The week that was in Thailand news: Waging War on Lip Service

rooster59

Good post yet again.

I must add that some locals visit my residence in the boonies to collect used metal containers and plastic bottles of all sizes. For a few baht to my ever loving wife.

But you are correct in the overuse of all things plastic as bags and wrapping. Even when you suggest that you can do without it to the counter staff, it makes no difference, everything must be double wrapped including pre wrapped food.

On a vacation to Koh Samui last year, noticed a disturbance in central tourist area near a plastic polluted block of scrub. Locals were stamping on the heads of mini cobras that were coming out of the spare block of land.

I wish that pommy bloke had been there, maybe a few would have been spared. Even though I am not sure that so many cobras should be in built up tourist areas. Oh Well 

I don't understand because I'm not a native English speaker.

What is lip service? First I imagined it was some kind of Women make up trend or something and the shops were fighting each other for clients. But it looks like it's not that at all...

I do not understand even with Google's help.

Can anyone explain it without any irony or sarcasm, please?

I want to know so I need genuine detailed explanations.

Thank you for that

Edited by alexlm

1 hour ago, alexlm said:

What is lip service? First I imagined it was some kind of Women make up trend or something and the shops were fighting each other for clients. But it looks like it's not that at all...

Thank you for that

Lip service is seeming to go along with something when you intend to disregard it later. You promise to change an outcome but disregard it later on.

Politicians do this all the time. For instance all politicians make grand promises before an election. After they are elected, the promises they made are totally ignored. This is called "lip service" to the promise they made. (they make the promise moving their lips but never intended to  do the service)  ie, they are liars but as this seems harsh, it is called "lip service".

If you are taking the pease with this question, I am sure the moderators will enlighten you.

2 hours ago, alexlm said:

Thank you for that

Essentially, saying nice things about something/someone.  Sometimes it is used in a positive sense-- "The service was great at the restaurant; I've been paying them lip service"-- but also used (as here) in a negative sense-- a type of hypocrisy.  That is, he's talking about how great it is to save plastic but doesn't do it himself in practice.

4 minutes ago, Katia said:

Essentially, saying nice things about something/someone.  Sometimes it is used in a positive sense-- "The service was great at the restaurant; I've been paying them lip service"-- but also used (as here) in a negative sense-- a type of hypocrisy.  That is, he's talking about how great it is to save plastic but doesn't do it himself in practice.

I also tend to agree with you.  If you pay a respect to a food server and the food was average, you are making a falsehood, you are paying a "lip service"

An example of lip service

Speaking out accepting responsibility. Condemning the current situation. Accepting the need for change. Accepting change will be beneficial, claiming already working on solution for the good of all, as a priority. Stating anticipated change will bring the subject into line with international standards and agreements.

Subsequently failing to deliver any noticeable change

Edited by 473geo

We know about reusable bags at supermarkets, to re-enforce this a charge for bags is probably the best way to get the message across, then simply remove the thin plastic bags and supply only re-usable at a price, supply paper bags to hold fruit - but what about fish and meats?

The pouring of drinks into a plastic bag with ice may require a little more thought - for example

Certainly a return to glass bottles is surely another option - especially if there is a refundable charge for return

Interestingly our water supplier charges 10 baht for plastic bottles not returned!!

1 minute ago, 473geo said:

An example of lip service

Speaking out accepting responsibility. Condemning the current situation. Accepting the need for change. Accepting change will be beneficial, and already working on change for the good of all, as a priority. Stating anticipated change will bring the subject into line with international standards and agreements.

Subsequently failing to deliver any noticeable change

4 hours ago, Prissana Pescud said:

Good post yet again.

I must add that some locals visit my residence in the boonies to collect used metal containers and plastic bottles of all sizes. For a few baht to my ever loving wife.

But you are correct in the overuse of all things plastic as bags and wrapping. Even when you suggest that you can do without it to the counter staff, it makes no difference, everything must be double wrapped including pre wrapped food.

On a vacation to Koh Samui last year, noticed a disturbance in central tourist area near a plastic polluted block of scrub. Locals were stamping on the heads of mini cobras that were coming out of the spare block of land.

