Extreme Brexit could be worse than financial crisis for UK: BoE

webfact

1 minute ago, sanemax said:

Although when the Pound crashes next month , you wont be able to afford it and you will have to work for another 10-15 years 

Maybe he has non-UK assets and has hedged in anticipation of such events. Some people have.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, aright said:

I don't have a crystal ball although you appear to because you think its going to last your lifetime and the UK will be tradeless and looking for food parcels on 1st April. Based on no change It will be a slow to medium demise and I already made reference in a previous post that the demise started when Germany adopted the Euro, then it was influenced by the UK's referendum vote then enhanced as a result of the last European elections followed by torchings in France by people in yellow shirts and will be better defined by the up coming elections in May. At the moment without political and social changes I'm thinking 3-4 years but it has to be said the EU will be the victim or beneficiary of events. 

Please tell what way you think the May elections will go? I have to accept since you didn't accept or comment on my perceived problems in the EU you think the voters of the member states will overwhelmingly endorse the European Project. If they don't what do you think the EU should do about it?

3-4 YEARS OMG HAVE YOU BEEN DRINKING,you will get 100-1 at bookies for that,the yellow vests in france were a protest at the french govts increase in fuel duty NOT at the EU,the UK had truck convoys or something 10 or so years ago if i remember again not an EU issue,social change? what exactly does that mean? I dont vote in UK elections never mind EU one's,i didnt even vote in the referundum but if people from EU nations want out of the EU then parties need to be formed in them nations to see it through that is the way to do it,but they know they wont ever get enough vote's.as for the UK it will be carry on as before just with more people out of work and a weaker economy and making the same laws it would of if it had still been in and people will think what a waste of time and money.

2 minutes ago, bomber said:

3-4 YEARS OMG HAVE YOU BEEN DRINKING,you will get 100-1 at bookies for that,the yellow vests in france were a protest at the french govts increase in fuel duty NOT at the EU,the UK had truck convoys or something 10 or so years ago if i remember again not an EU issue,social change? what exactly does that mean? I dont vote in UK elections never mind EU one's,i didnt even vote in the referundum but if people from EU nations want out of the EU then parties need to be formed in them nations to see it through that is the way to do it,but they know they wont ever get enough vote's.as for the UK it will be carry on as before just with more people out of work and a weaker economy and making the same laws it would of if it had still been in and people will think what a waste of time and money.

You accuse me of not answering your question so I do and you disagree with me and that's fine.

I then ask you 2 questions and I get silence. Practice what you preach.

Please tell what way you think the May elections will go? 

If they don't what do you think the EU should do about it?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Although when the Pound crashes next month , you wont be able to afford it and you will have to work for another 10-15 years 

i have more than enough funds to cover any crash,i might have to be a tight bugger at a pound been worth €0.40 though,iam not ya typical Brit who sold everything at 45-50 and went to pattaya with £75000 when the £ was at 76bt and expected to live forever,met plenty of them and no sympathy with them.

• Sad 2

4 minutes ago, nontabury said:

bomber is not alone in talking his country down,it seems to be an affliction that effects many remainer.

Expressing concern about the consequences of Brexit, especially the worst case scenario of a no deal Brexit, is not talking the country down.

Of course, I understand that such reality checks are difficult for you and your fellow Brexiteers to accept; hence your need to dismiss such concerns out of hand and belittle those who are concerned about them.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

Maybe he has non-UK assets and has hedged in anticipation of such events. Some people have.

i have 3 houses to sell a decent pension in 4 years and good amount of savings,a partner with a decent job and home,thats more than enough 3 or 4 times over,i havent hedged as such but i have changed some cash in the last year when i thought the rate was decent,tbf todays rate is fine by me as its not important,if it could be better than good but i wont lose any sleep over it.

14 minutes ago, aright said:

You accuse me of not answering your question so I do and you disagree with me and that's fine.

I then ask you 2 questions and I get silence. Practice what you preach.

Please tell what way you think the May elections will go? 

If they don't what do you think the EU should do about it?

i neither care nor know how the may elections will go,i wont be voting,but maybe you should tell me what the 2 ways are then i might give you a reply,who are you voting for? 

On 2/14/2019 at 2:05 PM, Grouse said:

Correct, I've charged 1,000 USD per day in Thailand for years. 

Nuff  said ,

Your taxable  profits , been  declared , in  your beloved UK,  on your investents , in this poor third world country .??

Proud to be British ?  ,   You should make a good thai soap opera star,  our leading actor ,

the Great White Hunter, our saviour .

One who alone, who  civilised   Thailand ,  a  highly educated/ wealthy missionary ,  we are indeed blessed .. 555

Let us not forget ,    you   pay tax , Na ka.  555

Edited by elliss
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, 7by7 said:

Expressing concern about the consequences of Brexit, especially the worst case scenario of a no deal Brexit, is not talking the country down.

