'I'm just sorry for what I did': Alberta woman arrested in Thailand returns home

rooster59

'I'm just sorry for what I did': Alberta woman arrested in Thailand returns home

Andrea Ross

britany.JPG

Canadian tourist Brittney Schneider, 23, returned home Friday after she was charged with vandalism for spray painting graffiti on an ancient wall in northern Thailand. (Brittney Schneider/Facebook)

A Grande Prairie, Alta., woman who faced a decade in prison for spray-painting an ancient wall in Thailand has returned home and says she is eager to move on from the ordeal.

Brittney Schneider was vacationing in Thailand in October when she was charged with vandalism for her role in spray-painting Tha Pae Gate, the main entrance to the old town of Chiang Mai.

Furlong Lee, a friend from the U.K., was also charged in relation to the incident. 

The pair, both 23, faced a fine of about $40,000 Cdn and up to 10 years in prison. They were initially given a two-year prison sentence, but a judge ultimately gave them a fine of $4,000 each and a one-year suspended sentence.

Full story: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/brittney-schneider-thailand-vandalism-1.4919709

CBC: 2018-11-25

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Graffiti fills some desire for immortality, leaving some evidence that "I was here" that remains long after someone has gone. For those whose lives are otherwise totally empty and the sum total of their value and impact on society is "0",  it may in some small way accomplish/satisfy that desire (until it is washed off, never to be seen again; in most cases a blessing).  It says far more about the person doing it than about the place where it is done. She now "is eager to move on from the ordeal" and return to her vegetative state. Good idea.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Fat Prophet said:

Graffiti fills some desire for immortality, leaving some evidence that "I was here" that remains long after someone has gone. For those whose lives are otherwise totally empty and the sum total of their value and impact on society is "0",  it may in some small way accomplish/satisfy that desire (until it is washed off, never to be seen again; in most cases a blessing).  It says far more about the person doing it than about the place where it is done. She now "is eager to move on from the ordeal" and return to her vegetative state. Good idea.  

People who think it's a good idea to go around painting public or other peoples property should just be stood in the corner and watered daily.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, ezzra said:

The notion that countries like Thailand are a backwater county populated with peasants and they can do whatever they like they would not dear do at home propel such stupid and irresponsible acts...

And that notion is well served by the peripatetic Thai bashers, collectively waxing lyrical on each and every perceived national shortcoming.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

And that notion is well served by the peripatetic Thai bashers, collectively waxing lyrical on each and every perceived national shortcoming.

''Perceived National shortcomings''....that's priceless...your best yet!!!..I .''.keep em coming''

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, mok199 said:

''Perceived National shortcomings''....that's priceless...your best yet!!!..I .''.keep em coming''

I haven't seen your contribution to the "...Bangkok - Nakhon Ratchasima high speed rail project finished" thread yet. Why on earth are you spinning your wheels here?

27 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

And the healthiest way to overcome these feelings of contempt for people with contempt is obviously more contempt. 

• Haha 1