• Latest posts...

1. 0

Passenger Van Crashes into 18-Wheeler Truck, Passengers Injured

2. 8

Thailand Live Monday 14 October 2024

3. 304

Israel Hamas War the Widening Middle East Conflict

4. 0

Over 200 Vehicles Damaged After Municipality Resurfaces Road Without Warning Signs

5. 8

6. 304

7. 0

Newborn Survives After Being Abandoned in Long Grass: Phetchabun

8. 304

9. 8

10. 1

Nonthaburi: Man Caught on CCTV Stealing Sandals for Sexual Gratification

11. 0

Forklift Driver Crushed by One Ton of Steel Bars in Suphanburi

12. 8

13. 1

Advice on supporting family please

14. 1

Nonthaburi: Man Caught on CCTV Stealing Sandals for Sexual Gratification

Crime menaces migrants on Mexico border as Tijuana declares crisis

rooster59

Crime menaces migrants on Mexico border as Tijuana declares crisis

By Lizbeth Diaz

800x800 (4).jpg

Migrants, part of a caravan of thousands from Central America trying to reach the United States, rest in a temporary shelter in Tijuana, Mexico, November 22, 2018. REUTERS/Hannah McKay

TIJUANA, Mexico (Reuters) - Unaccompanied minors and other vulnerable migrants risk falling victim to crime in the Mexican border city of Tijuana, where thousands of Central Americans from caravans may be stuck for months as authorities tighten up asylum rules, advocates say.

Some 4,600 migrants from the bedraggled caravans whose advance has angered U.S. President Donald Trump are camped out with blankets and little food in an overcrowded stadium in Tijuana, whose mayor has declared a "humanitarian crisis."

Trump has sent troops to the U.S.-Mexico border, authorized the use of lethal force and threatened to shut down the frontier entirely if the migrant caravans are not stopped.

Among the Central Americans, many of whom are Hondurans fleeing violence and poverty in the struggling region, are about 80 minors between the ages of 10 and 17, according to migrants rights groups.

Josue, a 15-year-old Honduran in Tijuana, said that during a previous attempt to cross into the United States last year he was kidnapped and badly beaten in Mexico by drug traffickers claiming to be from the notorious Zetas gang.

"I ended up in the hospital, I don't know how, because I arrived there half-dead," he said, declining to give his second name.

Once he was well enough, authorities deported him, he said.

Reuters was not able to independently corroborate details of his story. Mexico's immigration institute did not immediately respond to a request for comment about the case.

Tijuana was rated by Mexican think tank Seguridad Justicia y Paz as the fifth most violent city in the world in 2017, with a higher murder rate than the Central American cities from which the migrants are escaping.

Juan Manuel Gastelum, Tijuana's mayor, said late on Thursday that the city was facing a humanitarian crisis and that supporting the migrants was costing more than 500,000 pesos ($25,000) a day. He urged international agencies to help Tijuana.

WAITING LIST

Activists fear the Central Americans could be stranded for a long time in the city, where some protests against the presence of the caravan have broken out.

In May, citing a lack of processing space at the same crossing, U.S. immigration officials stalled a previous caravan that also drew Trump's anger. Eventually, they began letting in a trickle of people from the group.

To manage flows of asylum claimants, Mexican and U.S. authorities have in recent years maintained a waiting list.

Lawyers and human rights group Amnesty International have said such measures slow the process.

U.S. Customs and Border Protection said in a statement sent to Reuters that the San Ysidro Port of Entry, which connects Tijuana to San Diego in California, could process up to 100 people per day and that it was working with Mexico to manage the flow.

Mexico's National Immigration Institute said it protects the rights of all foreigners and was "respectful of immigration policy implemented by other countries."

Stalled for days, migrants from the caravan have been signing onto the waiting list. They include gay and transgender teenagers.

Erika Pinheiro, director of litigation at Al Otro Lado, an immigration legal advocacy group, last week told a Californian court under oath that "LGBT children cannot safely stay in Mexico. They are at risk of violence and persecution."

