30 Day Arrival Stamp 30 Day Extension

2 minutes ago, anthrosciguy said:

To get an extension for the 30-day stamp, do you have to go to immigration on the last day of that stamp's validity, or can you get it earlier and still have be 30 days added to the stamp's date?

You can do the extension a week early and the extension will start from the date the 30 days ends.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
Hi there,
I've returned to Thailand and have gotten a 30-day stamp when I arrived Wednesday.  It's good until March 8th.  I'm a US citizen. I plan on going to the Jomtien Immigration office and getting a 30 extension.  I was in Thailand for two months Nov-Jan getting my extension in Koh Samui. I went to the Philippines for a month before returning to Thailand. Previously I was in Thailand for the first time in December 2017 for 14 days. I'm 58.

My questions: Will I have a problem getting another 30-day stamp? And should I be doing something different if I'm going to come to the country for two-four months at a time?  

I did notice that the immigration officer at the airport really poured through my passport.  And instead of stamping on a page that had my other Thailand stamps, he opted for a fresh page.  ????  My pages are dwindling.

29 minutes ago, sudsy said:

My questions: Will I have a problem getting another 30-day stamp? And should I be doing something different if I'm going to come to the country for two-four months at a time?  

You will not have a problem with the 30-day extension at Jomtien, provided a TM-30 report was filed by you or your landlord (if staying in a hotel, they should have done this).

As far as getting another 30-day Visa Exempt entry in the future: If you are coming for months at a time, I would suggest you get Tourist Visas and enter on those.  Staying out months in between stays will reduce the chances of having problems entering at bad entry points (airports), but they are more strict with Visa-Exempt entries. 

If entering at land-borders, all except Poipet/Aranyaprathet will permit entry with a Tourist Visa, per reports for the past several years.  Land borders will also allow Visa-Exempt entries twice per calendar year, without hassle - but best to save those for cases when a Tourist Visa is not issued as planned..

29 minutes ago, sudsy said:
I did notice that the immigration officer at the airport really poured through my passport.  And instead of stamping on a page that had my other Thailand stamps, he opted for a fresh page.  ????  My pages are dwindling.

This is not uncommon.  They seem to examine every page with anything on it - and are not known to save space with regard to where they put their stamps.

• Like 1

Please allow me to ask my simple question concerning 30 day visa on arrival and getting a 30 day extension at Jomtien.  I believe that the answer is yes but, with all that is going on with visas, I am paranoid.  

I spent 28 days in Thailand at the end of 2017, wife and I spent 23 days in Apr-May 2018 and I spent 19 days in Oct 2018.  Only other stanps in passport is a seven day trip to Spain last week.

I arrive in Thailand this coming Wednesday late on the 13th.  I have a return flight 55 days later.  I have never been asked to show tickets of return/onward flight but understand that they can request that and proof of 20k Baht.

My angst is whether I can be denied entry for whatever reason the IO desires like not having a return flight within the VOA. Cannot imagine it happening but it is a long flight from San Diego, California to think about.

If I cannot overcome my fear, I can certainly purchase a fully refundable, one way ticket home and cancel it after I get my extension from Jomtien.  Seems like a waste of time but I am paranoid.

Am I worrying and paranoid too much?  Appreciate your thoughts.  Thanks.

A ticket to Laos would be $72 within the VOA timeframe.  Would this work for follow on flight?  I would not use the ticket.  If I was denied the extension, I would change my flight back to U.S.  Thanks.

Vientiane
Laos. 
bangkokairways.pngBangkok AirwaysPG 943

There is no 30 day visa on arrival (they only allow a 15 day entry). I assume you mean a 30 day visa exempt entry.

A one way ticket to anywhere within 30 days of arrival will accepted if needed. It is often the airline that asks for one not immigration.

• Like 1

On 2/9/2019 at 10:30 PM, lovesthespicy said:

Oh it can only be up to a week early? I was going to do one two weeks early i never knew that.

Same question. Can you do it for three weeks or two weeks early?  Also, how many times can you go to Immigration and pay 1900 and get 30 more days?  Once, twice, more??

30 minutes ago, sudsy said:

Same question. Can you do it for three weeks or two weeks early?  Also, how many times can you go to Immigration and pay 1900 and get 30 more days?  Once, twice, more??

It can be done up two weeks early at most office and longer at a few offices.

You can only get one 30 day extension per entry. You can get as many as you want to if you have a new entry.

• Like 2

On 2/11/2019 at 12:34 AM, ubonjoe said:

A one way ticket to anywhere within 30 days of arrival will accepted if needed. It is often the airline that asks for one not immigration.

You were absolutely correct about the airlines.  Japan Airlines quizzed me about being in Thailand for 55 days and all was well when I showed the flight to Laos at the 27th day.  

Thanks so much for the information.

I put this in another thread but thought it would also be most relevant here.  Thanks.  Waking up my first day and looking forward to tonight on Walking Street.

“Just flew in to Bangkok airport and got to talking with another American about his travels.  He indicated that he had spent over seven months last year in Thailand on visa exempt and extensions.

He went to the counter and was quizzed for a couple of minutes about his onward flight out of Thailand.  He said that he did not have a paper copy of the onward flight but he could call it up on his phone.  After doing so, he was granted entry.

I had my follow on flight ready but was not asked for it.  I spent a total of about 40 days in Thailand last year.

One other thing that I have never seen before was that four people were having their bags inspected by customs and the desk was manned.  Do not know if it means anything.  They people looked like they were from western countries.”

On 2/14/2019 at 8:57 AM, George36 said:

One other thing that I have never seen before was that four people were having their bags inspected by customs and the desk was manned.  Do not know if it means anything.  They people looked like they were from western countries.”

I was on one of the Thia Island recently and when I picked up my checked bag it had a tag that said, "Bag hand checked" or something similar. 

• 4 months later...
On 2/12/2019 at 11:56 AM, ubonjoe said:

It can be done up two weeks early at most office and longer at a few offices.

You can only get one 30 day extension per entry. You can get as many as you want to if you have a new entry.

Hello, Sorry if I'm being redundant.  Can the extension be done at Chaengwattana 10 days before expiration of 30 day exempt?  I've read conflicting information, some say 1 week - others say 2 weeks.

Trying to suss this out.  Thanks