is in excess of the required 65k per month and with that no letter from bank is required.

Who really knows? perhaps Sunbelt??

Copies of your bank book AND a letter of the bank stating your last balance of account (which should match the last entry you copy of your bank book) are always required wether you go the Embassy letter or the money in the bank or a combination of both routes.

Edited by Krub