Tijuana has just one shelter for migrant children, which subsists with the help of civic organizations.

"Young people are definitely the most vulnerable in this type of movement," said Mynor Contreras, who runs the local YMCA. "We've never received so many in such a short time."

If the children cannot enter the United States, they risk being deported from Mexico. That can spell big trouble.

"I don't want to die," said 16-year-old Justin, who related how his life was threatened last month for not paying a "war tax" that gangsters charged for his small used-clothing business in the Honduran city of San Pedro Sula. "That day I told my mother to give me her blessing and I left," he said, crying.

($1 = 20.3925 Mexican pesos)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-11-24

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Again, gentle readers, notice the adhominems.

But, my friend whose screen name indicates nothing, I am an American as apple pie, the the third generation son of folks who were forced to flee actual persecution in the 1880s.

They followed the rules as they were then and there existing. Great Grandpappy worked as an unskilled laborer by day, learned English at night, his son went to college in the US.

So I sympathize with those who seek a better life than they have in their sh**hole countries. If their countries werent sh**holes they wouldnt want to leave. If America was so bad, so racist and fascist, they wouldnt want to be here. But we all know, do we not, that they are trying to take advantage of a dysfunctional system. They know that once they cross the border, they are here no matter how specious their claim to asylum is.

I dont beleive that the American people want that. You may differ, but aren't an American Does your country want to take them in? Got any immigrant problems there?

Merely blaming President Trump is intellectually lazy. That shows what a political football this is. 

Perhaps Tom Steyer could take some of the millions he spends on Billboards calling for impeachment and offer to sponsor every one of these folks being used as pawns. 

Now feel free to again join the chorus of insults so prevalent here.

So says one 'genuine' descendent of an immigrant to other 'fake' immigrants. "I'm all right Jack - stuff the rest of you! You don't deserve the legal status accorded to me."

There. I just felt 'free!'

• Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Credo said:

The US has laws on asylum.

You use the USA and law in the same sentence ?

The Land of the Free and the Home of the Brave ?

https://eand.co/is-america-undergoing-a-fascist-collapse-f08c1e297e34

Been going on for years - especially ever since a President had - on his desk - a plaque saying "The Business of America is Business"

From then on the dollar reigned supreme, and human rights - especially people of color, took a very distant second place. Like near Pluto second place

Edited by canthai55
  • Sad 1

36 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

You use the USA and law in the same sentence ?

The Land of the Free and the Home of the Brave ?

https://eand.co/is-america-undergoing-a-fascist-collapse-f08c1e297e34

Been going on for years - especially ever since a President had - on his desk - a plaque saying "The Business of America is Business"

From then on the dollar reigned supreme, and human rights - especially people of color, took a very distant second place. Like near Pluto second place

Don't be confused by some of the posters here who support fascist tactics against asylum seekers.  There are people, and plenty of them, that are working hard to prevent the complete disregard of the Constitution and of the laws.   

The asylum seekers have been labeled as everything from potential terrorists (you know, the Middle Eastern men hiding in the middle that seemed to disappear) to an invading force.   They are none of these.   What is occurring is a humanitarian crisis.   

We'll see how far he gets, but in the meantime there is one thing that he, and many of those on this forum, don't care about and that is the people affected by this.   

They have every right to apply for asylum.   That doesn't mean they get it, but they have the right to apply.   

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Credo said:

There are people, and plenty of them, that are working hard to prevent the complete disregard of the Constitution and of the laws.   

They have every right to apply for asylum.   That doesn't mean they get it, but they have the right to apply.  

Agree 100%. Lived next door to the USA my whole life - (until here) Great people. wonderful country.

But since the FAR FAR Right has taken power, human rights have taken a back seat - back of the bus, last row seat.

And very worrisome the complete lack of regard for the laws in the country.

Had great hopes for the UN when it was formed, as a global watchdog to curb abuses and protect all mankind.