Of course, I understand that such reality checks are difficult for you and your fellow Brexiteers to accept; hence your need to dismiss such concerns out of hand and belittle those who are concerned about them.

nontabury is living in dream land,how anybody can still think britian is great these days needs help,brexit or no brexit,wasnt he the poster who posted that wonderful map of the UK on here,with the pakistani oversea's territories we know as yorkshire as "true england"????  

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, aright said:

Yes a lot of your opinions are based on not caring or knowing. I won't be voting in the May elections either, we will likely be out of the EU by then but if we aren't I will vote for any pro Brexit candidate. I will be concerned however at 2 levels Firstly I have friends in the EU many with families to support and I would want the best for them. Secondly if things go belly up in the EU although we are not attached my business  and the UK in general will likely catch a cold. I/We have no plans to stop trading with the EU.

i dont see how you voting for the your local tattoed ex jailbird pro brexit candidate would help your EU mates,surely if they are so against the EU they would have parties to vote for to remove themselves,but iam afraid the vast majority are still happy being in the EU,brexit and the mess will only of enhanced those numbers.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, aright said:

Not voting in UK or EU elections is not expressing concern about the consequences of Brexit, in fact it's a distinct lack of concern.

my vote in the UK is a waste,i live in a Labour stronghold,i would vote if it were based on numbers,dont forget 52% of the nation could vote tory and the loonies could still in,EU elections never interested me either no need to being in never did me any harm.

34 minutes ago, bomber said:

i dont see how you voting for the your local tattoed ex jailbird pro brexit candidate would help your EU mates,surely if they are so against the EU they would have parties to vote for to remove themselves,but iam afraid the vast majority are still happy being in the EU,brexit and the mess will only of enhanced those numbers.

27 minutes ago, bomber said:

my vote in the UK is a waste,i live in a Labour stronghold,i would vote if it were based on numbers,dont forget 52% of the nation could vote tory and the loonies could still in,EU elections never interested me either no need to being in never did me any harm.

There are 4 tenets of citizenship...so called civic duties.

Obeying laws, serving on juries, paying taxes and voting in elections.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, aright said:

There are 4 tenets of citizenship...so called civic duties.

Obeying laws, serving on juries, paying taxes and voting in elections.

sorry but your wrong,my farther is 75 and never voted in his life,ive voted only twice and not for 20 odd years,i have served on a jury though and ive obeyed laws to the best of my ability,and paid my taxes.

1 minute ago, sanemax said:

No, once you have voted , you cannot change your mind .

Well , you can change your mind , but you cannot change your vote .

Once you have voted , then thats your opinion caste .

You cannot go back a few days , weeks, years later and try to change your vote .

As soon as your vote is in the ballot box , thats it  , no going back

have you ever heard of retrials.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, sanemax said:

I have yes , but they are nothing to do with referendums and voting .

Like , if you are down spoonies and order the Monday club special , a chicken curry and a pint of lager for  fiver , you cannot go back on the Tuesday and say "ere gov, I changed my mind , I wanted sausage and chips and a cider" can you 

there was a vote in my area to keep the 7 local councils or make 1 unitary council,the result was 64% or there abouts to keep it as it was,guess what happened next

Civil Servants are not bureaucrats in the UK. Unlike the EU they don't propose or enact legislation.

You are right in one respect however what would be the point in voting in a Secretary of the European Commission when there is only one candidate...….I wonder why that was.

The Martin Selmayr affair, which reveals much about attitudes to power and accountability at the top of  the EU, is both depressing and depressingly familiar.

What the Selmayr affair really reveals, however, is just how little those at the commission care about accounting for their actions. If they want to do something, they  will do it, the rulebook be damned

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/2018/09/04/martin-selmayr-affair-displays-breathtaking-arrogance-brussels/

• Like 2

7 hours ago, aright said:

I won't be taking any lectures from Remainers on democracy, you showed your colours after the referendum. Just remind me at what democratic EU election did I vote for Martin Selmayr.

As far as voting is concerned;-

Not voting makes you the problem. (hardly expressing concerns is it?)

Not voting means voting for the candidate you dislike.

Not voting is a pathetic, ineffective form of protest.

"Not voting is a pathetic, ineffective form of protest."

In the absence of PR, I've thought for decades that in GEs there should be an additional option 'None of the above'.

This would likely encourage more of the electorate to vote, and if enough people voted this way - it might force the govt. to take notice!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, aright said:

Civil Servants are not bureaucrats in the UK. Unlike the EU they don't propose or enact legislation.

You are right in one respect however what would be the point in voting in a Secretary of the European Commission when there is only one candidate...….I wonder why that was.

The Martin Selmayr affair, which reveals much about attitudes to power and accountability at the top of  the EU, is both depressing and depressingly familiar.

What the Selmayr affair really reveals, however, is just how little those at the commission care about accounting for their actions. If they want to do something, they  will do it, the rulebook be damned

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/2018/09/04/martin-selmayr-affair-displays-breathtaking-arrogance-brussels/

is this some lesson in US English or Australian English?

it is definitely not compatible with British English.

they are not bureaucrats because they don't propose legislation?

they are not bureaucrats because they don't enact legislation?

agree, Selmayr hiring was a said story

• Sad 1