I wish that pommy bloke had been there, maybe a few would have been spared. Even though I am not sure that so many cobras should be in built up tourist areas. Oh Well 

Please give up on "lip service" and do something about the overuse of all plastics in Thailand. 

4 minutes ago, 473geo said:

We know about reusable bags at supermarkets, to re-enforce this a charge for bags is probably the best way to get the message across, then simply remove the thin plastic bags and supply only re-usable at a price, supply paper bags to hold fruit - but what about fish and meats?

The pouring of drinks into a plastic bag with ice may require a little more thought - for example

Certainly a return to glass bottles is surely another option - especially if there is a refundable charge for return

Interestingly our water supplier charges 10 baht for plastic bottles not returned!!

Aust is introducing a policy to have shoppers bring their own permanent shopping bags to supermarkets. Seems a good idea

• Like 1

Another issue is the vacuum/pre packed foods, polystyrene and plastic! where to go with that one? 6 muffins/ 4 cakes in a plastic container? is a plastic bag worse or actually an improvement?

Perhaps it the littering that requires attention? Education on the disposal? stop people just dropping plastic bags anywhere? Throwing polystyrene anywhere!

There are many issues to be addressed.

Perhaps more pressure on suppliers to improve to more acceptable packaging in some cases?

I have to say there are frequent village clean ups in my area - great people

Edited by 473geo

55 minutes ago, 473geo said:

Another issue is the vacuum/pre packed foods, polystyrene and plastic! where to go with that one? 6 muffins/ 4 cakes in a plastic container? is a plastic bag worse or actually an improvement?

Perhaps it the littering that requires attention? Education on the disposal? stop people just dropping plastic bags anywhere? Throwing polystyrene anywhere!

There are many issues to be addressed.

Perhaps more pressure on suppliers to improve to more acceptable packaging in some cases?

I have to say there are frequent village clean ups in my area - great people

There is no plastic cleanup in my area. My wife agrees that it is a huge problem but does not want me to get involved due to the politics.

The real problem is to how to dispose of polystyrene and film plastic (including general plastic bags) There must be a solution?

An economic solution for poorer persons to collect it seems the best one. Any suggestions 

1 hour ago, 473geo said:

Don't they give you your drink in a plastic bag often because they've poured it out of the glass bottle (which they will then return for recycling)?  (Otherwise, when I've seen drinks in bags, it's just an alternative to a plastic cup, so which is worse?)

I once avoided the bag by just telling the vendor I'd drink it right there-- then simply handed the bottle back.  Not doable in every situation, but I was really thirsty, lol.

3 minutes ago, Katia said:

Don't they give you your drink in a plastic bag often because they've poured it out of the glass bottle (which they will then return for recycling)?  (Otherwise, when I've seen drinks in bags, it's just an alternative to a plastic cup, so which is worse?)

I once avoided the bag by just telling the vendor I'd drink it right there-- then simply handed the bottle back.  Not doable in every situation, but I was really thirsty, lol.

Such as iced coffee is mixed but needs a container, and yes not sure which is worse, cup or bag, but I believe education on disposal when used is a major factor

5 hours ago, Prissana Pescud said:

Lip service is seeming to go along with something when you intend to disregard it later. You promise to change an outcome but disregard it later on.

Politicians do this all the time. For instance all politicians make grand promises before an election. After they are elected, the promises they made are totally ignored. This is called "lip service" to the promise they made. (they make the promise moving their lips but never intended to  do the service)  ie, they are liars but as this seems harsh, it is called "lip service".

If you are taking the pease with this question, I am sure the moderators will enlighten you.

Sorry but what do you mean by "taking the pease"... I'm still not native ????

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Jane Dough said:

The poster meant to say "taking the piece" pissibly. Either way it means "extracting the you're in". 

Or taking the p i ss, a real pommie saying for giving you a bit of a stir. 

To save on a lot more posts:

Pommie is Australian slang for an Englishman, and stir is to make fun at your expense. 

Plastic plastic, everybody complains about it! Along with the fear of running out of oil...plastic is made from oil! The income/outcome of many countries depend on the sale of billions and billions of tons of oil... the world is only playing "lip service" to the minimisation of plastic products...where is Keanu Reeves when you need someone to save the planet??