I Can't Open My Safe!

simon43

Yesterday I bought an office fire-safe in Tesco-Lotus, special price 1,985 baht (down from 3,900 baht).

I thought my Thai reading skills were ok, but I follwed these instructions and can't open the ###### thing!! Either there is some subtle instruction or I've been sold a duff safe...

Here is the instruction label, (code numbers removed just in case...)

post-174-1171764298_thumb.jpg

Can someone please help with this translation?

Thanks

Simon

ขั้นที่ 1 หมุนรหัสไปทางขวา (ตามเข็มนาฬิกา) ให้หมายเลข

ผ่านขีดกลาง 4 ครั้ง และหยุดในครั้งที 4

ขั้นที่ 2 หมุนรหัสไปทางซ้าย (ทวนเข็มนาฬิกา) ให้หมายเลข

ผ่านขีดกลาง 3 ครั้ง และหยุดในครั้งที 3

ขั้นที่ 3 หมุนรหัสไปทางขวา (ตามเข็มนาฬิกา) ให้หมายเลข

ผ่านขีดกลาง 2 ครั้ง และหยุดในครั้งที 2

ขั้นที่ 4 หมุนรหัสไปทางซ้าย (ทวนเข็มนาฬิกา) ให้หมายเลข

หยุดตรงขีดกลาง ในครั้งที่ 1 ถือเป็นการสิ้นสุด

As far as I can tell it's

Step 1 Turn dial clockwise 4 marks and stop at the centre of the 4th mark

Step 2 Turn dial anti clockwise 3 marks and stop at the centre of the 3rd mark

Step 3 Turn dial clockwise 2 marks and stop at the centre of the 2nd mark

Step 4 Turn dial anti clockwise and stop at the centre of the Ist mark, then you are finished successfully

In other words Right 4 Back 3 Right 2 Back 1.

I can't see that it can mean anything else. :o

หมายเหตุ ในกรณีที่หมุนรหัสผิดพลาดในขั้นตอนใด

ก็ให้เริ่มต้นหมุนรหัสใหม่ตั้งแต่ขั้นตอนที่ 1 ทุกครั้งไป

If you do incorrectly, always start from step 1 every time

Edited by loong

Yesterday I bought an office fire-safe in Tesco-Lotus, special price 1,985 baht (down from 3,900 baht).

I can't see anything unusual in the instructions, but why was it reduced? When locks are dropped, the ring of numbers may move slightly, and with a new lock that could easily result in your stopping at the wrong position. That caused us a big problem with locking bars until we realised the problem.

Second catch - how many stopping marks do you have on the dial? Some have two, one for unlocking and another for changing the combination. As the instructions refer to the 'central mark', I assume you have one mark at 12 o'clock and another at a different position (perhaps 10 o'clock).

As to the translation, I think it's quite straight forward:

How to Unlock The Safe

Step 1: Turn the dial rightwards (clockwise) so the number passes the central mark 4 times and stop on the 4th time.

Step 2: Turn the dial rightwards (anti-clockwise) so the number passes the central mark 3 times and stop on the 3rd time.

Step 3: Turn the dial rightwards (clockwise) so the number passes the central mark 2 times and stop on the 2nd time.

Step 4: Turn the dial rightwards (anti-clockwise) so the number stops exactly at the central mark on the first time and hold [the position] as completion of turning the dial to open the safe.

Note: If you turn the dial incorrectly at any stage, start the whole process again from step 1.

Step 4 is not my experience - with the safe I use, I just keep turning until the lock opens, but perhaps you do have to stop yours at the right place.

Loong and I have translated ขีดกลาง slightly differently - the difference may matter, and we've disagreed on how much emphasis to give ตรง in Step 4.

OK - your translations were similar to my interpretation of the instructions, but I still couldn't open the ###### thing!

In frustration, I turned to drink and downed 6 beer Lao . . . .

I then found that in my drunken state, I could open the safe at every attempt :o

Not sure what this proves though . . .

Simon

OK - your translations were similar to my interpretation of the instructions, but I still couldn't open the ###### thing!

I then found that in my drunken state, I could open the safe at every attempt :o

Simon

It proves that Beer Lao is the way forward. I'll take your advice right this minute (although the missus will get upset as she wants to go to bed - with a cuddle.).

Simon, you have a hotel right? Do you have a website? I want a 3 or 4 day break at the end of the month, am contemplating Phuket, and I'd rather give business to a Thaivisa member - particularly a decent one, like yourself.

I then found that in my drunken state, I could open the safe at every attempt :D

Simon

Simon, you have a hotel right? Do you have a website? I want a 3 or 4 day break at the end of the month, am contemplating Phuket, and I'd rather give business to a Thaivisa member - particularly a decent one, like yourself.

Amazing how people want to move in with you when you publish your safe combination on the net :o

Just kidding :D

Hi - My hotel is in north Phuket, near to NaiYang Beach. The website is at www.PhuketAirportHotel.com

Cheers!

Simon

Do you think it's a good idea to tell everyone where you live 3 posts after you've told them how to open your safe? :o

Actually, I meant to put that website address in a PM, not on this thread, since that's against forum rules. (Clearly, I am still drunk!!). Mods please remove if you wish.

You are welcome to come and open my safe. There is only an empty beer bottle inside :o

Simon