Sadly, another dream fallen under the wheels of corporate greed.

• Like 1

this is not about president trump but illegals abusing the rules, if they get shot and what, they have been warned, thus feel the consequence. message is no low class immigration wanted.

thereto, us and mexico reached an accord how to treat illelegal wannabes now in order to relieve us society of illegal social burden like ms13.

now look democratic  hillary witch creeps out of her political coffin .....telling the public europe would need to send a strong message to reduce migration what a democratic hypocrite for she wants to be president 2020, 555555

even worse merkel is responsible for trumpies election not russia, heard that mueller you need to investigate merkel collusion, what a brilliant rubbish.

wbr

roobaa01

2 hours ago, canthai55 said:

Agree 100%. Lived next door to the USA my whole life - (until here) Great people. wonderful country.

But since the FAR FAR Right has taken power, human rights have taken a back seat - back of the bus, last row seat.

And very worrisome the complete lack of regard for the laws in the country.

Had great hopes for the UN when it was formed, as a global watchdog to curb abuses and protect all mankind.

Sadly, another dream fallen under the wheels of corporate greed.

I'm not the far far right! I'm a American nationalist  that holds a Independent voting status!I'm all for curbing immigration to a trickle, charity begins at home! 

Those people that crashed there way through Mexico were given false hope of a better life in the USA! Now for the first time it seems this large force is stymied,it will give my government a time to weed out the real genuine asylum seekers . 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, roobaa01 said:

to relieve us society of illegal social burden like ms13

Which started in LA, USA

Chickens coming home to roost methinks ? Why - one reason ...

The War on Drugs - started by who ???

The migrants attempting to escape violence, political repression, lack of food, water, lack of most everything are the people in TJ.

Try to help them ? Oh no, send in the Army

7 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

So in your view white people cannot have a view on rascism,only people of colour count? The only folks who are valid to discuss antseitism are Jewish. Sexism. Women. If I'm a black man only MY opinion counts, right?

Unless you are there, having these things done to you daily, you can never truly know. You may think you do, but that is an illusion.

Ask someone of color, Black in Southern USA or a Palestinian in Gaza. See if your opinion matches theirs. For sure your experience will not.

Last border that leaked was Mexico's. US won't let them offload the result of their inaction to them so it's up to them to sort out their mess and border control. Even the languid EU seems to finally have come into some sense about border control. Protect the first border and have them camp near there to wait.

On 11/25/2018 at 1:39 PM, riclag said:

I'm not the far far right! I'm a American nationalist  that holds a Independent voting status!I'm all for curbing immigration to a trickle, charity begins at home! 

Those people that crashed there way through Mexico were given false hope of a better life in the USA! Now for the first time it seems this large force is stymied,it will give my government a time to weed out the real genuine asylum seekers . 

Yes who cannot recall despite your general support, the fact that you have voiced so many trenchant criticisms  of Donald Trump. Truly you are an inspiration to independents everywhere.

3 hours ago, DrTuner said:

Last border that leaked was Mexico's. US won't let them offload the result of their inaction to them so it's up to them to sort out their mess and border control. Even the languid EU seems to finally have come into some sense about border control. Protect the first border and have them camp near there to wait.

You might be right! But what just happen recently at the US border in Tijuana was actually a very  brilliant tactical move on what seems to be a coordinating effort by Mexican and USA border authorities to weed out the criminals and deport them from Mexico ,back to their country!The border crashing force was all caught on camera ,upon retreat, they where mostly all apprehended for attempting to cross the border violently! 

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sdut-border-patrol-rock-throwing-san-ysidro-2013nov25-story.html

• Like 1

On 11/25/2018 at 3:44 AM, riclag said:

From the article "To manage flows of asylum claimants, Mexican and U.S. authorities have in recent years maintained a waiting list.

Lawyers and human rights group Amnesty International have said such measures slow the process."

They should of Many not all American's  

So you are pretty much illiterate, who would listen to you??