Plastic bag free day - get ready for Tuesday December 4th

webfact

Plastic bag free day - get ready for Tuesday December 4th

10pm.jpg

Thailand has announced a nationwide plastic bag free day on Tuesday December 4th.

No plastic bags with handles will be given out at department stores and convenience stores on this day.

The Bangkok Insight called it "D-Day". 

Thailand's biggest retail names have signed up to the initiative that marks Thailand Environment Day.

Such firms as CP All (7/11), Central, Makro, Foodland, Tesco Lotus, Robinson's, Big C and Tops are involved. 

An advertising poster said that customers should organize cloth bags and their own baskets. 

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-11-21

Much too little, way too late...

Last week a whale washed up in Indonesia with 6kg of plastic waste in its stomach, including 25 (plastic) bags, 120 cups, etc.

Fish are ingesting microscopic particles of plastic waste, we catch and eat them...

This is the product life-cycle of fossil fuels; throughout our lives we use them every day - even as they slowly poison us to death.

56 minutes ago, webfact said:

No plastic bags with handles will be given out at department stores and convenience stores on this day.

Is there some sort of get-out clause in this?

Is 'with handles' in there in case someone tries to make an issue about food in pre-packaged plastic perhaps?

7 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Is 'with handles' in there in case someone tries to make an issue about food in pre-packaged plastic perhaps?

The pigs begin living in the farmhouse, and rumor has it that they even sleepin beds, a violation of one of the Seven Commandments. But when Clover asks Muriel to read her the appropriate commandment, the two find that it now reads “No animal shall sleep in a bed with sheets.”

5 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

This is very true. No way will the food industry survive if plastic is totally removed.

I remember as a child in the 70's, before plastic 'revolutionized' the food packaging industry; sweets, foodstuff, vegetables were in cardboard and silver foil wraps; shopping was placed in paper bags at the checkout.

Now I am not sure if paper was so bad after all, seeing plastic was supposed to be completely safe, but nobody considered waste...

Drinks and all liquids were in (tin) cans or glass bottles.

My point is, that was not so long ago - look at how much damage plastic has done, in less than 50 years.

25 minutes ago, mok199 said:

Get ready for the BIG photo opp Dec 4th,thumbs up and a free yellow t-shirt...the other 364, its 8 bags / person/day.not counting the foam bowl and plastic spoon and fork

Oh no, how's he going to muscle in on this?

Half a dozen over-stayers with cloth bags over their heads, rather than plastic bags?

2 hours ago, ParadiseLost said:

Last week a whale washed up in Indonesia with 6kg of plastic waste in its stomach, including 25 (plastic) bags, 120 cups, etc.

Fish are ingesting microscopic particles of plastic waste, we catch and eat them...

This is the product life-cycle of fossil fuels; throughout our lives we use them every day - even as they slowly poison us to death.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-03-06/diver-films-wave-of-plastic-pollution-off-bali-coast/9508662

2 hours ago, ParadiseLost said:

Yes, this is a good read. I really have no words. Really so sad this is what our oceans are. Our generation has caused most of it and we really need to support something being done to help clean it up, or at least keep it from getting much worse. I would gladly take a few bags with me to the store when I go shopping if it would help and they were not so readily available everywhere.  

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-46275742?ns_source=facebook&ns_campaign=bbcnews&ocid=socialflow_facebook&ns_mchannel=social

Thailand is currently listed as #6 or #7 worst polluters, in the world, of the ocean (depending on source).   Am pleased to see they're going plastic free for one day. Should contribute greatly to keeping the oceans clean. Supermarkets and convenience stores in China no longer dish out plastic carrier bags. 

As they say every journey begins with a single step. At least something is starting to happen. However, who is going to pay for the emergency medical teams to be stationed outside every 7 / 11 when the staff have a complete nervous breakdown from not being able to dish out three bags, four straws, and two plastic spoons for a pot of yoghourt.....:wacko:

I have 5 carry bags made of cloth that I bring when shopping.

I packed 2 during my SE Asia trip, but never had to use them as I was going everywhere with a small backpack and used that.

I'm trying to figure out what to do to substitute for plastic garbage bags.

It's wasteful to use paper for this.

I've arrived at - using nothing. Put everything in my garbage can, dump it into the dumpster outside.

I'm using empty containers that food came in for anything wet or damp like coffee grounds.

I'm about to start giving this a try.

In Thailand I felt guilty getting take out food which would come in sturdy plastic containers, but didn't have a substitute in mind.

In the US take out tends to be in styrofoam containers - not good either, but the plastic containers are so sturdy they will take centuries to biodegrade if it is even possible.

In a sane world the answer would be to bring a covered stainless steel pot or something like that to the restaurant and have them put the food inside it for take out. Like the Indian lunchboxes.

710ekS6xYtL._SL150_.jpg

All you can really do is regulate yourself and hope others rise to your level of concern and care in time. Reusable carry bags, bringing reusable plastic containers to food markets, proper disposal of waste in garbage cans, not littering. I do remember when travelers would just throw garbage out the window of their car turning America's highways into rubbish ways. They are now reasonably clean with people dumping trash at gas stations and home. Do what you can and teach/encourage others to do what they can.

3 hours ago, mok199 said:

Get ready for the BIG photo opp Dec 4th,thumbs up and a free yellow t-shirt...the other 364, its 8 bags / person/day.not counting the foam bowl and plastic spoon and fork

You forgot to mention the plastic drink cups for the Ice Tea Etc, combined with the plastic bendy straw and the plastic carrying handle

3 plastic items for 1 item purchased - disgraceful.

5 hours ago, naboo said:

Good of Makro to join in.

My question is how I will carry my beers home on the scooter. Usually they hang nicely from the mirrors. I might have to plan something.

At the Makro on Chaeng Wattana road you never get plastic bags. You can buy them, but are not very cheap, which is good, so many customers bring their own. Not sure for other Makros.

All people focus more on plastic bags, but there is so much more. Like all the wrapping in plastic of cans and bottles etc which is totally not needed. The straws, plastic lids on coffee cups and so on. 

About the dead whale with plastic. It is NOT proven or sure that plastic killed the whale. I'm not saying plastic is not a problem and hopefully this kind of news helps to get rid of plastic, but 6kg in a 2 ton whale is like humans swallowing a plastic marble.

But all the market stalls & street vendors will carry on as normal.... if they banned the street ladies/men from using plastic bags the country would grind to a halt !!
Thailand as in all Asian countries have a love of plastic bags, lets face it they even eat food and consume drink directly out of them..... 

No alternative equals no change in habits of a life time !!

Just now, Prairieboy said:

Much of the plastic bag problem stems from the local markets - without plastic bags and Styrofoam containers they would have to shut down. 

If neither was available, they would find an alternative pretty quickly.

Maybe even back to using banana leaves for some food products.

Archived